Luke Del Rio is gone - Blake Sims / QB discussion

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Re: It appears Luke Del Rio is leaving / Blake Sims discussion

What facts have you posted to show Blake isn't as good? All I hear or read is "He's just not as good" or "We're not changing our offense. We play Bama ball."
I'll preface my comments by saying that I don't think there is a significant enough sample size with any of the potential QB's to really make a fair assessment. Sims happens to have the most for fans to examine and might be getting ripped simply because of that fact.

I believe that our QB next year will be the person that can be trusted to make the least mistakes. My concern with Sims is very similar to CrimsonForce's he made two horrible throws for interceptions in the Aday game that I can recall. I mean they were absolutely horrible and he knew it as he threw them. Can Sims be coached to throw the ball away and live for the next play? If he can then I do think he has the ability to win the job. He doesn't have the greatest arm but with his running ability and our running game we would be able to score points on people.

Up to this point I haven't seen the decision making from Sims that leads me to believe he will win the starting job. The problem is I don't know the decision making of the other QBs. I think it's left fans just hoping there is something better than what Sims has shown up to this point.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: It appears Luke Del Rio is leaving

The fact that I seem to be one of the few people that saw him throw the ball on his first A-Day! The fact is he might not have a cannon, but he can throw the deep ball! I've seen it, and anyone who uses some play with him scrambling as proof that he can't, is just ill-informed. I know for a fact that the arm strength issue is not as some are making it out to be, some people seem to think Blake got slower and weaker once he was at Alabama for a little while, that's laughable.

That's what I'm caught up on, people claim he's weaker and slower than he actually is, and they really seem to want to believe it. The fact is, while he might not typically be able to run it, he's been clocked at 4.40. The fact is, his times have been listed as being almost identical to Nick Marshall (I'm not even saying he's as fast, but it's close enough not to be a big deal). Yet, some people here swear he's much slower. I've seen him throw the deep ball, yet some here swear he can't. Why are they so dead set on this to the extent that they'll just ignore the evidence to the contrary?
Two things you haven't heard me say: 1. He doesn't have arm strength and 2. He's not fast enough.

I realize others have made similar claims but I haven't.

I'm more concerned with his accuracy in some of the throws (even pretty easy throws) I've seen him make in some game action this past year.

But I did chuckle just a little hearing you describe his arm strength. It reminds me of the joke about the guy who took an elephant to the golf course to win some bets but I digress.

Arm strength or lack thereof isn't all that it's cracked up to be at the college level, but accuracy is another story.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Up to this point I haven't seen the decision making from Sims that leads me to believe he will win the starting job. The problem is I don't know the decision making of the other QBs. I think it's left fans just hoping there is something better than what Sims has shown up to this point.
You may have just written the perfect summation to this thread! I think you describe exactly how I feel especially in the last sentence!

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

I'm just hoping Coker comes in to save us all. He and Duron Carter will be awesome once we get them on the field!

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

I know. I read that thread too. It's me venting about the amount of talk about him and when he comes to play. It seems excessive when it's far from a done deal. Once he's here, debate on, and I agree to some extent with both sides of the debate. However, I feel that it is unfair to throw BS under the bus because of the potential of a guy who has never publicly indicated a plan to attend the University of Alabama. If you want to compare Sims to other QBs on the roster or publicly committed to Bama, that seems like fair game.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

I know. I read that thread too. It's me venting about the amount of talk about him and when he comes to play. It seems excessive when it's far from a done deal. Once he's here, debate on, and I agree to some extent with both sides of the debate. However, I feel that it is unfair to throw BS under the bus because of the potential of a guy who has never publicly indicated a plan to attend the University of Alabama. If you want to compare Sims to other QBs on the roster or publicly committed to Bama, that seems like fair game.
Isn't that kinda like asking Bama fans not to speculate about all these recruits still going somewhere? Besides, Norwood and the guys must be somewhat interested themselves. They're talking too. Just talk.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

It has been said on here that the rumor of Luke Del Rio transferring to Oregon State occurred before Lane Kiffin was hired. Would it be correct to say the rumor of Luke Del Rio transferring to Oregon State occurred about the same time as the rumor of Lane Kiffin coming to Bama?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Luke will be immediately eligible at Oregon State this year.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-beavers-qb-luke-del-rio-eligible-play-season

CORVALLIS, Ore. -- Oregon State transfer quarterback Luke Del Rio will be eligible to play this fall for the Beavers.
The redshirt freshman found out Friday following the Beavers' practice that he wouldn't need to sit out for a season following his appeal to the NCAA for immediate eligibility. He spent last season as a walk-on quarterback at Alabama, where he didn't take any game snaps, and transferred to Oregon State in January.

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
I was at the scrimmage today and practice yesterday. Sims is head and shoulders ahead of the rest.

RTR '14

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
He made some great throws today in scrimmage. He also seemed to have more control of the offense than the others.

RTR '14

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I was at the scrimmage today and practice yesterday. Sims is head and shoulders ahead of the rest.

RTR '14
That's awesome & I really hope Blake wins the starting job, and is rewarded for waiting his turn, and for the extra work he's put in this summer to improve his QB play..Cause having a QB that can tuck the ball & running when the protection breaks down or the WR's aren't open..It's a feature that will add a dimension to our offense we haven't had the luxary of having at Bama..Can y'all imagine how explosive this will make our offense when the running game is clicking & having a QB that can burn a D with his legs, will give DC's heartburn, trying to come up with a plan to stop Blake & our offense..I haven't been this excited about our offense in, well, I actually have never been this excited at the possibilities Coach Kiffin will have as our OC..And the changes to our offense under Coach K is endless & awesome to think about..

Last edited:

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
I sat in about an hour or so chalk talk with Kiffin Thursday night. I'm excited about what he's going to bring.

RTR '14

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I sat in about an hour or so chalk talk with Kiffin Thursday night. I'm excited about what he's going to bring.

RTR '14
Awesome..What kinda wrinkles in our offense do you expect from Coach Kiffin???..Personally..With our stable of RB's we have at his disposal, I want us to use to Shotgun Formation, like The Barn would use with Ronnie Brown & Cadillac Williams, when they would be in a split formation out of the shotgun, we could be deadly using that with Henry & Yeldon or Drake..I get excited thinking about the possibilities..

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
Two back gun is in, Fowler was used a lot in it. Also, the Pistol Diamond with Derrick Henry pounding the rock was used quite a bit in the scrimmage. Also, I expect a west coast flavor passing game.

RTR '14

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Two back gun is in, Fowler was used a lot in it. Also, the Pistol Diamond with Derrick Henry pounding the rock was used quite a bit in the scrimmage. Also, I expect a west coast flavor passing game.

RTR '14
Thanks for the info TP50 & you made my night Brother..I get all giddy & stuff thinking of the possibilites..Sounds like we're going to be even more multiple than we already was under Coach Kiffin..The season needs to hurry & get here..College football "Withdrawal" is bout as bad as cocaine for us Bama Fans..LOL

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.