On Lane Kiffin

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
Greetings.

First of all, I am from Tennessee. Followed that program closely for about 15 years. My opinion is not popular up there, but I figured since you guys are his program of employment, you'd like to hear it.

Lane Kiffin was the best coach to take up residence in Knoxville in that time period. Saban has made a tremendous hire.

Kiffin's work ethic, intelligence, offensive acumen, and recruiting ability will greatly benefit the Tide. The QBs will likely benefit the most. Jonathan Crompton was simply a horrendous football player. Lane Kiffin turned him into an NFL draft choice. That should tell you all you need to know about his QB coaching skills.

As a head coach, Lane is ultimately responsible for what happened at USC, but I think he's a very good head coach.

In 2009, he did very well at Tennessee. Tennessee was not in a good place. Walk ons were littered across the two-deep. However, his team hammered Georgia and South Carolina. They almost beat number 1 Alabama in Tuscaloosa, as I'm sure you guys are aware. What he did in recruiting was also excellent. What Tennessee fans will tell you is he destroyed their program for the next few years. In actuality, he helped it. He was the man responsible, in whole or in part, for the recruitment of Tyler Bray, Ja'Wuan James, Justin Hunter, and Da'Rick Rogers, just to name a few. He had assembled an All-Star staff and was going to win a couple SEC titles.

However, he left for USC. This embittered most Vol fans and warped their grasp on reality. I'd leave for my dream job, as I'm sure most of you would. A giant misconception is that he inherited a USC program that was on solid footing. It wasn't. Pete Carroll, planned or not, got out of town right on time. There were a bunch of busts and recruiting misses (Frankie Telfort, Jarvis Jones, Alshon Jeffery, Vontaze Burfict, Manti Te'o). USC was trending downward. That is why they were in the Emerald Bowl against Boston College in 2009.

Lane's 8 victories in 2010 was pretty much consistent with USC's talent level. His 10 wins and a victory over Oregon on the road in 2011 was a glistening over-achievement. However, it ended up hurting Lane more than helping him, because it set unrealistic expectations on his 2012 squad. Under sanctions, Lane was unable to build the program back up from the ashes of mediocrity. 2012 was a bad year, and 2013 started off poorly, as well, because of the time it typically takes to break in a new QB. Pat Haden, in a cowardly act, fired Lane. Lane did not receive the opportunity to turn around the 2013 ship. Karma is a ....., though. Haden eventually hired Steve Sarkisian, who will be miserably mediocre in Los Angeles.

I don't think the media or college football fans, in general, understand how tough it was/is to play under sanctions. What Lane did under sanctions was quite impressive. His winning % under sanctions is better than Butch Jones' without sanctions, for instance.

In short, do not be disappointed if Lane Kiffin leaves after 2-3 years of success in Tuscaloosa. I wouldn't be shocked to see him be the next head coach at Alabama, if I were being honest.

I think the administration at Alabama is smart. Kiffin will shine, and they'll see that.
I kinda said the same thing in another thread.I'm with you, I think he had Tenn headed in a better direction,I think he left for his dream job. Which I think he did fairly well under the sanctions they had at the time, I also said this will make him part of the Alabama family now, and there will be a connection established, also if he does well you won't here all this stuff, I see another possible upside to this,he has already been fired from oakland, USC maybe he will start thinking before he speaks, as maybe he will get some maturity along the way.
As to him becoming our head coach you never know the connection will have been established, he is still a young coach, I like confidence in a coach just not to brash. Coach Saban and Bryant had that. I know some are wanting Coach Kirby to take over one day maybe it will happen but remember one thing he has never been a head coach,Dubose, Shula. Always leave your door open, My 93 yr old grandfather told me you never quit learning new things. THANKS FOR LISTENING TO MY THOUGHTS!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As odd as the notion of Kiffin being head coach at Alabama seems, I think in his head it has to at least be a possibility.

Imagine if he does have Alabama's offense averaging 45+ PPG and with his recruiting prowess Alabama does start averaging 4 star players (both a bit unrealistic, but he's done both before). Well, if he can keep his mouth shut, he'll start to seem like a pretty fantastic addition.

If he stays for a couple of years and long enough to win a championship at Alabama, he could leave for another HC gig and hypothetically be a candidate when Nick retires. Once again, that has to be primarily in his mind, but don't forget his age. He's Kirby Smart's age, a lot of people have him tabbed to replace Saban, but Kirby has 0 HC experience and Kiffin has been HC at 3 jobs. If he actually learns under Saban, it is possible he fixes what he's doing wrong, and learns some more about being a coach.

I don't see him as replacing Saban at Alabama, however I do see Alabama as his best shot at becoming a head coach at an elite level FBS program again. From there, who knows?

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I find it very, very amusing that so many Bama fans who used to enjoy ripping Kiffin and pointing out the FACT that he left grease fires every place he went suddenly think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am not the only poster on this board who used to wonder how he continued to land such great jobs. It is truly comical. I will no longer post anything negative about him because he is now officially on our staff. Barfffffff! Whew! Sorry, I had to excuse myself for a moment. I don't want to run afoul of this board's policy about saying negative things about coaches or players because I really enjoy the discussions here, so I will simply say that I hope you guys are right and that this embarrassing situation works out well. Roll Tide!
Well...what is our alternative? Spread hate and discontent? How did that work out for Kamara? If there is one thing, and just one thing, we need to focus on, that is relying on the judgement of one Coach Nick Saban...period! Otherwise, we are butting heads. that will not work my friend. Bottom line. ultimately, who will be held accountable for this addition to the staff? Do you think Coach Saban is going to foul his own nest? Relax, enjoy the ride, this is going to be very interesting. Roll Tide!

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I find it very, very amusing that so many Bama fans who used to enjoy ripping Kiffin and pointing out the FACT that he left grease fires every place he went suddenly think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am not the only poster on this board who used to wonder how he continued to land such great jobs. It is truly comical. I will no longer post anything negative about him because he is now officially on our staff. Barfffffff! Whew! Sorry, I had to excuse myself for a moment. I don't want to run afoul of this board's policy about saying negative things about coaches or players because I really enjoy the discussions here, so I will simply say that I hope you guys are right and that this embarrassing situation works out well. Roll Tide!
Are you sure the same ones that were ripping Kiffin are the same ones? To me, pretend barfing over one of our coaches is skirting the line on this boards policy. You most likely will be one of the ones that will owe Coach Kiffin an apology, as I'm sure I will. I've made a few remarks about CLK, but mostly because of the hilarious way he departed our most hated rival 10rc.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
A lot of this stems from kiffen being the Coach at our arch enemy,If Saban had left Miami for Auburn and saying I am not going to be the coach at Auburn, He would have been the lowest scum on here,Remember Tubby and ole miss pine box.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I don't know how many times it has to be said but I guess at least one more. Most everyone here isn't crazy about the hire, okay. We get it. It's not like you and a few others are the board geniuses who realize that it wasn't too long ago Lane Kiffin was the butt of a lot of jokes on here. We all know that. The difference is in how others have decided to deal with it. There's nothing anyone on this board can do about it so rather than sit in sackcloth and ash and complain about. Most are simply viewing Kiffin through an X's and O's lens only.

If this hire fails it's on Nick Saban not me. But I will support the hire until it shows to be a mistake. It's not like Nick Saban blindly went into this. He's already addressed Kiffin's past personal mistakes and pointed to the fact that he's not here to do the things that got him in hot water in the first place. He's here to be the OC which from many in the coaching circle. Kiffin has a lot of respect.

But if the hire works I can promise you even you will quickly forget about a lot of his past.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't know how many times it has to be said but I guess at least one more. Most everyone here isn't crazy about the hire, okay. We get it. It's not like you and a few others are the board geniuses who realize that it wasn't too long ago Lane Kiffin was the butt of a lot of jokes on here. We all know that. The difference is in how others have decided to deal with it. There's nothing anyone on this board can do about it so rather than sit in sackcloth and ash and complain about. Most are simply viewing Kiffin through an X's and O's lens only.

If this hire fails it's on Nick Saban not me. But I will support the hire until it shows to be a mistake. It's not like Nick Saban blindly went into this. He's already addressed Kiffin's past personal mistakes and pointed to the fact that he's not here to do the things that got him in hot water in the first place. He's here to be the OC which from man in the coaching circle. Kiffin has a lot of respect.

But if the hire works I can promise you even you will quickly forget about a lot of his past.
Thank you Buzzard. We all know and acknowledge we strongly disliked Kiffin (or hated) and there is going to be a lot of negative comments and posts about his hire from our fanbase and other fanbases. However, none of us making these comments come close to knowing the game of football like Coach Saban, so you people who want to post negative I can't possibly take your comments seriously. People can keep posting these "I can't believe we did this" or "it won't last more than a year" comments but if you think I'm listening to you instead of trusting the judgement of someone who many consider the best coach in the game you are wrong. I know this is a message board and opinions are welcomed but when you doubt someone who is the best at what they do you can not truly expect to be listened to.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Jesus Christ!!!! What is wrong with you people?!?!?!?! Can you not see the difference between being a head coach vs a coordinator??? I have sat back and read all these negative comment about coach Kiffin and I cannot take it anymore without expressing my 2 cents. I am extremely excited and happy he joined our staff. I think he is a "home run hire" for coach Saban.

Yes he was being bashed earlier by us fans for his stupid mistakes as a HEAD COACH. Well he is not the head coach at Alabama. If he was and got the full support from the fans, then that would be hypocritical. However he is coming in as a coordinator and QB coach where he has been very successful and I do not remember reading any negative comments from Bama fans when he was a coordinator at USC.

I just don't understand all the negative adjectives being thrown around here at Coach Kiffin, like "Barfffff" and other things I have seen. What has he done that is so bad and rotten???? He has not molested kids in the shower, hired his mistress, or slept with his secretary. All I have seen him do is run his mouth too much and show his immaturity. Big deal, we have all made mistakes at our jobs and hopefully learned from them. Under Saban, he will not be running his mouth and hopefully he will mature a little more.

Now for the good qualities I have seen. He did a great job at USC as an assistant with multiple promotions. Yes I know he had tons of talent, but he will have the same talent at Bama. He took a terrible qb at Tennessee (Crompton) and turned him into a decent player. He is an outstanding recruiter and word is works his tail off.

I have not been this excited about an offensive coordinator hire since Homer Smith was pushed on Coach Stallings in 1994. Kiifin is going to do a great job for us. He will help bring in more talent, develop our qbs, and call some great games. From his past experiences, you know he will utilize our talents at TE and RB which is what I think was missing this year. Just my humble opinion, but lets get behind this guy!!!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

If this hire fails it's on Nick Saban not me. But I will support the hire until it shows to be a mistake. It's not like Nick Saban blindly went into this. He's already addressed Kiffin's past personal mistakes and pointed to the fact that he's not here to do the things that got him in hot water in the first place. He's here to be the OC which from many in the coaching circle. Kiffin has a lot of respect.

Yes, I understand. I wasn't really speaking about the hire because, as you stated, that part is done. I just find human nature to be compelling at times. By the way, no, I'm not claiming to be some sort of genius, nor do I hope for something bad to happen so I can say I told you so. I was simply pointing out the humor in the situation and hoping with the rest of you that it works out well for my university. I don't think of Alabama as a football team. It is my university, and there are teams that represent my university for which I cheer madly. Roll Tide to all. Have a glorious Sunday.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I have not been this excited about an offensive coordinator hire since Homer Smith was pushed on Coach Stallings in 1994. Kiifin is going to do a great job for us. He will help bring in more talent, develop our qbs, and call some great games. From his past experiences, you know he will utilize our talents at TE and RB which is what I think was missing this year. Just my humble opinion, but lets get behind this guy!!!
I'm with you, Snake. Roll Tide! Let's win 16!

ua86

1st Team
Nov 20, 2009
North Alabama
I shall reserve judgement until about this time next year......

You would have to think that one of the underlying threads with this hire is something along the lines of "... come to Bama for a couple of years, do a good job as OC, recruit well, keep your mouth shut and don't say/do anything stupid, and you can rehabilitate your image and learn how to run a program as head coach."

Or not. I'm just guessing based on little to no real information. You know, like most of the media. But, it's the off-season and I'm bored, so baseless speculation is all we have.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I shall reserve judgement until about this time next year......

You would have to think that one of the underlying threads with this hire is something along the lines of "... come to Bama for a couple of years, do a good job as OC, recruit well, keep your mouth shut and don't say/do anything stupid, and you can rehabilitate your image and learn how to run a program as head coach."

Or not. I'm just guessing based on little to no real information. You know, like most of the media. But, it's the off-season and I'm bored, so baseless speculation is all we have.
It would be fine with me if that were in his contract word for word. :) That sounds good. Rolling on!

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Lane Kiffin will neither be the best thing that ever happened to Bama, nor the worst thing that ever happened to Bama. Bama, on the other hand, may just be the best thing that ever happened to Lane Kiffin. I doubt if it will be the worst.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.