On Lane Kiffin

Action Jackson

Suspended
Jan 12, 2014
Tennessee & New York City
Greetings.

First of all, I am from Tennessee. Followed that program closely for about 15 years. My opinion is not popular up there, but I figured since you guys are his program of employment, you'd like to hear it.

Lane Kiffin was the best coach to take up residence in Knoxville in that time period. Saban has made a tremendous hire.

Kiffin's work ethic, intelligence, offensive acumen, and recruiting ability will greatly benefit the Tide. The QBs will likely benefit the most. Jonathan Crompton was simply a horrendous football player. Lane Kiffin turned him into an NFL draft choice. That should tell you all you need to know about his QB coaching skills.

As a head coach, Lane is ultimately responsible for what happened at USC, but I think he's a very good head coach.

In 2009, he did very well at Tennessee. Tennessee was not in a good place. Walk ons were littered across the two-deep. However, his team hammered Georgia and South Carolina. They almost beat number 1 Alabama in Tuscaloosa, as I'm sure you guys are aware. What he did in recruiting was also excellent. What Tennessee fans will tell you is he destroyed their program for the next few years. In actuality, he helped it. He was the man responsible, in whole or in part, for the recruitment of Tyler Bray, Ja'Wuan James, Justin Hunter, and Da'Rick Rogers, just to name a few. He had assembled an All-Star staff and was going to win a couple SEC titles.

However, he left for USC. This embittered most Vol fans and warped their grasp on reality. I'd leave for my dream job, as I'm sure most of you would. A giant misconception is that he inherited a USC program that was on solid footing. It wasn't. Pete Carroll, planned or not, got out of town right on time. There were a bunch of busts and recruiting misses (Frankie Telfort, Jarvis Jones, Alshon Jeffery, Vontaze Burfict, Manti Te'o). USC was trending downward. That is why they were in the Emerald Bowl against Boston College in 2009.

Lane's 8 victories in 2010 was pretty much consistent with USC's talent level. His 10 wins and a victory over Oregon on the road in 2011 was a glistening over-achievement. However, it ended up hurting Lane more than helping him, because it set unrealistic expectations on his 2012 squad. Under sanctions, Lane was unable to build the program back up from the ashes of mediocrity. 2012 was a bad year, and 2013 started off poorly, as well, because of the time it typically takes to break in a new QB. Pat Haden, in a cowardly act, fired Lane. Lane did not receive the opportunity to turn around the 2013 ship. Karma is a ....., though. Haden eventually hired Steve Sarkisian, who will be miserably mediocre in Los Angeles.

I don't think the media or college football fans, in general, understand how tough it was/is to play under sanctions. What Lane did under sanctions was quite impressive. His winning % under sanctions is better than Butch Jones' without sanctions, for instance.

In short, do not be disappointed if Lane Kiffin leaves after 2-3 years of success in Tuscaloosa. I wouldn't be shocked to see him be the next head coach at Alabama, if I were being honest.

I think the administration at Alabama is smart. Kiffin will shine, and they'll see that.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Are you a relative? To be honest I was expecting to delete this thread, but I can't see a reason to. Interesting points, and I hope your right...but Bama's next HC? You lost all credibility there! What a first post. Read the FAQ/Help in the red toolbar above. We are well mode.rated, Welcome aboard

Action Jackson

Suspended
Jan 12, 2014
Tennessee & New York City
Are you a relative? To be honest I was expecting to delete this thread, but I can't see a reason to. Interesting points, and I hope your right...but Bama's next HC? You lost all credibility there! What a first post. Read the FAQ/Help in the red toolbar above. We are well mode.rated, Welcome aboard
Not a relative. Just a really big fan. I love Saban, as well. I think Lane will learn a lot from him.

Thank you for the welcome!

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
"This embittered most Vol fans and warped their grasp on reality." Could be your grasp on reality has been warped to suggest Kiffen as HC when Saban retires Don't hold your breath on that one. From all reports, Kiffen is an excellent offensive mind and I bow to Coach Saban's judgement on the hire. As Coach Saban reported, Kiffen won't be asked to do anything at Alabama that he screwed up elsewhere as HC

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Not a relative. Just a really big fan. I love Saban, as well. I think Lane will learn a lot from him.

Thank you for the welcome!
Welcome to TideFans! Yours is an interesting point of view. I'm not a fan of Kiffin as a personality but the man can coach quarterbacks.

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
You bring up some good points but don't get too carried away with him being a HC at Alabama. We are still several years away before we have to worry about that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Don't turn this thread into a pro/con on CLK. If you can't say anything good about an Alabama a coach, it can lead to something more serious than a deleted post.
Sorry kyallie, I did not intend for my post to be one of denigration. My main point is that I'm anxious to see what happens and then let the chips fall where they may. I am optimistic about the changes within the program and I fully trust CNS's judgement in this matter. I'm hoping that those who are cautious find that their angst was unnecessary.

Roll Tide, Roll...A'ight!

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I wouldn't be shocked to see him be the next head coach at Alabama, if I were being honest.
He may well become an excellent head coach, and he could eventually end up head coach at Alabama. Stranger things have happened. Given his past, however, nobody's going to give him the keys until he shows he can be successful as a head coach. He'll have to build a better resume to be considered.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
You make very good points about the state of USC football prior to Kiffin becoming the head coach, the state of UT football before and after Kiffin, and the impact that severe scholarship reductions have on a program (this we know first hand).

Living in EastTennessee and surrounded by Vol fans, I must say that you are spot on in your descriptions of how most feel about CLK. His leaving for USC after one year really messed with their minds to such a degree that rational thought is impossible for most of them. Very few will acknowledge that Fulmer's last years did more damage to the program than Kiffin's one year.

Welcome to TideFans.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
welcome to this board. i am also from here in mid tenn, and 20 years ago i became a bama fan. your evaluation of lane kiffin is basically, the way i feel about his coaching decisions, and problems as a head coach. i really am happy with his hire as the off coord. here in tenn, it was obvious tenn had gotten themselves a head coach that would turn the program around early. i remember his big wins over ga, usc, and close to beating bama. i said then this guy will restore tenn to a legitimate foe of bama once again. many of my tenn fans here also was very bitter over his leaving. they also think he will help bama as offensive guru. his recruiting is exceptional and will help us immensely. i also believe he will be with us for 2 or 3 years. saban is the right man to propel this guy back to a head coach position.

tidechamp15

Suspended
Jan 3, 2014
I agree! and I think this hire was a very good one,this man seems to know O's ,but!....under Sabans mentoring,I think he will become even better.I don't however see him becoming BAMAs next HC,Saban will choose that,when the time comes......but for right now,Saban has at least 4 more NATTYs to win before he retires

Last edited by a moderator:

LTBamaFan

1st Team
Jul 31, 2002
Elmore, Al.
I too think that under the right conditions, Kiffin could become an excellent HC. He will have a great opportunity to learn from Saban.
Maybe he will run some plays to get the ball to Derrick Henry. The guy is unbelievable running over people.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Welcome to the board Layla. Your husband out kicked his coverage with you IMO. :)

Thoughtful and well said. The only problem I've ever had with Lane Kiffin is about his personality. Since he's a coordinator here and CNS is the voice of the program, that won't be an issue. I look for good things to happen with our offense under him.

Last edited:

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
There are two distinct Kiffins and Bama fans get it for the most part. Forgetting all the character nonsense, cause he's one of us, it tells me we are going to hand the ball to our running backs to set up the pass. In good times and bad, run the ball. Rainy days and sunshine, run the ball. Through the heat and cold, through the wet and damp, run the ball. I'm actually very bullish on this "good Kiffin."

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Thanks for the synopsis on Kiffin. It is nice to hear from someone who had the opportunity to observe his abilities more closely than most.
I believe Kiffin's hire is not coincidental to having recruited Cornwell and Town. He may be the perfect mentor if the coaching staff see them contributing early due to necessity.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I find it very, very amusing that so many Bama fans who used to enjoy ripping Kiffin and pointing out the FACT that he left grease fires every place he went suddenly think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am not the only poster on this board who used to wonder how he continued to land such great jobs. It is truly comical. I will no longer post anything negative about him because he is now officially on our staff. Barfffffff! Whew! Sorry, I had to excuse myself for a moment. I don't want to run afoul of this board's policy about saying negative things about coaches or players because I really enjoy the discussions here, so I will simply say that I hope you guys are right and that this embarrassing situation works out well. Roll Tide!

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I find it very, very amusing that so many Bama fans who used to enjoy ripping Kiffin and pointing out the FACT that he left grease fires every place he went suddenly think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am not the only poster on this board who used to wonder how he continued to land such great jobs. It is truly comical. I will no longer post anything negative about him because he is now officially on our staff. Barfffffff! Whew! Sorry, I had to excuse myself for a moment. I don't want to run afoul of this board's policy about saying negative things about coaches or players because I really enjoy the discussions here, so I will simply say that I hope you guys are right and that this embarrassing situation works out well. Roll Tide!

That is why they call you the 'teamplayer.' We're all making lemonade.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.