Safety Markell Boston Commits to Auburn

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Re: Safety Markell Boston making official visit this weekend

May be in reaction to Tavon Ross choosing to visit Miami instead of us.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

RTO, any idea what classification Boston plays in in Georgia? His film makes him look like a "man child in the promise and".
6a in georgia....new defensive coordinator moved him to safety this year

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA

6a here in Georgia is where some of the best football is played and is extremely competitive. All of the schools there have (on average) 2,000+ students and some go as high at 3,500+. EC has been a solid program here for a long long time and they are one of the largest schools in the state, ranking in the top 10-12 student population wise (around 3,500 students total). Reason for me bringing up the population numbers is level of competition based on numbers playing playing the respective sport.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Most any class in Georgia is "man football" compared to most states. I could only compare it to 5A, 6A, and 7A here in Alabama.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Extremely impressive film. Instinctive and really glides to the ball.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN

Sounds very similar to the Eddie Jackson story last year. A 3 star WR committed to ECU and now probably getting a late offer from Alabama who wants him as a DB most likely a safety.

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013

Interesting news....Markell said that he will know later on this week if he has a scholarship from Bama. He said that Coach Saban told him that we have 23 commitments and can take 25....and we have two right now that we dont know if they will qualify or not. Markell said that if it looks like one of the two will not qualify, then he will have an offer. This must mean that the two spots left must either be taken or the coaching staff expects them to be taken....(Elam, Humphrey.??)

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

Interesting news....Markell said that he will know later on this week if he has a scholarship from Bama. He said that Coach Saban told him that we have 23 commitments and can take 25....and we have two right now that we dont know if they will qualify or not. Markell said that if it looks like one of the two will not qualify, then he will have an offer. This must mean that the two spots left must either be taken or the coaching staff expects them to be taken....(Elam, Humphrey.??)
We basically have "take's" in Hump, Elam, Evans, and Dupre. If all 4 wanted to come, we'd make room.

Scarborough is one that may not qualify, but who is the other?
Scarborough is doable now.
Chris Williams is pretty much expected to make it now.
Dominick Jackson is expected to make it now.
OJ Smith was rumored to be one, but I have no concrete info.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I agree. Where did this guy come from? Can't believe he is a a 2-3* recruit. I guess he hasn't been to many camps? How are his academics? Academics was Eddie's anchor last year. Wonder what was holding Markell down.
Sometimes I wish Bama could just field 2 teams and let the B team play in another conference. I would be willing to bet our 2nd and 3rd string players could beat most teams in other conferences.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I agree. Where did this guy come from? Can't believe he is a a 2-3* recruit. I guess he hasn't been to many camps? How are his academics? Academics was Eddie's anchor last year. Wonder what was holding Markell down.
You find guys out there like this every year. As accelerated as the recruiting process has become, you are very much "late" to the recruiting scene if you are only getting noticed in the early stages of your senior season, and that's basically what has happened with Boston. He moved to safety, had a monster year, and it's only in the past few weeks that people are taking notice.

Hard to believe guys can still fall through the cracks, but it does happen. If you don't go to a high-profile program, or put up eye-popping stats (which is often very difficult for non-offensive skill position players to do), or participate in the camp/combine circuit, there are a lot of cracks to fall into.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

You find guys out there like this every year. As accelerated as the recruiting process has become, you are very much "late" to the recruiting scene if you are only getting noticed in the early stages of your senior season, and that's basically what has happened with Boston. He moved to safety, had a monster year, and it's only in the past few weeks that people are taking notice.

Hard to believe guys can still fall through the cracks, but it does happen. If you don't go to a high-profile program, or put up eye-popping stats (which is often very difficult for non-offensive skill position players to do), or participate in the camp/combine circuit, there are a lot of cracks to fall into.

And that's what's wrong with recruiting today. These camps and the 7-on-7's are starting to look like the AAU (60 Minutes on Sports did a great expose on this in the fall of 2013). I see very talented kids here in the Tampa Bay Area every year, who go unnoticed and end up going DII or NAIA somewhere or leaving football altogether.

atlbama

2nd Team
Nov 18, 2005
Dunwoody, GA

Extremely impressive film. Instinctive and really glides to the ball.
His insticts are what jumped out at me as well. He certainly seems to have the physical tools, but it sure seemed like he read a lot of the plays very quickly. Hard to believe he is relatively new to the position.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

There are a lot of late bloomers too. That's how you see so many 1st rounders from no-name schools who end up being really great. Not every 18 year old has reached his physical peak yet. The down side to early recruiting is the same as the down side of starting a football season with top 20 polls.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

And that's what's wrong with recruiting today. These camps and the 7-on-7's are starting to look like the AAU (60 Minutes on Sports did a great expose on this in the fall of 2013). I see very talented kids here in the Tampa Bay Area every year, who go unnoticed and end up going DII or NAIA somewhere or leaving football altogether.
There is a large degree of truth in the comparison of the camp circuit to AAU basketball teams, but it is what it is and it's not going away. Certainly there is a requirement for a lot of these kids -- again, those who don't go to high-profile schools or who otherwise just don't jump off the screen -- to play the recruiting game properly, and to a large degree that entails going to every camp you can find.

Now, in fairness, you have far fewer of these fall-through-the-crack kids now than you've really ever had before, but realistically at some point it's just guaranteed to happen. Too many HS football players out there, and given that massive pool of potential players, just far too few resources at BCS conference programs to evaluate all of that potential talent.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

There is a large degree of truth in the comparison of the camp circuit to AAU basketball teams, but it is what it is and it's not going away. Certainly there is a requirement for a lot of these kids -- again, those who don't go to high-profile schools or who otherwise just don't jump off the screen -- to play the recruiting game properly, and to a large degree that entails going to every camp you can find.

Now, in fairness, you have far fewer of these fall-through-the-crack kids now than you've really ever had before, but realistically at some point it's just guaranteed to happen. Too many HS football players out there, and given that massive pool of potential players, just far too few resources at BCS conference programs to evaluate all of that potential talent.
Chris Jones last year is another perfect example and Jackson (to a lesser extent). Even experts miss on the kids that do participate. Look at Holcombe; he's gone to camps and did the AL/MS all star game, but is a 3* even though he was clearly one of the best kids out there.

I think we got steals in Smith and Dwight because they didn't really play the camp circuit and are only 3* as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.