Putting a Bow on this class

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
As I've stated in paraphrase before, I always regarded Elam in the same boat as guys like Roc Thomas and Leonard Fournette, i.e. fine additions that I would like to have, but not real needs or major losses should they go elsewhere.

Coming into this class, I felt our needs were as follows, in no particular order:

(1) A top quarterback (because you need one of those in just about every class)
(2) To revamp the OL by signing a large OL class, with possibly JUCO help at OT
(3) Upgrade pass defense by finding cornerbacks and edge rushers

Obviously we've got a long way to go and things are just getting started, but in terms of targeting needs we have largely hit home runs on all three fronts at least in the initial recruiting phase. No guarantees that any of it pans out, but on the front end all you can hope is that you get the guys you want and the guys that you get address the most glaring needs that you have, and we've certainly succeeded in that respect.
Nice post and agree 100%. I think this success in recruiting diminishes the distaste of how the season ended. This, changes in the coaching staff and a collective push on the "reset" button builds momentum going into the Spring. I think come August this well-oiled machine will be firing on all cylinders.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I think come August this well-oiled machine will be firing on all cylinders.
I wouldn't go that far, and 2014 may be a relative struggle compared to some past years unless a lot things come together quickly (Coker stays healthy and plays well, OL play improves despite losing Steen and Cyrus, pass rush comes together, CB play improves, etc.), but this class should position us very well to make runs in 2015 and 2016.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I wouldn't go that far, and 2014 may be a relative struggle compared to some past years unless a lot things come together quickly (Coker stays healthy and plays well, OL play improves despite losing Steen and Cyrus, pass rush comes together, CB play improves, etc.), but this class should position us very well to make runs in 2015 and 2016.
I guess my point is more on the mental side of the equation. We shored up the D bigtime with this class. We will field arguably the most talent laden team in all of college football. With a new attitude and a chip on our shoulder to boot I like our chances on the field against anyone in the country.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I agree. I don't see us winning a title next year, but the year after we definitely should be the favorite. Of course I didn't think we would win it this past year, to be as close as we were was just icing on the cake for me until the end. I never truly thought we were the "best" team. We will possibly have more total talent than we've ever had once everyone reports but to start 2014 we are going to be a very young team and will take us awhile before we become elite like we are accustomed to.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I agree. I don't see us winning a title next year, but the year after we definitely should be the favorite. Of course I didn't think we would win it this past year, to be as close as we were was just icing on the cake for me until the end. I never truly thought we were the "best" team. We will possibly have more total talent than we've ever had once everyone reports but to start 2014 we are going to be a very young team and will take us awhile before we become elite like we are accustomed to.
Idk. As long as the QB situation works itself out okay then we should be fine. Maybe not 15-0 but an NC isn't completely out of the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
As I've stated in paraphrase before, I always regarded Elam in the same boat as guys like Roc Thomas and Leonard Fournette, i.e. fine additions that I would like to have, but not real needs or major losses should they go elsewhere.

Coming into this class, I felt our needs were as follows, in no particular order:

(1) A top quarterback (because you need one of those in just about every class)
(2) To revamp the OL by signing a large OL class, with possibly JUCO help at OT
(3) Upgrade pass defense by finding cornerbacks and edge rushers

Obviously we've got a long way to go and things are just getting started, but in terms of targeting needs we have largely hit home runs on all three fronts at least in the initial recruiting phase. No guarantees that any of it pans out, but on the front end all you can hope is that you get the guys you want and the guys that you get address the most glaring needs that you have, and we've certainly succeeded in that respect.
I'd add to your #3 that it would have been good to add one more S to the mix. We lost two this year and we'll probably lose 3 next year (Perry and Williams will graduate and Collins might leave early). We run several packages with 4 S on the field, so we'll be really thin if we keep that game plan.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I don't expect us to win the title next year. But with the new 4 team playoff going into effect I don't see us out of the hunt anytime in the near future.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd add to your #3 that it would have been good to add one more S to the mix. We lost two this year and we'll probably lose 3 next year (Perry and Williams will graduate and Collins might leave early). We run several packages with 4 S on the field, so we'll be really thin if we keep that game plan.
Bama only ran plays with 4 safeties this year because the CB struggles. If the CBs play well, Bama only needs 2 or 3 safeties.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I don't know if we will win the title next year, but we will match any team in talent.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Bama only ran plays with 4 safeties this year because the CB struggles. If the CBs play well, Bama only needs 2 or 3 safeties.
we ran the same package a lot in 2012, and we had a first rounder at CB then. We use it a lot against the spread teams or at medium down/distance where the opponent is more likely pass, but the run is still an option. one or two of the S walks up like an LB but is a bit better in coverage than most of our LBs would be if needed.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Saban after the 2009 Texas game: "This isn't the end; this is the beginning." Days like today put an exclamation point on that statement.

It DOES feel strange that there isn't a "running back" in this group. Sure, there is Henry, Tenpenny, and Jones from last year and Scarborough may end up there. Still seems odd that there isn't a running back in the 26.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.