Keenan Allen -- one poll's NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Re: Keenan Allen -- NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year

Cal went 15-22 while Allen was there, 9-18 in conference. Bama went 33-5 with two BCS titles in that time. He missed out more than we did.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Since they come as a package deal, honorifics presumably included, does this mean his bro' got the award as un-NFL Rookie of the Year?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Two points here:

(1) Can't really argue with the choice very much. Lacy had a fine year, of course, but wide receiver is a more valuable position in the NFL and Allen was arguably the main impetus in getting the Chargers back to being a playoff contender.

(2) Allen is seemingly a pretty good kid -- no off-field troubles, etc. -- but he's just a mercurial character, to put it mildly. The whole spurning-Alabama-and-going-cross-country-to-play-with-my-half-brother-in-a-terrible-program bit wasn't exactly the only time he's made some pretty rash decisions. For example, earlier in the year, he was unhappy with playing time in San Diego and nearly quit the Chargers to pursue a rap career. Again, seems like a good kid, but he's a pretty strange dude in a lot of ways.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999

Saban tried to get Jameis Winston to come here. If he wins Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2015, should we have a thread about that?
Well you know, it is the off-season. There are many topics related to Alabama football that we probably would not care much about during the season. However, considering KA was a major want by Bama and Lacy is competing with him for Offensive Rookie of the year, how can you not see the relevancy of the post?

And yes, I suppose that since Winston won the the National Championship with FSU that encouraged some discussion on this site since he too was a target of our recruiting and even more so being an Alabama native. Furthermore, if he wins the NFL rookie of the year or offensive rookie of the year, I would suspect it to be mentioned on this forum. With your permission of course.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

It wasn't an official award but I was pleased that Chris Collingsworth made Eddie his Rookie of the Year on his Pre Pro Bowl show. He is normally everything NOT Bama.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County

He also cost Jeff Tedford his job. If KA had come to Bama he would have been run out of town by Saban in under a year. When Tedford was fired stories came out from other Cal players that the KA basically forced Tedford to start his brother at QB with a "He starts or I don't play". With Tedford's career on the line he couldn't afford to not play his best player and got himself stuck. Killed team moral and ultimately his HC job. Think Saban would have put up with any of this? No way
Good information--This is a really good lesson. Coach Saban would not compromise his standard. Coach Bryant similar dilemmas and would not compromise with players like Macus Dupree--if anyone remembers that story.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I think we did just fine without Allen.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama

Saban tried to get Jameis Winston to come here. If he wins Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2015, should we have a thread about that?
Ha. I'm just excited that Tebow won the Heisman AND won a playoff game in Denver!!! We offered him, you know.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County

Two points here:

(1) Can't really argue with the choice very much. Lacy had a fine year, of course, but wide receiver is a more valuable position in the NFL and Allen was arguably the main impetus in getting the Chargers back to being a playoff contender.

(2) Allen is seemingly a pretty good kid -- no off-field troubles, etc. -- but he's just a mercurial character, to put it mildly. The whole spurning-Alabama-and-going-cross-country-to-play-with-my-half-brother-in-a-terrible-program bit wasn't exactly the only time he's made some pretty rash decisions. For example, earlier in the year, he was unhappy with playing time in San Diego and nearly quit the Chargers to pursue a rap career. Again, seems like a good kid, but he's a pretty strange dude in a lot of ways.
Very good analysis.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.