Alabama oversigning?

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
Catching a lot of flack on another (non-Alabama) forum about Alabama's supposed oversigning policies. Not all that familiar with the process and how it all works.

Can you guys aware me as to how we are signing 12 players more than we are supposed to have?

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Some players will be or are on medical hardship. Some players will transfer for various reasons, such as not doing the things they are supposed to do, or looking for more playing time. Some players who have graduated and have never played much will not play their 5th year. Schools never report the details of these things to protect the players. But the NCAA knows the numbers.

There will be several teams who sign more than the number of seniors who left. 9 teams in the top 25 have more than 25 committments right now, and looking to sign more than that. Most don't currently have that many spots on the books. Tennessee is signing up the the 30s. FSU has 27 committments and are recruiting several more.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Catching a lot of flack on another (non-Alabama) forum about Alabama's supposed oversigning policies. Not all that familiar with the process and how it all works.

Can you guys aware me as to how we are signing 12 players more than we are supposed to have?
In the SEC you cannot over sign... You are limited to 25 scholarships by conference rule. Where some teams may appear to over sign is if you have spots you can back fill, an early enrollee can take one of those spots. Typically you have an extra spot if a scholarship was not used the previous year. All that said, you cannot have more than 85 on scholarship when numbers get reported, I believe the start of fall practice.

Nobody knows for sure how many kids were on scholarship last fall so just saying 85-seniors and early entrants = how many we can sign is not accurate. The belief is we probably had 80-83 on scholarship this past fall. The other unknown is leaves between now and the summer. Injuries, transfers, acts of stupidity will reduce the number on scholarship.

The best guess by most in the know is we can sign 26 or 27 in order to meet the first number and besides the announced transfers, seniors and early entrants to the draft, we may be 2-4 spots over 85 if we add 26 or 27. It has been mentioned we have 2 or 3 kids with eligibility that have degrees already and I wouldn't be surprised if Saban already knows they are not coming back. In the end, it will work out and the haters will remain haters..

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

Alabama currently has 25 verbal commits. Where are you getting the extra 12 from?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Seniors:
Kenny Bell
John Fulton
AJ McCarron
Tana Patrick
Deion Belue
Nick Perry
Cody Mandell
C.J. Mosley
Tyler Bass
Adrian Hubbard
Cade Foster
Matt Tinney
Ed Stinson
Anthony Steen
Kellen Williams
Ty Reed
Kevin Norwood
Players leaving for NFL:
A. Hubbard
Arie K.
J. Pagan
Vinnie Sunseri
Haha Clinton Dix

Transferring:
Del Rio
A. Kamara
Dee Hart
LaMarcus Fanning
Wilson Love ( medical Hardship or transferring)

That is 26 players leaving the program in total. We may expect 2-4 transfers before spring practice begins. I would expect Kyle Kazakevicius, Micheal Nysewander, Josh Dickerson Harold Nicholson to bet let go. We'll make room for it.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

GA folks just need to worry about GA folks. IMO :)

Denisevi4

3rd Team
Aug 9, 2006
Don't forget about a possibility of one/two of OUR commits flipping. I trust our staff, don't worry about what other people telling you

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Over-signing and gray-shirting are completely within the rules--it's how many you report as being on scholarship that is the real important number with the NCAA.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Del Rio was not on scholarship, and would not count. I don't think Ty Reed, Matt Tinney, and Tyler Bass are either. Nick Perry was granted a medical waiver and will be back next year. Dee Hart may tranfer but hasn't yet.

That's at least 7 off that list.

What? Didn't know the Hart was considering leaving. Hate that.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Just what I'm being told. I don't claim to know, but would like to be able to intelligently respond. Hence, the thread here.
As JustNeedMe81 pointed out, I forgot about (7 I believe) early enrollees. Which would add to our total of 25. When it's all said and done, due of attrition, non-qualifiers and decommits we will always come out with the right number thanks to CNS and the staff. Arguing with opponents fans is useless, you'll never be able to convince them regardless of your evidence. You might as well do this instead.:banghead: I

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Warning this is a long post hope its helpful.

1 we don't over sign, not by the actual standards. By made up big 10 standards any team not in the big10 (even though they do it too) over signs by signing 25 players a year. NCAA scholarship rules for football state that each d1 team is allowed 85 overall players on scholly at a time, and a team may only bring in 25 scholarship players a year. By sec rules a school may only SIGN 25 per academic year.

Doing the math if you bring in 25 players a year for 4 years you have 100 players on scholarship. 15 more than allowed. Which means some people on campus are either losing their scholarships or you're cheating outright. Some refer to this as oversigning because you are signing more players in a class than you have spots for. However, since no one outside of the university and team knows who IS and IS NOT still on scholarship at any given time it's ridiculous to try and guess and make a deal of it as well as the threads that pop up of "how do we get to 25 (85)" on the recruiting board. Players lose scholarships all the time for disciplinary or other purposes and we never find out, that info is protected and honestly it's nobodies business. No matter what a school or coach says scholarships,to any school, are not guaranteed, and can be revoked for specific reasons.

It's beyond us to know it's not public info and is anyone who offers info is just speculating on rumors. The easy answer is that nick Saban is smart and can count to both 25 and 85 and leave it at that. Don't bother explaining it to anyone on a message board just go back to lurking or don't engage them. The big 10 hasn't sniffed a title since wifi was a household product, they need something to crow about and that's the only thing they got.

2 when sec fans discuss oversigning it's usually in regards to signing more than 25 players in a class. Sometimes teams can back count because they have open spots from players leaving or nor qualifying in the previous class and can back count them in the previous academic year if they enroll in January. However before the hard cap was in place it was not uncommon to see teams sign 28-30 players with some being placed in JUCO or prep schools due to academic or clearinghouse issues. Houston nutt signed somewhere around 35 players in his first ole miss class. That was the beginning of the "Houston nutt rule" creating a hard singing cap that now stands at 25, back counters excluded.

This was very common in the sec but now is more rare, though I'm not certain how ut has found room to back count the entire state of Tennessee in its current class, but that's not for me to ever figure out. It's a case for the NCAA and if ut makes it work good in them. Oversigning is not a reason a team becomes good or wins, good recruiting, player development, coaching and discipline of the players makes that happen regardless who you sign and who's on scholarship, as well as a lot of luck when it's needed. As we saw this year talent alone doesn't get it done.

Sorry for for the length of this message, but i feel it's as long as it needs to be. Hope it helps.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
Thanks for all the responses so far. And, yeah, I know that arguing on the internet is pointless but, it is fun to rustle their jimmies.

I just didn't know enough about it to respond appropriately.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.