*** Former FSU QB Jacob Coker Transferring to Alabama ***

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Re: Coker has transferred to Alabama per Bleacher Report....

I read an AL.com article that listed our QB's and it didn't list Alec Morris. Is he still on our team as far as we know?
Morris still on the team. According to one of his former coaches at Allen, most likely leaving unless he is named starter in spring. With Coker coming on board don't see that happening... FWIW his former coaches advising him to stay at BAMA and get a degree b/c he isn't going pro and most likely will have to step down to a non-BCS conference to start...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Re: Coker has transferred to Alabama per Bleacher Report....

Morris still on the team. According to one of his former coaches at Allen, most likely leaving unless he is named starter in spring. With Coker coming on board don't see that happening... FWIW his former coaches advising him to stay at BAMA and get a degree b/c he isn't going pro and most likely will have to step down to a non-BCS conference to start...
The backup is just one play away...hope he realizes that. We have really been lucky over the past few, actually several years at the QB position injury wise. Was it Brody the last time the starter was lost for the year?

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
Re: Coker has committed to Alabama...

With AJ leaving , and Coker coming in, Spring & Fall practice will be exciting once again..The QB race will be fun as it unfolds..I can't wait & see the A Day Game this go around..I really hope I can go watch it this year..
I agree. Just have a feeling A Day game this year might be a little crowded and I'm not referring to outside BDS :) RTR

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

Alas no, my Chattanooga brethren, Mr Ford remains forever in that elusive "potential" or "just you wait" category. (Thankfully, we have moved past that era of hope in that category).
Well, we can always discuss crimson vs. white helmets, names or no names on the back jerseys, and, finally, will Mike Ford ever play for the Tide?

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005

... he's certainly got the *BAMA QB Bangs* haircut - that's important, ya know :D

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

The last two times we had a first year starter, we won the national championship. Just saying...
And with college football going to a new format the decide the next NC, of course, it's only appropriate the greatest football program in the history of college football, should be the 1st NC wit the new format..Just Saying..

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida

And with college football going to a new format the decide the next NC, of course, it's only appropriate the greatest football program in the history of college football, should be the 1st NC wit the new format..Just Saying..
I like our chances.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Mod Note: The two Coker threads on the recruiting board have been merged into this thread.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

This only tells me that the coaching staff was not sold on anyone of the 5-6 QB's we currently have on scholarship being the starter next season...including one who has been a two year backup...

There will be a wide open competetion for QB this spring for sure...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

This only tells me that the coaching staff was not sold on anyone of the 5-6 QB's we currently have on scholarship being the starter next season...including one who has been a two year backup...

There will be a wide open competetion for QB this spring for sure...
Frankly, I think Coker is the type of talent that we would have taken almost regardless of our current quarterback crop. As I stated a couple of weeks back, we really just made a mistake not recruiting him out of high school.

That said, it's going to get very dicey this spring at quarterback. For all of the Blake Sims speculation, his situation is actually pretty secure. He's a fifth-year kid, last chance and all, and he's either the starter or the back-up (again). For Morris, Bateman, and McLeod, though, things are going to very intense. Those three are fighting not so much for the starting job, but instead merely to remain in serious contention for playing time moving forward. Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised to see the bottom two out of that three-man race transfer in the offseason.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Frankly, I think Coker is the type of talent that we would have taken almost regardless of our current quarterback crop. As I stated a couple of weeks back, we really just made a mistake not recruiting him out of high school.

That said, it's going to get very dicey this spring at quarterback. For all of the Blake Sims speculation, his situation is actually pretty secure. He's a fifth-year kid, last chance and all, and he's either the starter or the back-up (again). For Morris, Bateman, and McLeod, though, things are going to very intense. Those three are fighting not so much for the starting job, but instead merely to remain in serious contention for playing time moving forward. Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised to see the bottom two out of that three-man race transfer in the offseason.
Agreed...especially with the OK kid already on campus.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

There will be a wide open competition for QB this spring for sure...
People keep saying stuff like that, but for the record if you count incoming (and injured) David Cornwell, it's 5. David Cornwell will be a true freshman, so Coker's importance has absolutely nothing to do with him because things would be really bad to start a true freshmen at QB. So, that leaves 4.

Blame Sims
Alec Morris
Cooper Bateman
Parker McLeod

I think you can draw your own conclusions about Alec Morris, but as far as Bateman or McLeod go? G-Mac didn't start as a redshirt freshman, AJ didn't start as a redshirt freshmen, and it doesn't necessarily say anything bad that Alabama doesn't seem in a hurry to start a freshman. As far as Blake goes, even if the team absolutely loves him he only has one year of eligibility left. Bringing in Coker makes a ton of sense for a lot of reasons, the team simply doesn't have the depth that a lot of people have imagined, because since Alabama brought in that big class of QBs, 3 are now gone.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

HAHA..The most important trait to become the starting QB at Bama is the "Bama Bangs"..The "Bama Bangs" allows for a tighter spiral & at least 10 more yards when throwing long bombs..The power of the "Bangs" is powerful when it's unleashed on unsuspecting opponents & Coker's "Bangs" would certainly carry on that proud tradition at Bama..LOL

... he's certainly gotthe *BAMA QB Bangs* haircut - that's important, ya know :D

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.