A video of every Jacob Coker throw in 2013

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think the big issue is that we've had a ton of threads about who our 2014 quarterback will be already and they've been going on since 2012 probably. Then everyone went crazy over a guy who was here one year and never took a snap and even crazier over someone who might transfer here.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
After watching the video, I still don't understand the obsession some folks have with Coker.

He doesn't appear to be head and shoulders above anyone on our current roster that I've seen.
I'm sure under Lane Kiffin's tutelage he can develop just like Jonathan Crompton did. Also he would have an excellent supporting cast around him as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Eh, a video of mop-up time with a bunch short routes. He's clearly playing with backups...and on a playbook that has been reduced. I see no reason why anyone should doubt the fact that FSU coaches have gushed about him and have stated from the very beginning that the competition between Coker/Winston was REAL and LEGIT. Add to that is the fact that it is clear that Nick Saban wants him on this team. I see a guy with great size, good speed, a legit arm...and who needs some polish. You know what is great? He'll likely have a really good offensive line, multiple freak weapons to throw to, a devastating running back group and a revamped defense.
This to. If CNS wants him then he has to be great. Otherwise he wouldn't waste his time with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Maybe Cotis Nunley will return. Bill Curry was high on him.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I've watched it again...so here are some better breakdowns:

His footwork and pocket presence are exactly what you want from a quarterback. Reminds me a lot of Ben Roethlisberger in the way he navigates the pocket and uses his stature to breakthrough arm tackles. That said, his mechanics on routes that go over the middle of the field leave a lot to be desired. This manifests in the number of passes thrown behind crossers or slant routes. His ability to throw deep out cutting routes is impressive though. He had a few of those throws that looked bad but I think his receiver didn't play the back shoulder throw like he anticipated. He does love that back shoulder comeback almost to a fault.

As a passer, he bodes well for most of our favorites for downfield explosive passes. He's got the arm to push it to the sideline off corner routes and comebacks. Not much sample size but I assume is ability to throw a post pattern over the middle of the field is similarly adept. I'm concerned with his ability to execute some of our possession passing concepts like crossing routes and slants. That is probably his weakest area as a passer.

He's more of a runner than people give him credit. He's not Tebow, Newton, Manziel, or Marshall quality but he is good enough that I think you have to put a few QB runs in the gameplan to keep in your back pocket for the right moment. FSU ran a shotgun counter trey for him at one point, several zone reads where he had the green light to keep it, and one or two QB draws. You don't call stuff like that unless you see him as some measure of a quality QB runner. He's an above average athlete for the position but not quite elite. Certainly, I'm not saying he'd get even 5 designed carries per game but he's more of a threat to keep it than any recent QB because he's got the size to take some hits and probably just fast enough to make it a worthwhile call. I could see us giving him a read keep green light a few times a game and maybe even had a designed run if they see something in the defense. Definitely something to keep the defense honest or give them one more issue to deal with against the run.

All and all, I can see why some like him but he's not a slam dunk. Blake Sims probably has some advantages over him through experience with our players but the new coordinator will likely even that out a bit for all starting QB competitors. He's clearly a better deep ball passer than Sims with each having about the same amount of opportunity last year to demonstrate their ability. Sims is more a running threat because he's faster but Coker has a bit more of a build to take SEC defense hits. It's a real push.

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL
After watching the video at the first of this thread, I'm really surprised at the number of balls that were batted down for a QB who is 6' 5". Should be an interesting competition.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yes, I forgot to mention that...seemed like most of the batted passes were his short passes. Of course, it is hard to know if that wasn't an OL issue too

BamasTide

1st Team
Mar 30, 2009
Decatur, AL
I'd would have rather seen him take snaps from under center. He needs to be coached up on looking off safeties. After the injuries will he be as mobile next season? The guy is a question mark, but good live arm. I think he could definitely flourish in our system with play action to buy him more time. I guess we might still do that sometimes! We will just have to wait and see what Kiffin will install at Bama. Should be interesting.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To me, if we intend to use up-tempo then shotgun is a more ideal formation in those situations. You give the QB more of an opportunity to survey things.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Finally watched his videos and I am not sure why Alabama fans are so excited about Coker. He made more mistakes in his minimal play in 2013 than AJ made in his 3 year career as a starter for Alabama. He consistently threw into tight and double coverage, he stared down receivers, he failed to go through his progressions. This guy looks like a project to me. I would put Sims way ahead of this guy right now.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Finally watched his videos and I am not sure why Alabama fans are so excited about Coker. He made more mistakes in his minimal play in 2013 than AJ made in his 3 year career as a starter for Alabama. He consistently threw into tight and double coverage, he stared down receivers, he failed to go through his progressions. This guy looks like a project to me. I would put Sims way ahead of this guy right now.
The QB battle will be fun to watch this spring and offseason. Sims is by no means out of this.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't think in the videos he is ever playing with the 1's. That makes a big difference. Bama doesn't need a superstar at QB. Just someone who can hit open receivers and not make mistakes. Can JC do that? Who knows. I would not cosign on your assessment that he is a project based on watching videos of him playing with 2's and 3's. If we are willing to bring a "project" QB in to start immediately what does that say about the players we have at that position? JMO

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
I agree 100%. I was not impressed. He may end up doing well, but it will take a ton of effort.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.