Surprising Coaching changes

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Stacy Luker won 5 state titles at Sweet Water and seems to be retiring from the Alabama system and has taken a job a Neshoba Central in Mississippi. One thing is for sure, they are getting one good coach!

Also Chris Smelley is supposedly taking the job to be Head Coach at American Christian in Tuscaloosa where he played.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Stacy Luker won 5 state titles at Sweet Water and seems to be retiring from the Alabama system and has taken a job a Neshoba Central in Mississippi. One thing is for sure, they are getting one good coach!

Also Chris Smelley is supposedly taking the job to be Head Coach at American Christian in Tuscaloosa where he played.
I forget, but who was ACA's coach the last few years, and did he move on to another HC job? Wasn't he a former player at UA?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Jamey Dubose just resigned at Florence to take the Charles Henderson job. He goes from Prattville (6A) to Florence (6A) to Charles Henderson (4A).

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
We have moved back to 5A. We are also very excited to be rid of our former Coach, the psychotic Mike Dean and we welcome Coach Dubose! It is a very exciting time for our school! :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We have moved back to 5A. We are also very excited to be rid of our former Coach, the psychotic Mike Dean and we welcome Coach Dubose! It is a very exciting time for our school! :)
As a Prattville student while DuBose was there, I can tell you what will happen: He will lose at least one game a year he shouldn't. He'll also bolt after a short time. He was HC at Prattville for 3 years and at Florence for 2. At both stops, he had elite D-1 talent and left the following year.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
As a Prattville student while DuBose was there, I can tell you what will happen: He will lose at least one game a year he shouldn't. He'll also bolt after a short time. He was HC at Prattville for 3 years and at Florence for 2. At both stops, he had elite D-1 talent and left the following year.
We are losing a good bit of the talent that got us to the 4A state championship game, but we have a 3rd year starting QB and a 4* LB who is being recruited by Bama, Auburn, Kentucky and a few other schools, several running backs and some good receivers coming back. He actually can BUILD a program if he will stay put for a few years. The challenge will be getting kids who quit because of Mike Dean to come back. We could be a contender next year as well if the kids buy in. Dubose has many friends in Troy and his boss in Prattville will be his boss here. I would be grateful for 2 years of Dubose after the hell our kids and parents went through with Dean. If he has ever had the desire to BUILD a program, he is in a great place to do it.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Jamey Dubose just resigned at Florence to take the Charles Henderson job. He goes from Prattville (6A) to Florence (6A) to Charles Henderson (4A).
That was VERY surprising, but he had a history with the AD or principal there. From what I hear though I would NEVER take a job in Troy or Pike County period. I think Dubose screwed up, Troy will expect him to win big right away where Florence would have kept him forever after what he done this year.

I forget, but who was ACA's coach the last few years, and did he move on to another HC job? Wasn't he a former player at UA?
John Causey

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That was VERY surprising, but he had a history with the AD or principal there. From what I hear though I would NEVER take a job in Troy or Pike County period. I think Dubose screwed up, Troy will expect him to win big right away where Florence would have kept him forever after what he done this year.
The Pike County superintendent was PHS's principal while Dubose was there.

Belle, I can tell you folks won't be thrilled about Dubose after a few seasons. I doubt he stays that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

John Causey
I'm curious. Why wouldn't you take a job in Troy at CHHS?

We had a winning program under an mentally unstable head coach so one with more mental stability should be a blessing. haha.

The Pike County superintendent was PHS's principal while Dubose was there.

Belle, I can tell you folks won't be thrilled about Dubose after a few seasons. I doubt he stays that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, Troy City Schools superintendent was principal at Prattville when Dubose was there. Pike County's Superintendent is Mark Bazzell.

Jamey's home is the wiregrass area, so I don't have any reason to believe he will bolt unless he is unsuccessful. His college roommates and best friends are here. If he leaves quickly it will be because he can't do anything with our program. I'm very involved with athletics here. I serve on the board of our Athletic Foundation and Sports Boosters. My husband is a volunteer assistant varsity baseball coach. There is great community support here. The Dubose family has many friends here so it should be a smooth transition. Mike Dean resisted EVERY effort of outreach and refused to get involved in the community. He made himself an outcast by acting like a complete idiot in public. He has a very anti-social personality and offended and shunned people every time he turned around. He would not allow people to help him or befriend him. He ended up biting the hand that fed him, so to speak, which ultimately led to his resigning. It was a real blessing to have him leave. I don't care how much you win, if you care nothing about the people you are leading, then your efforts are worthless. All the bashing of our school and our town he has done in the papers shows a man who is unstable and bitter. I feel sorry for the kids at Mary Montgomery HS who now have to endure his presence. If I was a parent, I would be concerned and would not want this man within 10 feet of my children.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Belle coaches talk, it's like a gossip circle honestly. Troy does NOT have a good name behind it with the coaches, it was the same way when Wayne Grant was winning big in Brundidge as well.

We'll find out for sure now though because they got a homerun hire in Dubose IMHO.

The Dean situation was very odd to say the least. The things he said on his way out in the media was crazy! I'm not taking sides as I don't know Troy or Dean but that was just weird.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Belle coaches talk, it's like a gossip circle honestly. Troy does NOT have a good name behind it with the coaches, it was the same way when Wayne Grant was winning big in Brundidge as well.

We'll find out for sure now though because they got a homerun hire in Dubose IMHO.

The Dean situation was very odd to say the least. The things he said on his way out in the media was crazy! I'm not taking sides as I don't know Troy or Dean but that was just weird.
Well, we kept a mediocre coach for 19 years because people liked his family. We also live in the shadow of Larry Blakeney--keep it down home, cuz. ;) He finally gave a CHHS football player a scholarship this year--a kid that honestly blossomed too late. He could play at ANY D-1 powerhouse.

The whole Dean situation is like the Twilight Zone, much like his personality. If you would like the whole story, because Lawd knows it needs to be out there, PM me. I can tell you exactly how it went down because I was a part of it. Still bamboozled, but so glad he is gone!

I hope that Jamey can change whatever negative "coach press" we have. We are around coaches a lot, and yes, they gossip. Haha! Makes us mama's and coaches wives look good! ;) Seriously, there are always some awesome stories to be told. Anyway, We are nothing like Pike Co. and Wayne Grant--he was coaching the private school here until they canned him. CHHS hasn't "won big" since this year but I believe that was because we had talented kids and good ASST. coaches. We have a very active support system, including an Athletic Foundation that raised $75K last year for athletics.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Mike Dean resisted EVERY effort of outreach and refused to get involved in the community. He made himself an outcast by acting like a complete idiot in public. He has a very anti-social personality and offended and shunned people every time he turned around. He would not allow people to help him or befriend him. He ended up biting the hand that fed him, so to speak, which ultimately led to his resigning. It was a real blessing to have him leave. I don't care how much you win, if you care nothing about the people you are leading, then your efforts are worthless. All the bashing of our school and our town he has done in the papers shows a man who is unstable and bitter. I feel sorry for the kids at Mary Montgomery HS who now have to endure his presence. If I was a parent, I would be concerned and would not want this man within 10 feet of my children.
Do you know if he came from NW Alabama? I think around 25 years ago there was a coach by the same name in that area. MG Montgomery is a tough place to win it seems. I think they were 1-9 last season.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think he is from the Semmes area actually, or his wife was one I forget but I think that was why he went to MGM.

Belle check your PM's, I'd love to hear this story:)

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Do you know if he came from NW Alabama? I think around 25 years ago there was a coach by the same name in that area. MG Montgomery is a tough place to win it seems. I think they were 1-9 last season.
Yes, he is originally from the Mobile area. He and his wife, both. He has coached at Fairhope, McGill-Toolen, Valley, Daleville and CHHS all within a 6 year period. He dad coached at Fairhope, UMS-Wright and McGill.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Wow he really got around! I knew he moved around but I didn't even know he roamed that much. I don't see him surviving MGM, it is a lot like Robertsdale in that it will swallow up even good coaches! Just can't win there with the teams you have to play. With MGM moving up to 7A he will be an unknown before you know it. He might be paid well for it but I just don't see them putting up with it for too long.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Yes, he is originally from the Mobile area. He and his wife, both. He has coached at Fairhope, McGill-Toolen, Valley, Daleville and CHHS all within a 6 year period. He dad coached at Fairhope, UMS-Wright and McGill.
Ok, thanks. Not the same one that I was thinking of. The MGM school site only had asst. coach pictures, so that's why I asked.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From WSFA's sports reporter:

@jeff_shearer Jamey DuBose will be introduced as new coach at Central-Phenix City at 5 p.m. Central. Wanted to be in 7A. Leaving Charles Henderson HS.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Wow!!! Talk about something wild there. I didn't even think Dubose would have left Henderson after he left Florence for them and the fact he had a personal tie to the principal or whatever there. Now he is leaving them for Central? Wow....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.