Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Quick Note on 24/7 Sports

    Wanted to make a quick note on this. Shannon Terry, founder and principal owner of 24/7 Sports, posted this on his Twitter account several days back:



    Announcing profitability to the public, while talking about EBITDA, cash flows, accounting methods, and income statements? In other words, he's looking to line up and entice potential buyers for his new network.

    Don't know what kind of market he realistically faces at this juncture -- ESPN has tried to divest from the recruiting coverage market, and Fox Sports finally sold off its train-wreck ownership of Scout -- but I'm sure a media conglomerate will come along before too long. Shannon is going to make a heck of a lot of money off the sale (again), and he's being pretty transparent about that fact too.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    19,923
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Quick Note on 24/7 Sports

    Adding to 247's worth, they announced a partnership with CoachingSearch.com. Link
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

    Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

  4. #3
    Thread Starter

    Re: Quick Note on 24/7 Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Adding to 247's worth, they announced a partnership with CoachingSearch.com. Link
    Coaching search news has actually been a targeted area of growth for several years by all of the major recruiting websites, and this move by 24/7 is just in furtherance of that.

    The problem, of course, has been in the execution, which has been outright terrible. You've basically had a bunch of self-proclaimed "insiders" either making up rumors or being overzealous dupes such that they run to digital print with everything they hear in passing. Neither produce a quality product, and certainly neither produce anything worth paying real money to read. Look at the Orange Bloods fiasco during the Texas coaching search as a good example, though in fairness nearly all of them have been equally as guilty.

    Not sure 24/7's new deal with CoachingSearch will change any of that -- frankly, in the short-term, the biggest difference will likely be that CoachingSearch gets paid a lot of money -- but it does show a conscious effort being made in that direction.

  5. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    19,923
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Quick Note on 24/7 Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    Coaching search news has actually been a targeted area of growth for several years by all of the major recruiting websites, and this move by 24/7 is just in furtherance of that.

    The problem, of course, has been in the execution, which has been outright terrible. You've basically had a bunch of self-proclaimed "insiders" either making up rumors or being overzealous dupes such that they run to digital print with everything they hear in passing. Neither produce a quality product, and certainly neither produce anything worth paying real money to read. Look at the Orange Bloods fiasco during the Texas coaching search as a good example, though in fairness nearly all of them have been equally as guilty.

    Not sure 24/7's new deal with CoachingSearch will change any of that -- frankly, in the short-term, the biggest difference will likely be that CoachingSearch gets paid a lot of money -- but it does show a conscious effort being made in that direction.
    Just thinking here, but wouldn't CoachingSearch improve now with working with the writers from each school's 247 site? For instance, Travis Reier or Chris Walsh will know more about what's happening in Tuscaloosa than Pete Rousel at his house.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

    Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

  6. #5
    Thread Starter

    Re: Quick Note on 24/7 Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Just thinking here, but wouldn't CoachingSearch improve now with working with the writers from each school's 247 site? For instance, Travis Reier or Chris Walsh will know more about what's happening in Tuscaloosa than Pete Rousel at his house.
    That's the idea behind it, but again who knows if it will work in practice? The problem is that for every reasonably connected and intuitive person like a Reier or Walsh, you typically find five to ten eggheads spewing the Terry Saban-house-hunting-in-Austin stuff.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!