Next 5 games...could get ugly!

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
If you take a look at the next 5 games the season could get even worse than it is now. Not only do we play 5 games in a span of 14 days...excluding the game @Auburn, the other 4 teams we play have a combined record of 51-18 and RPI's of 65 or better. Luckily 3 of the 5 are at home...which should help. But, one of the three is Florida...which creates monumental match-up problems for us. At best, can we go 3-2 over the 5 games? Not likely, I say at best maybe 2-3. But, it really could get ugly!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
We lost at the barn last year. With the Iron Bowl trophy presentation, they will likely have a packed house.

RKel32

All-SEC
Nov 17, 2004
Madison, AL
2-3 is the best case scenario that I see... funny not too long ago I got skewered for laughing at people who said we could go 12-4 in conference. We'll likely be 2-3 after tonight.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Another loss. If we lose to LSU at home, it could get really ugly.

I just looked at the remaining schedule.. Echsh. We play Missouri again and Florida again. We also have UTe, UK, Tex A&M and Ole Sis. I hope, but I don't realistically see us getting to 500. Who was it that said we'd go 12-4 in the conference.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I just looked at the remaining schedule.. Echsh. We play Missouri again and Florida again. We also have UTe, UK, Tex A&M and Ole Sis. I hope, but I don't realistically see us getting to 500. Who was it that said we'd go 12-4 in the conference.
We have a fairly brutal SEC schedule to go with our strong OOC schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile

I don't know, but I'm not sure I would trust those people since they don't know how many conference games we play. :biggrin:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't think SOS really matters if you don't win any of those games. It's a nice SOS though.
It does matter. You look at Bama's record and look at Mississippi State's record. Which team should be better? If the cliche holds true and "you are what your record says," State is much better than Alabama. Then, the two played, and Bama whipped them. You go look at State's SOS and see ESPN ranks it #14 in the SEC (aka last).

Only one of Alabama's losses was by more than 10 points. Bama hasn't gotten blown out except for the game last Saturday against Mizzou. That shows where a play here or there or a call can make a game go one way for a team.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It does matter. You look at Bama's record and look at Mississippi State's record. Which team should be better? If the cliche holds true and "you are what your record says," State is much better than Alabama. Then, the two played, and Bama whipped them. You go look at State's SOS and see ESPN ranks it #14 in the SEC (aka last).

Only one of Alabama's losses was by more than 10 points. Bama hasn't gotten blown out except for the game last Saturday against Mizzou. That shows where a play here or there or a call can make a game go one way for a team.
I was referring to making it into the NCAA tourney. Our goal shouldn't be to be better than Mississippi State.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was referring to making it into the NCAA tourney.
Didn't realize that.

Our goal shouldn't be to be better than Mississippi State.
I'm not saying our goal is to be better than State. I was just using them as an example. They are 13-5. Would fans complain if we were 13-5 with the worst SOS in the SEC? Nope. But since Alabama has the toughest in the conference and an 8-10 record, folks want Grant gone and find every single thing possible to critique.

Alabama has been in State's shoes with Grant as head coach - good record but bad SOS and/or RPI. That leads to the NIT, not the NCAA tournament.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Didn't realize that.

I'm not saying our goal is to be better than State. I was just using them as an example. They are 13-5. Would fans complain if we were 13-5 with the worst SOS in the SEC? Nope. But since Alabama has the toughest in the conference and an 8-10 record, folks want Grant gone and find every single thing possible to critique.

Alabama has been in State's shoes with Grant as head coach - good record but bad SOS and/or RPI. That leads to the NIT, not the NCAA tournament.
That was my original point though, what does it matter if you schedule tougher games but lose them all? Yea we can say that we played a harder schedule, but we still are not gonna make the tournament for the 4th time in 5 years. That is the reason most people I have talked to want CAG gone. And the fact that we haven't seen much player or team development in 5 years. At some point, at possibly five years in, our record can't continually be blamed on officials and injuries. I realize he will probably get another year because I think I read somewhere that we would owe him around 6-7 million if we fired him and that Alabama was not willing to pay him that buyout.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

We are going to have to win all our home games and two road games to finish .500.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
That was my original point though, what does it matter if you schedule tougher games but lose them all? Yea we can say that we played a harder schedule, but we still are not gonna make the tournament for the 4th time in 5 years. That is the reason most people I have talked to want CAG gone. And the fact that we haven't seen much player or team development in 5 years. At some point, at possibly five years in, our record can't continually be blamed on officials and injuries. I realize he will probably get another year because I think I read somewhere that we would owe him around 6-7 million if we fired him and that Alabama was not willing to pay him that buyout.
Great points Crimson

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
It was me, and i don't mind eating crow on that one, but in my defense, they have had a legit chance to win almost all of the games they lost, their lack of making one big shot has been horrible. That is the easy part of basketball (fun part anyways).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.