A video of every Jacob Coker throw in 2013

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly BB..Folks are actually carrying on a civil conversation about the situation, nobody's "fretting" over Del Rio, lots of folks thought he stood a great chance of becoming the starter, and wish he had stayed to battle it out with the rest of the QB's in the spring & fall..If Coker does transfer here, he will definitely add a dimension of a dual threat QB, that possesses a really strong arm, and if he develops a touch on his passes, he has the tools to sneak in and win the starting job..And watching his video there's no doubting his possess a rocket of an arm, and if our coaches can harness that arm, the sky is the limit for Coker..JMO

I think it's good message board conversation for the offseason. I fully believe that most commenting in these threads realize their opinion has ZERO impact on the coaching staff. But it is something to grind our teeth on in the offseason doldrums.

I enjoyed watching Coker's video. I wasn't overly shocked by what I saw or didn't see. I can see exactly why our staff would be interested in him. However, I also can see (as I'm sure the staff can as well) improvements he needs to make as well. After watching the video I believe every QB on our team starts at square one with the evaluation process. No one is ahead of any other player. There's no doubt Blake Sims has things he needs to improve on as well as Coker. Along with the rest of the guys who are competing for the position.

You're more than welcome to "sit back" and take a "wait and see" attitude. I guess that means you will not make another post in any of the qb threads until one is announced before our first game. :) I wouldn't take this type stance on too many topics or you won't be able to post about anything. :wink:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
No doubt he will have more zing on those WR screens than any starter we have had in the Saban era. From what I have seen of Alec Morris in pre-games he has a big arm as well.

chalkpit

Suspended
May 31, 2012
I can see why CNS likes this guy, but his chances of playing at Bama are slim. Coker is like the 6'5 pitcher that can throw 98 mph, but has no off speed stuff and can't find the strike zone. You draft him because you hope he will get better at what he can't do. Coker has slow and lazy footwork, which is the reason he makes so many bad throws and off timing throws. Can the guy even pass under center? Everything in the clip was in the shotgun, with only a one receiver option for the pass. Half the drop backs were 7-10 yards past his shot gun location. He just kept going back and back and back. My money is with the true freshman when all is said and done in the fall.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Am I reading the majority of these posts right? Alabama's starting QB will be a true freshman recovering from a torn ACL over a senior, redshirt sophomore, or a redshirt junior with real game time experience in the ACC?

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Does anyone else see the same throwing mechanics as Alec Morris? Not saying its bad just looks almost identical.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
In a year or two when we look back at this thread, some people are going to be right, some are going to be wrong, and some are probably going to end up looking silly. ;)
Why wait to be silly? Never stopped me..............

We're gonna lose................we're gonna lose.................we're gonna lose...............how we ever gonna beat API again?

Wonder if Sip is reading this? Hope he has calmed down.

James Teasdale

Suspended
Jan 5, 2014
From the video

Pros:
-Tough
-Mobile
-Strong arm

Cons:
-Accuracy
-Decision Making
-Mechanics

*Blake Sims has a better than good chance of starting.
I have to disagree on several points. Like AJ his accuracy suffers when he's flushed out of the pocket. And Blake Sims does not have the capability of starting for Bama's offense. He just doesn't have the tools....

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I think it's good message board conversation for the offseason. I fully believe that most commenting in these threads realize their opinion has ZERO impact on the coaching staff. But it is something to grind our teeth on in the offseason doldrums.

I enjoyed watching Coker's video. I wasn't overly shocked by what I saw or didn't see. I can see exactly why our staff would be interested in him. However, I also can see (as I'm sure the staff can as well) improvements he needs to make as well. After watching the video I believe every QB on our team starts at square one with the evaluation process. No one is ahead of any other player. There's no doubt Blake Sims has things he needs to improve on as well as Coker. Along with the rest of the guys who are competing for the position.

You're more than welcome to "sit back" and take a "wait and see" attitude. I guess that means you will not make another post in any of the qb threads until one is announced before our first game. :) I wouldn't take this type stance on too many topics or you won't be able to post about anything. :wink:
Well, that's not exactly what I said. I'm just not gonna make bold proclaimations and predictions since we are gonna to be running a somewhat different offense with a brand new OC. I feel we as fans have less of a pulse on what is going to happen than we've had in quite a while. As CNS said, we are starting over here, and I'm not going to be one of the folks on those old AJ vs Phillip Sims threads that were so sure that Sims was going to be way better than AJ or one of those that were convinced Derrick Henry would be a LB.

Feel free to do it if you like, though! ;) :BigA:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have to disagree on several points. Like AJ his accuracy suffers when he's flushed out of the pocket. And Blake Sims does not have the capability of starting for Bama's offense. He just doesn't have the tools....
How much of the video did you watch? He was missing targets standing upright in the pocket. After watching the video I can tell you Blake Sims has a shot. Both have some development that's needed in their game so it will all depend on which ones makes the most progress. But make no mistake, Coker's no automatic for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Well, that's not exactly what I said. I'm just not gonna make bold proclaimations and predictions since we are gonna to be running a somewhat different offense with a brand new OC. I feel we as fans have less of a pulse on what is going to happen than we've had in quite a while. As CNS said, we are starting over here, and I'm not going to be one of the folks on those old AJ vs Phillip Sims threads that were so sure that Sims was going to be way better than AJ or one of those that were convinced Derrick Henry would be a LB.

Feel free to do it if you like, though! ;) :BigA:
And you completely miss the point of fan message boards. No one's going to get graded on their predictions when it's all said and done...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Random, rumbling thoughts...

...I don't understand why people post on a message board and then complain about reasonable discussions (especially during the offseason).

...To have an opinion of favoring one player doesn't mean you are "hating" on another.

...Blake Sims has a great opportunity to earn the position this spring, summer and fall!

...If CNS was fully comfortable with Blake Sims or any other roster player it's doubtful he would be "recruiting" a possible 1-2 year stop-gap in Coker.

...Coker's got potential and there is reason to be excited (and concerned) but nobody's given him the job yet.

...Coker will have a great opportunity to earn the job this summer and fall (assuming he transfers).

...Cornwell, Bateman, Morris etc. will have the same opportunity too!!!

...ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
...If CNS was fully comfortable with Blake Sims or any other roster player it's doubtful he would be "recruiting" a possible 1-2 year stop-gap in Coker.

...ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

This is what I am thinking. But then people see a video where the majority of the clips are from almost a year ago during their spring game. And they want to hit the panic button. If I remember correctly, our QB's never looked like world beaters in the spring games.

I don't see Saban passing on Blake..if he thinks he will be the best for the job. Look at 2011, he gave a chance to AJ and Phillip Sims. Saban is very fair.

So, we know the 2014 starter will be the best QB for our system.

BHamita15

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 18, 2008
Eh, a video of mop-up time with a bunch short routes. He's clearly playing with backups...and on a playbook that has been reduced. I see no reason why anyone should doubt the fact that FSU coaches have gushed about him and have stated from the very beginning that the competition between Coker/Winston was REAL and LEGIT. Add to that is the fact that it is clear that Nick Saban wants him on this team. I see a guy with great size, good speed, a legit arm...and who needs some polish. You know what is great? He'll likely have a really good offensive line, multiple freak weapons to throw to, a devastating running back group and a revamped defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.