News Article: NCAA poised to create separate division for SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12, Big 12

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Hold the reigns on this. Media folks are tweeting that Forde is exaggerating this.
It's quite possible that this becomes some sort of a half-measure. Those conferences want to have their own say (and not be outvoted by sheer numbers). That doesn't necessarily mean anything, one primary issue is stipends for instance. So, if given semi-autonomy, they might be willing to shackle themselves to a certain extent to the NCAA and the other schools.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
I've never been interested in semi-pro ball. If they do this and start paying players I will stop watching or keeping up with it at all.

I have lived and died with the Tide since I was 7 years old, but I will be done with it.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
I've never been interested in semi-pro ball. If they do this and start paying players I will stop watching or keeping up with it at all.

I have lived and died with the Tide since I was 7 years old, but I will be done with it.
I don't mean this to be cheeky or argumentative even though I'm sure it may read like that.

Would you mind expanding on why you feel so strongly that the players should not earn out of playing football?

My own view is that only a small percentage of these players will make it to the NFL and make serious money out of the sport. The game on the other hand generates huge sums of money for the schools, coaches, affiliations and even the TV networks, yet the young men who put their bodies on the line for the entertainment of others receive nothing. Let's not kid ourselves here, they risk serious injury and paralysis when they take to the field. Such injuries may be rare but the risk is ever present.

I simply don't buy the top notch education line, would Bama or any other upper echelon program retain a player who had a football scholarship and who was doing brilliantly academically but failing to live up to expectations on the field? I don't know, but I doubt it.

Football got them to college because football makes the colleges money, why should the guys who take the risk be the only ones to miss out?

The view that paying them would be some sort of final straw and drive you away from the game surprises me and I would appreciate hearing your reasons why?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Well, I guess you should have never been a Tide fans. Stipends have not always been prohibited by the NCAA. If you think a stipend ruins what it means to be a student, then you'd really have a bone to pick with students at virtually every university. As far as I'm aware, only the athletes are specifically prohibited from the stipends.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I don't mean this to be cheeky or argumentative even though I'm sure it may read like that.

Would you mind expanding on why you feel so strongly that the players should not earn out of playing football?

My own view is that only a small percentage of these players will make it to the NFL and make serious money out of the sport. The game on the other hand generates huge sums of money ...............

Football got them to college because football makes the colleges money, why should the guys who take the risk be the only ones to miss out?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Amen and Amen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

My own view is that only a small percentage of these players will make it to the NFL and make serious money out of the sport. The game on the other hand generates huge sums of money for the schools, coaches, affiliations and even the TV networks, yet the young men who put their bodies on the line for the entertainment of others receive nothing. Let's not kid ourselves here, they risk serious injury and paralysis when they take to the field. Such injuries may be rare but the risk is ever present.

I simply don't buy the top notch education line, would Bama or any other upper echelon program retain a player who had a football scholarship and who was doing brilliantly academically but failing to live up to expectations on the field? I don't know, but I doubt it.

The view that paying them would be some sort of final straw and drive you away from the game surprises me and I would appreciate hearing your reasons why?
They do earn financially!

They receive a SCHOLARSHIP ($100,000+ for 4 to 5 or sometimes 6 years) and some of them can barely read what you and I are writing. I wish I had had the ability to play football at their level so that I could have had an education paid for me instead of having to borrow, etc. and pay back later for my education.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR

They receive a SCHOLARSHIP ($100,000+ for 4 to 5 or sometimes 6 years) and some of them can barely read what you and I are writing. I wish I had had the ability to play football at their level so that I could have had an education paid for me instead of having to borrow, etc. and pay back later for my education.
If they can barely read, I doubt a college scholarship will really help them.

$100,000 (which is full retail price) is not much money in big sports. I knew a semi-pro baseball player, who made about 50k a year. So 4 years times $50k a year is more than a full ride to most universities.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013

I understand they get a scholarship, I understand that in itself has a significant monetary value, however what is the real value of that scholarship to a player who can't read and write, after college if he does not make to the pros? I have no idea of the stats but do a significant percentage of players who do not go pro go on to earn big bucks in later life because of their college qualifications or do more make a living from reliving the glories of their brief period of fame?

If you get to college via football (presumably high school first) but are illiterate, it indicates that you either commit to football over your education or you are just not that smart, I can't see 4, 5 or 6 years of college education fixing either of those, regardless of how high the equivalent value of the scholarship actually is.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

You sound really jealous. For starters, it's not all ability and you know it. Take Vinnie for example, he's not some kind of athletic freak. He's 6'0, 210 pounds, but he is a student of the game and he plays hard. These players earn their scholarships!

Furthermore, they earn the university millions of dollars. But this whole paying them thing? Who is talking about that? It's a stipend, you know that same thing that the University of Alabama already gives out? It just can't give them out to athletes because the NCAA specifically prohibits that? I don't get the overreach in making a big deal over something other students already get, and athletes in the past got, without anyone thinking anything of it.

I guess you just really get satisfaction from the idea that DJ Fluker might have had to get money from a runner to pay for furniture, huh? And don't give me that entitled crap, the guy and his family used to be homeless. The stipends would do what they do for other students, to help insure they are not in need. That's actually the point of the stipend, to insure that the student's needs are met without requiring outside sources of income, and in this instance, outside sources of income are heavily prohibited when it comes to student athletes.

Last edited:

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013

But this whole paying them thing? Who is talking about that? It's a stipend, you know that same thing that the University of Alabama already gives out? It just can't give them out to athletes because the NCAA specifically prohibits that? I don't get the overreach in making a big deal over something other students already get, and athletes in the past got, without anyone thinking anything of it.

The payment thing was my bad Krazy, I replied to a post before reading the article, though I must admit I still think my question is valid :D

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The payment thing was my bad Krazy, I replied to a post before reading the article, though I must admit I still think my question is valid :D
Well it's common to confuse the stipend with just outright paying players for performance or the like, but the stipend pre-existed NCAA restrictions, and it was only really prohibited to keep programs like Alabama from distancing themselves (the scholarship limits being the biggest step). I didn't read the article either, but it's something I've followed so I think I have a pretty good idea what the topics are, heh...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.