Alabama oversigning?

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
Just tell the UGa fans who are in your ear that maybe if they had signed a few more players they may have found a DB that knows how to knock down a pass.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Alabama (and every other school) has to send the NCAA a list of everyone on their roster and who all is on a scholarship. If the NCAA believes we are following the rules then you can tell Georgia fans to go fly a kite.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wonder if the 25 limit cost us a title last year.
The 25 signing limit ix extremely harmful and it's hard to tell what kind of an impact it had, however it is a clear advantage to the ACC (for instance this year Florida St. and Miami already have 27 and Miami has reduced scholarships).

I thought about making a post at the start of the past season talking about the SEC sewing the seeds of their own destruction. Interestingly, in my mind it was the ACC (they routinely have programs sign in the 30s) and FSU that stood to benefit... The margin of error is not that high, the difference is not that great. One can safely assume that one or two players can be the difference. So, when an SEC program has to back off on recruiting some guys because of grade issues or what not, and in turn an ACC program can go after them because they have no signing limit, well that's not just a loss for the SEC program, that's a gain by the ACC program. So, I think you start to stretch that out over 4 or 5 years, and the difference can and will be substantial. The SEC effectively lowered the scholarship limit on themselves, think about it like this, with Saban's first #1 recruiting class, he had 2 guys leave to play MLB. If he had to redo that with the stupid signing limit, how does that class play out? Who is left off?

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
All this is just another example of how bad the NCAA is for college football. Recruiting is a mess with teams trying their best to field a good group within these restrictions. Just look at what Chop pointed out 25 per year is 100 in 4 years but you have to be at 85?

So to just be FAIR Alabama can field the same numbers as Bosie?

No consideration for mid year injuries?

Teams should at least be at 100, I would like 125 but the NCAA can't count.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Seniors:
Kenny Bell
John Fulton
AJ McCarron
Tana Patrick
Deion Belue
Nick Perry
Cody Mandell
C.J. Mosley
Tyler Bass
Adrian Hubbard
Cade Foster
Matt Tinney
Ed Stinson
Anthony Steen
Kellen Williams
Ty Reed
Kevin Norwood
Players leaving for NFL:
A. Hubbard
Arie K.
J. Pagan
Vinnie Sunseri
Haha Clinton Dix

Transferring:
Del Rio
A. Kamara
Dee Hart
LaMarcus Fanning
Wilson Love ( medical Hardship or transferring)

That is 26 players leaving the program in total. We may expect 2-4 transfers before spring practice begins. I would expect Kyle Kazakevicius, Micheal Nysewander, Josh Dickerson Harold Nicholson to bet let go. We'll make room for it.
Didn't know Dee was transferring. Where is he going? I hate to hear this he has been through a lot and been a good citizen for us. Not to mention he is good on special team.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I realize most of you aren't native Georgia speakers, so I'll do my best. In the Georgia language, Oversigning is loosely translated to "Saban must be cheating but I don't have any actual evidence". :)

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
UGA not knowing to knock down a 50+ yard fourth down pass cost Bama THE title.
If we take care of business, It wouldn't have mattered. We would've been guaranteed a shot at the SEC if UGA doesn't pull a bone head move, but we still had control of our destiny.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think a lot of the discussion is missing the point. Although the OP referenced the "oversigning," that, per se, cannot be done. What Saban is really accused of is creating attrition. He's accused of faked medicals, etc. The last time I looked at the attrition numbers, we were somewhere around the middle of the pack in the SEC. However, the "winner," in the worst sense of the word, in attrition, for quite a few years, has been Auburn. Saban's had quite a few kids carried on scholarship for a full four years and who've never seen the field. He's stated that no kid will ever lose his scholly just for not panning out. The ones who leave either "earn" their way out, transfer or get hurt...

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
I think a lot of the discussion is missing the point. Although the OP referenced the "oversigning," that, per se, cannot be done. What Saban is really accused of is creating attrition. He's accused of faked medicals, etc. The last time I looked at the attrition numbers, we were somewhere around the middle of the pack in the SEC. However, the "winner," in the worst sense of the word, in attrition, for quite a few years, has been Auburn. Saban's had quite a few kids carried on scholarship for a full four years and who've never seen the field. He's stated that no kid will ever lose his scholly just for not panning out. The ones who leave either "earn" their way out, transfer or get hurt...
^^THAT^^ is what I assumed this thread was about - the way Coach Saban "makes the numbers work" each offseason. I don't know how many times I have read the same sarcastic, accusatory comment that said someone was "PROCESSED" when they transferred to a smaller school or were put on a medical scholarship. I don't have the data to back it up but I would guess the overwhelming majority of those comments were from Auburn fans, which is wonderfully ironic in light of the fact that they typically have the highest amount of attrition in the SEC.

I did not know that before Earle's post. Earle where do you get that type of data?

I think the bottom line to all of this is, when you are on top you wear a big target and people love to throw stones whether they have a right to or not. Guys I wouldn't trade being on top for the alternative, so let 'em keep hatin!!! it reminds us of who we are.

-Sully

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
^^THAT^^ is what I assumed this thread was about - the way Coach Saban "makes the numbers work" each offseason. I don't know how many times I have read the same sarcastic, accusatory comment that said someone was "PROCESSED" when they transferred to a smaller school or were put on a medical scholarship. I don't have the data to back it up but I would guess the overwhelming majority of those comments were from Auburn fans, which is wonderfully ironic in light of the fact that they typically have the highest amount of attrition in the SEC.

I did not know that before Earle's post. Earle where do you get that type of data?

I think the bottom line to all of this is, when you are on top you wear a big target and people love to throw stones whether they have a right to or not. Guys I wouldn't trade being on top for the alternative, so let 'em keep hatin!!! it reminds us of who we are.

-Sully
It's public information and there have been several news articles about it. I don't recall when and where. It wasn't really important to me except for the "pot calling kettle" angle. I think one of the articles was about their latest "blockbuster" class. I want to think it was 2010 and they were ranked in the top five or so. The writer analyzed those lost to academic reasons, criminal activities, transfers and unknown reasons and less than half of the class was left, IIRC...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I want to think it was 2010 and they were ranked in the top five or so. The writer analyzed those lost to academic reasons, criminal activities, transfers and unknown reasons and less than half of the class was left, IIRC...
That 2010 Auburn class had suffered nearly a 50% attrition rate a mere two years later. Outside of Cam Newton, that class was basically a fiasco and played a big role in Chizik getting fired. Lot of guys ended up in legal trouble, a lot of transfers, several academic casualties, and frankly a lot of highly-touted signees who never panned out, like Trovon Reed, LaDarius Owens, and Craig Sanders.

In any event, you're right above, the real argument with Saban is not that he has particularly unique rates of attrition -- which is demonstrably false -- but that he in fact creates attrition among players who are struggling on the field. It's absolute nonsense, and is never supported by anything more than a few offhand examples of players, but good luck convincing a true believer. They are hellbent on screaming bloody murder when a kid bottom-of-the-depth-chart player ends up on a medical scholarship -- apparently below average college football players are somehow naturally immune to injuries, it would seem, and can't possibly ever get hurt playing football -- but refuse to even acknowledge when it happens to highly-touted prospects and key cogs, guys like Zeke Knight, Kerry Murphy, and Kendall Kelly. Ditto for below-caliber players like William Ming and Chris Capps, who stick around as fifth year seniors, while we've kicked highly-recruited guys like Brent Calloway and Eddie Williams to the curb.

It's a pointless debate because those people just refuse to listen to reason and ignore anything and everything that disputes their moralistic assumptions.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.