Louisiana WR Malachi Dupre Signs with LSU

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
Seeing his name a good bit in regards to his visit with MH this past weekend.

Seems to be a heavy LSU lean but does anyone think we have a shot with him?

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Re: Malachi Dupre

If I remember correctly, he has spent the last few days in Tuscaloosa. I would think knowing that a high caliber QB like cornwell is coming in, he knows he'll have someone who can get him the ball. LSU has Brandon Harris, but you never know how the dual threat guys will throw the ball. There seems to be a natural tendency to run it if their first read isn't there. How much better would Reuben Randle have been in college with a hot Mettenberger as opposed to Jordan Jefferson. Plus, knowing that we will be losing a good class of receivers next year including probably Cooper leaving early.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al

Agree with the above post, while we are fairly run heavy, I definitely do not think of LSU as an offense that throws the ball around a ton.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Agree with the above post, while we are fairly run heavy, I definitely do not think of LSU as an offense that throws the ball around a ton.
They've thrown less than us for the most part. The thing going for them is that they have pretty much always had that stud WR on their team for the last 10+ years (back to Josh Reed/ Dwayne Bowe). Until Julio, we really never had that stud that also was successful in the NFL (DJ Hall was great for us, but did nothing on a professional level)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

They've thrown less than us for the most part. The thing going for them is that they have pretty much always had that stud WR on their team for the last 10+ years (back to Josh Reed/ Dwayne Bowe). Until Julio, we really never had that stud that also was successful in the NFL (DJ Hall was great for us, but did nothing on a professional level)
And what should get Dupre attention is the class of receivers we already have. What made Julio so good is we finally started building some depth at WR. If a defense chose to double JJ (and they did sometimes) then we had some other guys who were wide open and were legitimate threats (Arenas for examples).

I honestly don't know how our depth compares to LSU's. While our qb situation is pretty similar, if I'm a stud receiver I'd be looking at how good the other receivers are (like Cooper and company) and I'd be thinking that I'll have more opportunities with defenses focusing on them instead of me (at least my first year or two).

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

And what should get Dupre attention is the class of receivers we already have. What made Julio so good is we finally started building some depth at WR. If a defense chose to double JJ (and they did sometimes) then we had some other guys who were wide open and were legitimate threats (Arenas for examples).

I honestly don't know how our depth compares to LSU's. While our qb situation is pretty similar, if I'm a stud receiver I'd be looking at how good the other receivers are (like Cooper and company) and I'd be thinking that I'll have more opportunities with defenses focusing on them instead of me (at least my first year or two).
LSU (like us) always recruits well, but one point against us is that we really don't lose a ton at WR. Bell was sporadic in his production and while Norwood was better than he got credit for (he'll be a solid 3rd or 4th WR in the pro's for 10 years barring injury), he isn't in the same conversation with guys like Beckham and Landry who are likely 1st or 2nd rounders. We return our best WR (Cooper) and have several more with significant PT.

That said, I think after 2014, we'll have a big opening for several new/ young guys to step up as we lose White, Jones, and likely Cooper.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Anything is possible, but the odds are pretty heavily against us. Maybe we land the haymaker, but I figure our chances here are pretty similar to what they were with Fournette...

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

First of all, Javier Arenas was a DB, not a receiver.
Secondly, I think WR look at QB more than other receivers or even past history of the WRs at the school. If a WR has confidence that a QB can make throws, he knows he can catch it. WR know they will have to beat out competition from other WR. That will be anywhere. They can't control if they have a good QB.
Think how bad UF QBs were this year. They had some stud WR, but couldn't get the ball because the QB was tucking and running or making errant throws.
If Malachi thinks that coker is coming in, that could be a big influence. Cornwell and Town in the wings. The best WR want a pro style offense, not a zone-read run offense you see most often with dual threat QBs.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

The dream closing of recruiting for Bama would be getting Humphrey, Elam, Evans and Dupre.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Happy to see Dupree make it to Ttown but I'm thinking it may be a hard pull since it's pretty much a similar situation to LF. Would love to see him in Crimson but if we sign Humphrey, Elam, Evans and Surprise Recruit X ... I think this will hands-down be the best recruiting class to date. Amazing how recruiting turns ... here I was thinking we were going to have an uneventful few weeks until Signing Day and now here comes all of this excitement. :cool: :BigA:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Louisiana WR Malachi Dupre Updates

Continuing with the way they ended the 2013 recruiting season, Ole Miss has gotten Dupre interested enough to take a visit to Oxford.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.