Tide Sports Reporting Tony Brown Arrest

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I had an experience last week with a young officer treating one of my juvenile clients like a worthless piece of crap--which is debatable :) --his job description does not include things of that nature. I wanted to punch him in the face, but decided I would just report him to his supervisor. Kept ME out of the pokey!

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
It seems this event will turn out to be no where near as bad as it was first reported. Not saying the kid was 100% in the right, but it is starting to appear the officer wasn't either.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I admire the good police officers who do their job every single day, just like I admire the good teachers, doctors, lawn care workers etc.., but my personal experience is that too many police officers would rather throw their authority around rather than rectifying a situation.
A couple of months ago I was running wind sprints, of all things, in a small grassy field behind the gym I work out in everyday. There is a wooded area very close to where I was running.
I was recovering from a sprint when a police car pulled up. The cop got out and said, "I noticed you back here by the woods. What have you got going on back here".
I rolled my eyes and said, "Uh DUH, I'm running sprints".
He said, "Don't get an attitude with me". I laughed and said, "Officer, I'm dressed in gym clothes, running shoes, and I'm breathing hard. I work out at the gym and then I run sprints back here".
He asked, "Anybody in that gym who can verify your identity"?
I'm like "Everybody in that gym can verify my identity. Let's go in and ask them".
He said, "Excuse me sir but I'm giving the orders here".
I shook my head in disbelief at this Barney Fife wanna be, but I kept my head and said, "Officer, I'm just running sprints".
The idiot replied, "OK, well I'm gonna LET YOU GO, but I think you need to consider running somewhere else".
Now why exactly was he going to LET ME GO"? And why did I need to run somewhere else?
I was minding my own business, trying to get in shape, and this clown thinks I'm a suspicious character, and even when he knew I wasn't he had to be the big bad cop rather than just saying "Good day sir"..
Sorry, with witness accounts so detailed, I believe the witnesses. I don't trust most cops in situations like I just saw described.
Can't help it. They've done it to themselves.
sip
I've had unbelievably good interactions with law enforcement over the years and some unbelievably bad interactions.

One of my last interactions was a few years ago in a Publix. Apparently a bank in the shopping center had been robbed either just before or just after I arrived in the store. As I'm shopping an officer crept up behind me with gun drawn and demanded my identification. I won't get into the back and forth but I was wearing shorts with tucked-in polo shirt and boat shoes with no socks. Basically I looked like Thurston Howell III about to go sailing and this fool wants to check me out as a suspect.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Since I was one who was harsh on Tony Brown, if the witness reports are correct I take back my negative comments towards TB. I do hope the TPD does investigate the officers but, my experience with PD including family members who are officers is that they protect one another and will stick to their story regardless the evidence.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I've had unbelievably good interactions with law enforcement over the years and some unbelievably bad interactions.

One of my last interactions was a few years ago in a Publix. Apparently a bank in the shopping center had been robbed either just before or just after I arrived in the store. As I'm shopping an officer crept up behind me with gun drawn and demanded my identification. I won't get into the back and forth but I was wearing shorts with tucked-in polo shirt and boat shoes with no socks. Basically I looked like Thurston Howell III about to go sailing and this fool wants to check me out as a suspect.
Great story! You know, one of the ancillary benefits of dressing like a grown up is avoiding such situations, but it appears some cops just won't buy it.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
I admire the good police officers who do their job every single day, just like I admire the good teachers, doctors, lawn care workers etc.., but my personal experience is that too many police officers would rather throw their authority around rather than rectifying a situation.
A couple of months ago I was running wind sprints, of all things, in a small grassy field behind the gym I work out in everyday. There is a wooded area very close to where I was running.
I was recovering from a sprint when a police car pulled up. The cop got out and said, "I noticed you back here by the woods. What have you got going on back here".
He said, "Don't get an attitude with me". I laughed and said, "Officer, I'm dressed in gym clothes, running shoes, and I'm breathing hard. I work out at the gym and then I run sprints back here".
I'm like "Everybody in that gym can verify my identity. Let's go in and ask them".
I shook my head in disbelief at this Barney Fife wanna be, but I kept my head and said, "Officer, I'm just running sprints".
The idiot replied, "OK, well I'm gonna LET YOU GO, but I think you need to consider running somewhere else".
Now why exactly was he going to LET ME GO"? And why did I need to run somewhere else?
I was minding my own business, trying to get in shape, and this clown thinks I'm a suspicious character, and even when he knew I wasn't he had to be the big bad cop rather than just saying "Good day sir"..
Sorry, with witness accounts so detailed, I believe the witnesses. I don't trust most cops in situations like I just saw described.
sip
sip,
I have a friend who is a retired Marine Recon/LEO (SWAT) and if we could clone him a million times it would be worth it but for every one like him it seems there are a dozen with the little man syndrome. They seem to forget they work for us, not the other way around.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

The Thurston Howell III part made me LOL!

I would like to see police officer candidates have to pass some sort of psych evaluation before they can be issued a shield. Lots of this nonsense would be prevented.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
sip
At least he kept his gun holstered. I've been met with drawn guns multiple times from jogging in a subdivision. For whatever reason, it's always a shocker that my family can afford the mortgage in such a nice neighborhood. The joys of being 6'3 and of the darker shade.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I have held my opinion on this becasue I did not want to pass judgment to either side. But this is a prime example of this being two sides to every story that are like night and day.

James Teasdale

Suspended
Jan 5, 2014
From what I've read in the AL.com article, we're all lucky we didn't have another Trayvon Martin type shooting. I'm seriously curious as to why the Tuscaloosa PD is refusing to share the police report with the media. Having worked at different positions within the media, I find that exceedingly suspicious. There is supposed to be free public access to that material. Can't wait to see how this shakes out.
The AL.com article:
[url]http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/01/witnesses_say_police_the_aggre.html#incart_hbx#incart_best-of [/url]

James Teasdale

Suspended
Jan 5, 2014

I would like to see police officer candidates have to pass some sort of psych evaluation before they can be issued a shield. Lots of this nonsense would be prevented.
I'd like to see them go through training handcuffed to another candidate of the another race in order to gain a healthier respect for brothers of another color.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

GPD has been doing Psych's for a number of years.
First hand knowledge sez It doesn't keep out bad apples.
As a retired LEO let me say that the posted video don't jibe with the officers story.
Quite the opposite.
To me it sounds like an IA Investigation will be forthcoming. Video can be an officers best friend,
when he's in the right. It can be necessary evidence against an officer who is misusing his authority.
I do agree that I've seen too many little guys with the 'Little Big Man Syndrome'.
Thats what we called em.
There's no cure for the 'Barney Fyfes'(sp) of this world,
except separating them from jobs with authority over others.

In an age where everyone has a cellphone with video capabilities;
I wonder how an officer can be so stupid?
I can't condone the apparent actions of an officer caught being a jerk on film.

Example: Years ago I broke up several gatherings in parking lots, just by saying...
'Hey guys, take it inside, people have complained'. Most complied.
Was it the way I talked to them, or the fact I've always been a big guy,
and seldom had to prove myself? Don't know.

I do know that poor judgement was exercised that night by the officers, and the students.
The actions I saw on film make every officer look bad.
Thats a 'Black Eye' TPD doesn't need.

Last edited:

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
This probably needs to go in the NS section, but my son is a Marine, Force Recon/MARSOC Marine and he DOES NOT need to be a policeman. I don't think he would fare very well in a civilian situation. Lets just say he and his kind have not been trained to negotiate and a little pepper spray or a taser would be the least someone would need to worry about. Im proud of my Marine but I don't want to know what he has done while serving his country nor have I asked and I am prior Army myself. But we can have a nice little forum to debate this stuff because of people like him and also some of these LE officers we are running down. I don't think a true force recon Marine that's been to the sand box needs to be exposed to civilian LEO, it would not be good for public relations. Just my two cents. Maybe some P.O.G. Marine pencil pusher, but a force recon? that sounds like a law suit to me. I think Police these days need to be politicians more than real cops. My son would have been a great cop 25 or 30 years ago, but today.....No way. Hell, I wouldn't even answer a call if I were a cop, Id let it go and let some civilian handle it, why risk your job, health or life. But Im sure your Marine cop friend is very sharp and is as you say. I myself have had very few bad encounters with the police. I don't have a problem with them like several others on here. But I keep my nose clean and I don't tend to get an attitude or be a smart a$# when Im pulled over either. Id imagine policing is like any profession or job, some people are really good some are fair and some suck. Im sure Saban has a handle on this and will deal with it accordingly, but if the bond was only 1K then it wasn't a whole bunch he was charged with anyway.
sip,
I have a friend who is a retired Marine Recon/LEO (SWAT) and if we could clone him a million times it would be worth it but for every one like him it seems there are a dozen with the little man syndrome. They seem to forget they work for us, not the other way around.

Last edited:

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
Just curious, How do you know they dont? Don't Latinos, blacks and whites go through the same academy's? or are they segregated? I don't think its a training thing with some officers as much as a " is he a good person and should we have hired him" thing, I think we all get what we pay for and the last time I checked, most police depts. pay sucks. But hell if you think cuffing a couple of guys of different races together makes better police then go for it.
I'd like to see them go through training handcuffed to another candidate of the another race in order to gain a healthier respect for brothers of another color.

Last edited:

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
From what I've read in the AL.com article, we're all lucky we didn't have another Trayvon Martin type shooting. I'm seriously curious as to why the Tuscaloosa PD is refusing to share the police report with the media. Having worked at different positions within the media, I find that exceedingly suspicious. There is supposed to be free public access to that material. Can't wait to see how this shakes out.
The AL.com article:
[url]http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/01/witnesses_say_police_the_aggre.html#incart_hbx#incart_best-of [/url]
The TPD rushed to issue a press release that is now being refuted by many witnesses who appear to have video evidence to back up their version of what happened. Then they refused to share the official report, or give the officers' names. Makes you wonder if a cover up is underway.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I truly hope that's not the CP, cause if they made a mistake, just fess up to their mistakes, cause if it's proved they're wrong & are covering it up, all it does prove why so many folks have no faith or trust in our Law Enforcement..

We all make mistakes, it's human nature, and at the end of the day, LEO's are humans like the rest of us & should never be held above the Laws Of The Land....And LEO's should be held accountable for their mistakes like the rest of us..Just fess up to it Boys..
The TPD rushed to issue a press release that is now being refuted by many witnesses who appear to have video evidence to back up their version of what happened. Then they refused to share the official report, or give the officers' names. Makes you wonder if a cover up is underway.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.