A video of every Jacob Coker throw in 2013

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
A youtube video of every throw Jacob Coker made in 2013 including the FSU Spring Game. Some nice throws, some bad throws, but I was especially impressed with the throw at around the 3:30 mark. Eluded pressure then threw a rope off his back foot to a WR on the sidelines.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Before I watched the video, I saw a few tweets from folks who already watched it. Aaron Suttles mentioned he needs more touch on the intermediate passes, and he was right. That's fixable.

He was under plenty of pressure in the regular season because he was with the second string OL. Our OL had issues in 2013, but they weren't that bad.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
doesn't exactly give you the warm fuzzies, does it?
Not particularly, but then again it's not really a source for concern, either. He generally did some good things and showcased the physical abilities necessary, and most of the work you see on that film (nearly all, in fact) comes while he was playing with second and third-team players for FSU.

I think the biggest thing on Coker at this juncture is just to say he has all of the physical tools we desire in a quarterback, and he comes to Tuscaloosa after three years of experience at a top college program under his belt. It seems pretty obvious to me -- for a lot of reasons, and not just this video -- that the people talking incessantly about him being an instant superstar and having a Cam Newton-type flurry of success are putting the cart about two country miles in front of the horse, but again he has the physical tools we need and Saban and company wouldn't have pursued him this hard had they just thought he would be someone who would come in and compete with Blake Sims.

Again, I'm not expecting a superstar, but frankly I think he probably comes in this summer and fairly quickly showcases himself to be the best option we have at the quarterback position. I'm not ruling out Sims by any stretch -- and we may need him if Coker gets injured again, which is no small concern given his torn meniscus last season -- but I think it's pretty clear that he will have to make a good deal of progress as a passer and have a strong spring to have a good chance at beating out Coker come late August.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
It seems pretty obvious to me -- for a lot of reasons, and not just this video -- that the people talking incessantly about him being an instant superstar and having a Cam Newton-type flurry of success are putting the cart about two country miles in front of the horse,
This is why I said what I did. This is not Newton or even Russell Wilson situation, at all. He needs polish like all of our current QBs.

That said, I need more of the throws like the one at around the 4:10 mark. Good footwork, great throw. Granted it was against Bethune.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Few things I'll point out:

(1) Randy Sanders wasn't kidding about the arm strength and the tight spiral. Everything coming out of this kid's hand was just an absolute bullet, which really was his biggest problem on some of the shorter throws. He's got a better arm than McCarron, at least.

(2) Like how he holds the ball high and tight to the chest. That bodes well for ball security in the pocket, and it's a big part of why he has a pretty quick release.

(3) Decent athlete, and probably good enough to have some successful scrambles from time-to-time, but he's not really beating anyone in the SEC consistently with his legs. We might keep the zone read in the 'book with him just so it can make a transition to Sims easier if it becomes necessary, but it will be lightly used, if at all, with Coker under center.

(4) Needs a bit more touch on the shorter throws into the interior of the field. Too many bullets on crossing routes that can quickly become easy INTs for trailing linebackers and safeties once a ball skids off of someone's hands.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
His throwing motion on short to the marker passes is not inspiring. They look like bad throws from the moment he winds up to throw. He's got some athletic ability but I don't see him being a huge running game factor. We could use that a bit to burn an over aggressive defense though.

I don't see anything that tells me he's a slam dunk starter candidate. He may still be better than what's available to us though. I'd probably favor Blake Sims from what I've seen of each this far.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This is why I said what I did. This is not Newton or even Russell Wilson situation, at all. He needs polish like all of our current QBs.

That said, I need more of the throws like the one at around the 4:10 mark. Good footwork, great throw. Granted it was against Bethune.
One thing that doesn't add up to me is that according to some reports we've seen the FSU coaches didn't know who would start all the way up until the last minute. However, aside from a throw here and a throw there he didn't look anywhere as good as Winston. I'm not knocking the kid. I'm just finding it a bit odd at how much praise is coming out of the FSU's camp from his coaches and even Winston himself about how "good" he was.

I agree, no doubt he's got the physical tools. He's a big kid, big arm and mobile. But at the same time you don't have to be an NFL quarterback coach guru to watch that film and quickly recognize this isn't a case of us getting a Cam Newton/Russell Wilson type impact player. He definitely needs some development in important areas.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
After watching the video, I still don't understand the obsession some folks have with Coker.

He doesn't appear to be head and shoulders above anyone on our current roster that I've seen.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
doesn't exactly give you the warm fuzzies, does it?
This is what I thought. He showed his inexperience there. I'm confident that several of the QBs we have on scholly could make many of those throws. He is more mobile than AJ but no where near as accurate and careful with the football. The raw talent is there but he will need some development. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of AJ in 2010 (mop up duty) and early 2011. It was the Penn St. game where it really began to click for AJ. Coker can play but he's not a definite day one starter. It will be a good battle to watch this fall.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
One thing that doesn't add up to me is that according to some reports we've seen the FSU coaches didn't know who would start all the way up until the last minute. However, aside from a throw here and a throw there he didn't look anywhere as good as Winston. I'm not knocking the kid. I'm just finding it a bit odd at how much praise is coming out of the FSU's camp from his coaches and even Winston himself about how "good" he was.
Probably comes from Winston having the #1 OL while Coker had the #2 OL and #2 and #3 skill guys.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Definitely not a Cam Newton situation, just because Coker isn't that 250-pound physical specimen with great athleticism and open field agility, but I could see some legitimacy to a Russell Wilson comparison.

A lot of people have a bit of revisionist history in their mind when looking back on the NC State-to-Wisconsin transfer, but the truth of that matter is that in his junior year at NC State, Wilson completed only 58% of his passes, threw 14 interceptions, and was middle of the pack in the ACC in both yards per attempt and passer efficiency rating. He did some good things, obviously, but he was by no means a bona fide star player at that point, and it was only after he transferred that his production exploded (72% completion percentage, 10.3 yards per attempt, 33 touchdowns against 4 interceptions, etc.).

I think the same largely holds for Coker. Certainly he needs more reps and game experience as a starter, and I don't see any reason whatsoever to assume that he would be a true star right out of the gate, but is there a reasonable basis to believe, based on the game film above, that he will likely become the starter for Alabama next season and that he could give us production comparable to what we got out of McElroy in 2010 and McCarron in 2011? I think the answer is absolutely yes on both.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.