Pete Carroll college vs pro.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not a Pete Carroll fan but I have to admit the guy has proven he can flat out coach. What he's built in Seattle is impressive. What he did at USC was impressive but he also had more talent than anyone else in the conference by far. The NFL has proven to be a different animal and Carroll has definitely answered the bell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm not a Pete Carroll fan but I have to admit the guy has proven he can flat out coach. What he's built in Seattle is impressive. What he did at USC was impressive but he also had more talent than anyone else in the conference by far. The NFL has proven to be a different animal and Carroll has definitely answered the bell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He still has more talent than most of the NFL at Seattle. I'm in no way saying that's the only reason he had been successful, its more of a testament to his scouting ability and coaching. Seattle almost always has a great draft class. That's how you win in the NFL: through the draft. All rounds not just the 1st and 2nd round. He is a great coach, no doubt.

RdunawayTX

3rd Team
Sep 24, 2011
I'm not a Pete Carroll fan at all. He skipped out on USC because he knew the sanctions were coming as much as he was headed to Seattle.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Carroll has definitely proven me wrong. I thought for sure this would be his 3rd failed attempt at the NFL, and he would be back in college. Instead he has caught lightening in a bottle in Seattle.

and that was one hell of a game today. Just Wow.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Can we even say Carroll got a fair shake in the NFL?

He got ONE season in the NFL, and he was 6-10. He inherited Bruce Coslet's mess, and at the time the Jets would do good in those years with "soft' schedules and not so good with tougher ones.

He took over New England in 1997. He went 10-6, won the East, and lost by one point on the road at Pittsburgh. The next year they got eliminated the last day of the season with a 9-7 record. The next year they were 8-8 and finished last.

Think about that - LAST with a .500 record.

He didn't do all that badly. No, he wasn't Parcells or Belichick, but his first time was not a fair shake and the second time he was a mid-level coach.

bamabound91

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 10, 2008
Huntsville, Ala
good point Boston, I don't think that PC had a bad start in the Nfl the 1st time around, just happened to be the one in the wrong place at the wrong time. He started at NYJ in 94, team was 6-5 going into the Miami gm and that was the Marino Fake Spike Gm. Jets didn't recover after that and Carroll was fired after that yr at 6-10. Then in 97 after the Parcells-Kraft fallout Carroll took over NE and Led them to a 10-6 record his 1st year and lost to Pitt in the Divisonal Gm. 98 PC led NE to a 9-7 record and another appearance in the playoffs where they lost to the Jags in the Wildcard. 99 was the most puzzling year as NE kept winning and losing almost every week(win one week and lose the next) and Fell to 8-8 and after the season was canned with a 33-31 record at that point. Both the Jets and NE had good teams it just seemed that week after week the players quit playing for Him at times. Don't forget PC and Sea made history in his 1st yr with making the playoffs with a losing record. Course it was the stability of Nfc west at the time.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm not a Pete Carroll fan at all. He skipped out on USC because he knew the sanctions were coming as much as he was headed to Seattle.
While it was a crappy thing to do, if I were in the same position, I'd done the same thing if I were offered a NFL job, as compared to saying & facing the NCAA sanctions..In all likelihood had he stayed, he was going to be fired anyways, he would have fired as a sacrificial lamb, in hopes to ease up some of the sanctions they were facing..I may be wrong..I honestly think he would be fired had he stayed at USC..JMHO

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Carroll didn't get much credit for the Pats job but he did leave some pieces on defense that ultimately Belichick took to Super Bowls.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
He's had a lot of guys in Seattle get suspended for failing drug tests (illegal and PED tests). Don't understand why that gets left out so often.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That game last night was proof that managed properly, a zone-read team with a good defense can play serious, big boy football.
I saw something a little different. IMO, the Seattle offense is not very good, but their strengths on defense and their home crowd allowed them to overcome those deficiencies.

I am not saying that the zone-read cannot work in the NFL - just that I don't think that it was the deciding factor in this game, just as it was not the deciding factor in the Alabama/Auburn game.

If you are saying that you can still win at this level in spite of this offense, I agree. Beyond that, I remain unconvinced.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I saw something a little different. IMO, the Seattle offense is not very good, but their strengths on defense and their home crowd allowed them to overcome those deficiencies.

I am not saying that the zone-read cannot work in the NFL - just that I don't think that it was the deciding factor in this game, just as it was not the deciding factor in the Alabama/Auburn game.

If you are saying that you can still win at this level in spite of this offense, I agree. Beyond that, I remain unconvinced.
Agreed. Wilson's biggest play was a 50+ yarder to the WR on a db who had his head in the backfield. Seattle's bread and butter is their running game. In the 1st half, the run game wasn't producing and they had 3 points to show for it. In the 2nd half, the running game gets going, the 12th man is doing its thing (which gets the D going) and they score 21 points.

I expect the Manning & Co to put up points against Seattle. Colin ain't Manning.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the biggest question is who would have won in 03 between saban's lsu tigers at their peak of dominance or Carroll's Trojans dynasty at their beginning I think that is the biggest unknown in national championship games that should've happened that didn't cuz I don't think the Nebraska/Michigan what if game really is a bigger question as that game

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.