What's the deal with all the ellipses? (Grammar & punctuation nitpicking...)

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
New here. Lurked for a long time (before any BCS titles).

Why do people seem to constantly misuse ellipses? It drives me crazy. Maybe some awareness could help the issue. Certain posters use it all the time, but I've noticed lately it's being used by more and more posters.

Arrgh!

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Re: What's the deal with all the ellipses?

It's a common grammatical error on just about every message board you're likely to frequent. Ignore it as best you can.

Oh, and don't call anybody on it unless you like being accused of being a grammar nazi.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

New here. Lurked for a long time (before any BCS titles).

Why do people seem to constantly misuse ellipses? It drives me crazy. Maybe some awareness could help the issue. Certain posters use it all the time, but I've noticed lately it's being used by more and more posters.

Arrgh!
I'm a huge abuser of writing that way.... mostly because it's a way for me to transition a thought while not having to be SOOOO professional. I also find it makes sentences easier to read....

Sorry if it annoyed you.

I can give you a list of 10 things that are more annoying about me than that......... ;)

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

I don't follow what he's complaining about at all. Is there a non-math definition I am not aware of? This sounds like a grammar hand slap. Can someone explain this slowly so that even an engineer can understand it.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I'm a huge abuser of writing that way.... mostly because it's a way for me to transition a thought while not having to be SOOOO professional. I also find it makes sentences easier to read....

Sorry if it annoyed you.

I can give you a list of 10 things that are more annoying about me than that......... ;)
I'm probably one of the world's worst...I don't know why I do it...I guess it's just my journalistic style.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)

I was going to chime in here... but I opted out...for now... ;)

(I'm quite sure I'm one of the more guilty ones. Mea culpa! There now; 3 entire sentences without the e-word. Just the one misused semi-colon. And the two incomplete sentences in a row here.)
:ROCKER:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

I think it's the fact that none of us have complete thoughts. So, the ellipses are used to detract from the fact that we don't know what point we're making, and we are hoping that it will be completed in our next post.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Using "..." is an ellipsis. The plural of ellipsis is ellipses.

Using them within a paragraph isn't so bothersome. It's the constant use to end posts that grinds my gears.

I'm no grammar Nazi either. I make typos all the time. It's just my pet peeve on message boards. I visit other boards too and don't see it nearly as much as I do here. I think I know why that is, but I'll keep that to myself.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

ok...I looked it up and see what it is now. I didn't remember that, that had a name. Oh well. I guess we can title this thread, "Grammar police level: Expert."

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Using "..." is an ellipsis. The plural of ellipsis is ellipses.

Using them within a paragraph isn't so bothersome. It's the constant use to end posts that grinds my gears.

I'm no grammar Nazi either. I make typos all the time. It's just my pet peeve on message boards. I visit other boards too and don't see it nearly as much as I do here. I think I know why that is, but I'll keep that to myself.
Roll Tide....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.