Is McCarron's agent tanking his pre-draft on purpose?

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
He hasn't made that excuse. He could just be a little hurt.
He's publicly said, repeatedly, that he was going to rehab that shoulder and hamstring that had been bothering him during the last half of the season. Plus he had a toe injury that put him in a boot for a while.

Combine all that and his desire to look his best for the scouts by waiting until Pro Day (of course, with his receivers), and that's all the explanation any of us needs, IMO.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If you have an arm or shoulder injury that hampers your true throwing ability, then why hurt your draft status by throwing at the combine and looking like you can't throw well enough to be a higher draft pick?
The NFL GM's and coaches have plenty of game film to watch in order to determine how well A.J. can truly throw the ball.
His agent, accordingly, and wanting to make A.J. and himself as much money as possible, chose the safe route. I can't find a problem with it. I think he's actually pretty smart.
sip

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
AJ is banged up smart thing is to let it heal.

dont be shocked if you see AJ go in the first or early 2nd round, the guy is a winner.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
He has nothing to gain throwing at the combine. He is much better off throwing at Pro Day to his receivers, on his field in a comfortable environment.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
It's all about perspective. Obviously, A.J. feels like his resume should stand alone - he put together a heckuva career at Bama.
On the other hand, if I were an NFL GM, I want to see the guy compete. I want to see how the guy I'm about to invest a draft pick on, performs under pressure - not necessarily throwing to his receivers on a field he's comfortable with.
Some teams will have major questions about AJ's reasons for not competing. Rightfully so or not. Like I mentioned, He built a great winning resume at Alabama where he competed at a high level, but he's done here. He has to prove it in the NFL now - a whole different ballgame.
If he's dealing with an injury, that's a whole different story - and perhaps his reps and himself don't want it getting out he's not 100%.... bottom line is we won't know until draft day if his failure to play in the Senior Bowl or throw at the combine will help or hurt his stock. He only needs one team to believe he's their QB of the future.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Here's some of the stuff out there. All pointing to late second day.

http://fansided.com/2014/01/15/nfl-draft-2014-jacksonville-jaguars-draft-aj-mccarron/

Teams will likely not think less of McCarron for skipping the Senior Bowl, but it’s impossible to predict the mindset of some front offices and it’s also something we hadn’t considered before .If the Jaguars are thinking like other teams in the NFL, then perhaps not playing in the Senior Bowl will end up sinking McCarron rather than preserving his current value.
http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/3562/is-mccarrons-competitiveness-an-issue

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000300105/article/alabama-qb-aj-mccarron-viewed-by-most-as-23rd-rounder

Last edited:

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia
I doubt his agent is "tanking" for a better team. Those guys get paid off of commission and generally the higher a player is drafted the more they get paid.
you are correct, but you fell to mention the longer he plays the longer the agent gets his commission. Is it better to get a big chunk for a couple three years or a nice chunk for a longer time? just asking.......

gator

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
If I knew Jacksonville was looking at me, and skipping the SB would lessen what they think of me...............you would be blinded by the flash of how quickly I would skip it. Ditto for the rest of the other teams with an immediate need at QB.

DothanTide

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 6, 2011
Not throwing at the Combine won't hurt him. No one really evaluates a QB's throwing ability there. The interviews with teams are the most important thing for him there. Not going to the Senior Bowl maybe raised some eyebrows, but outside of the teams that actually coach it, no one uses it as that big of an evaluation tool for QBs(if they know what they're doing).

EDIT: Also, ignore ESPN's Jacksonville beat writer. Dude's a major Gator homer and he nor ESPN know much about the team at all.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.