What's the deal with all the ellipses? (Grammar & punctuation nitpicking...)

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Its just odd that I've never been on another message board that does it as much as this one.
I for one am just glad that you took the time to grace us with your knowledge & beautifully crafted posts to inform us of our failings.

Clearly you've never been to onlymorsecodeforum.com.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Re: What's the deal with all the ellipses?

At least they aren't using bullet points.
Not yet, but:

* I think we'll migrate there;
* and if we do, it will be the new ellipses;
* so, I would prepare to because it's probably coming;
* if, you think I'm wrong, you're may be right;
* but then again, I may be crazy;
* I hope this is the end......

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida

I'm going to put those beautiful little dots in every flippin' thing I post henceforth...

Long live the dots!!!

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

I'm going to put those beautiful little dots in every flippin' thing I post henceforth...

Long live the dots!!!

Passive aggression is so ................................ :)unbecoming

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

This guy is the grammar Nazi version of the food critic from a few years ago. You guys remember her?
Speaking of ... I do need some additional advice on when to tip at a restaurant and how much to tip ...

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: What's the deal with all the ellipses? (Grammar & punctuation nitpicking)

New here. Lurked for a long time (before any BCS titles).

Why do people seem to constantly misuse ellipses? It drives me crazy. Maybe some awareness could help the issue. Certain posters use it all the time, but I've noticed lately it's being used by more and more posters.

Arrgh!
You don't have enough problems. I'm going to pray that the Lord will send you some...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: What's the deal with all the ellipses? (Grammar & punctuation nitpicking)

In honor of this thread -- I've decided to move from the three dot ... segue to a more modern "double dash' -- transition.

I hope this move causes you much less stress in your thread reading day.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Because discussion on most message boards tends to be conducted more like discussion while leaning against a bar: it's informal and conversational. The next time you're involved in an informal conversation, make note of how many sentences are left dangling, usually left with some sort of implied conclusion.

Unlike conversation in a bar however, we don't have body language, facial expressions and voice inflection to help us accurately convey or interpret that dangling implication. So...

Either that, or like others have suggested, we're just dolts trying to mask our inability to complete a coherent thought...
it's funny that all ns threads seem to somehow get redirected to dangling by the 3rd page"..

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

I think it's the fact that none of us have complete thoughts. So, the ellipses are used to detract from the fact that we don't know what point we're making, and we are hoping that it will be completed in our next post.
Using "..." is an ellipsis. The plural of ellipsis is ellipses.

Using them within a paragraph isn't so bothersome. It's the constant use to end posts that grinds my gears.

I'm no grammar Nazi either. I make typos all the time. It's just my pet peeve on message boards. I visit other boards too and don't see it nearly as much as I do here. I think I know why that is, but I'll keep that to myself.
ok...I looked it up and see what it is now. I didn't remember that, that had a name. Oh well. I guess we can title this thread, "Grammar police level: Expert."

I'm thinking about starting a thread concerning comma splices. :biggrin2:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Let me learn one rule at a time. Comma splices can be next week.
Then can we do run-on sentences because run-on sentences are one of my pet peavies and I see them all the time here even though I don't really notice them as much on Facebook or other forums, there must be some sort of issue with Alabama fans, specifically Tidefans Alabama fans because I don't see very many run-on sentences elsewhere, just here.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.