Coach Strong brings culture shock to Bevo U.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Reminds me of the Dubose/Shula years. Players got soft and discipline was non-existent.

It at least appears that Strong is doing the right things to change the culture there.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Can the University buy out off campus apartment leases without running afoul of NCAA rules?

Well, since the school is ordering them to live on campus, I guess it would be OK if they picked up costs in getting out of the lease. I guess it would be different it a player was moving out of one apartment into another one.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I like what Strong is doing, but I wonder about moving everybody into "the athletic dorm" to keep control.

Several years ago, the NCAA eliminated athletic dorms with the intent of making the athletes' college experience more like that of regular students. At the time, coaches howled, rightly pointing out that they were being held responsible for their athletes' behavior, but denied a great tool for monitoring and influencing that behavior -- the athletic dorm.

I know...a really bad rule. But that's the NCAA's abject incapability to foresee bad consequences for a lot of their well-intended but pointy-headed rules.

Unless the NCAA has since changed the rule and I just missed it, I don't think there's any such thing as an athletic dorm any more.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I like what Strong is doing, but I wonder about moving everybody into "the athletic dorm" to keep control.

Several years ago, the NCAA eliminated athletic dorms with the intent of making the athletes' college experience more like that of regular students. At the time, coaches howled, rightly pointing out that they were being held responsible for their athletes' behavior, but denied a great tool for monitoring and influencing that behavior -- the athletic dorm.

I know...a really bad rule. But that's the NCAA's abject incapability to foresee bad consequences for a lot of their well-intended but pointy-headed rules.

Unless the NCAA has since changed the rule and I just missed it, I don't think there's any such thing as an athletic dorm any more.
The NCAA consists of a bunch of pointy-headed dummies who are clueless about real life and what is really best for student athletes...period!

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
I believe the current rule is athletes may not make up more than 50% of the residents in that housing building. When I lived on Campus the athletes were spread among all the dorms with "regular" students (Bryant was football and male engineering students, Lakeside was gymnastics and I believe tennis with students enrolled in the Honors College, etc.)

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013
I have a man crush on Coach Strong. I really think he will be a great coach for Texas, he was one of the few I wanted to be the next coach if all the rumors of Saban going to Texas were true.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Hmm, we have admitted second and third hand gossip out of Texas. Wonder if they're any more reliable than the invisible "sources" who had Saban in Austin (their names being Bull and Crap). Wonder if these new regulations are a "done deal." And finally, wasn't it nice of Coach Strong to come set the path clear so Saban can come to Austin on National Signing Day with his secret haul of recruits? Sources close to Austin tell us Strong is part of the window dressing, that Saban agreed to come if Texas hired Strong as DC. He figures Kirby gets the old job.

The preceding should mostly be in blue, but if you don't think there ARE fans who think this.....there are.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
If the article is accurate, Strong sounds like a coach I would like to have at my university. It reinforces to me that we was and will continue to do things the right way.

CSA4Ever

Scout Team
Jun 6, 2010
I make no predictions regarding Texas' new coach but am old enough to remember MANY coaches taking the tough guy approach to a new job only to stumble.

I hope this new guy is successful. Texas and Oklahoma have a symbiotic relationship which demands that both programs maintain strength. With the new playoff scenario, I suspect one of the primary factors the czars will consider is S.O.S.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I make no predictions regarding Texas' new coach but am old enough to remember MANY coaches taking the tough guy approach to a new job only to stumble.

I hope this new guy is successful. Texas and Oklahoma have a symbiotic relationship which demands that both programs maintain strength. With the new playoff scenario, I suspect one of the primary factors the czars will consider is S.O.S.

Going to take a strong mandate from his support system in austin to make the no tolerance policy work. Easy to imagine a lot of Texas upperclassmen not willing to buy in. Easy to imagine a few of the horn hierarchy not willing to ante up themselves?

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Can the University buy out off campus apartment leases without running afoul of NCAA rules?
As I understand it, the provision of housing is a legitimate part of an athlete's scholarship package. As long as the athletic is getting no benefit beyond their housing, it wouldn't really matter how the institution is paying for it, and if they are breaking leases, etc. Again, the athlete gets no extra benefit from it, so it wouldn't be a problem.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
He's got a tough job ahead of him to break up the "Good 'Ole Boy's" system that firmly in place in Austin..I'm pulling for him to get th job done..Cause I honestly like Coach Strong..He seems like a good dude..JMO

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Not sure Tx. is ready for Strong.
I love Strongs new rules.
Not too sure the big money 'Little Horns' will be on board with moving into dorms.
'Hook em Charlie'. ;)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.