The Future of Alabama Basketball and Anthony Grant

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Tubby Smith has a very low on talent Texas Tech team at 10-10, 2-5. Just read an article where the writer thought that in itself was a miracle. Sadly, though the relationship with CM Newton is still good, he's probably in his last coaching job.

I wanted Grant when we got him. His home record is fine, on the road we've been abysmal. No excuse for what happened tonight, but then again it's happened before. I'm asking myself if there is less talent there than I think or is it strictly a coaching issue. I know this, you shouldn't be having your worst season in your fifth year...

The crowds are bad (how do you not sell out against a 6th ranked Florida team?); the play is inconsistent (at best); yet I've felt we could compete against just about any team we've played (Wichita State and Duke included).

I have a hard time understanding it. It does seem the record player is skipping back to the same song. I've gone to several games this year because my 5 year old son loves it and we've pretty much gotten free tickets to every game we've attended (a point in itself...). Maybe I'm going because I love my son, who knows, but I'm desperate for us to get better. We may have a good class coming in next year, but our best player graduates and the majority of the contributors will go the next year. I don't see it getting better.

It really comes down to who you truly have a chance to bring in as an upgrade, and possibly, how scared are you of Bruce Pearl...

If we continue to slide and don't win another SEC road game, along with a few more home losses, will a change be made? Of course, nobody here, knows the answer right now.

However, if we can secure coach Bruce Pearl, we need to do it. The man knows how to coach. He's had success at the SEC level and a proven track record. Somebody else will, if we don't.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Not trying to be confrontational or negative here. But, for the first time in 15 years I am considering not renewing my BB season tickets. The only way I can voice my displeasure is by not renewing.

Signed...Very frustrated!
It's time for Grant to go, IMO. However, I don't see how you can stomach CMG, but not CAG. The only difference between to two is the SEC is so weak we can't get in with 12-6 conference records.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
I used to be a very active participant on the this and other Bama basketball boards. I'd drive from Atlanta to Tuscaloosa to watch the games. Now I don't care. I'm over the CAG experience. I've defended him up until this season. There is nothing for me to defend. The future doesn't look bright. I don't even watch the games anymore. The basketball is so atrocious. I feel bad for Trevor Releford. He deserves so much better than what he's gotten thus far during his senior season.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Then perhaps the people who count need a remedial arithmetic class.
Speaking of - if it's not verboten to ask - what's Grant still owed on his current contract? What would it cost UA if he were in the ultimate trouble this year?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I wanted CAG to work out, but unfortunately he suffers from the same "stubbornness" of his predecessor when it comes to the X's and O's.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I wanted CAG to work out, but unfortunately he suffers from the same "stubbornness" of his predecessor when it comes to the X's and O's.
In the 42 years I've been a serious fan, this is the worst shooting and ball-handling Alabama team I've ever seen. Hard to X and O around that. Of course, players should get better under college coaching. Ours? Who?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He fought so hard to gain control of the team discipline wise, that he took away any and all personality.

No one appears to be having fun. I'm not saying you baby the Mitchell's and Green's all the time, but they at least we're fun to watch, and always seemed to be aggressive, until Grant squashed it out of them.

Billy Donovan has not developed any Coaches that have excelled in their own program. CAG may need to quickly change his style. Like now

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think Newton was just trying to be supportive of Grant rather than giving the honest opinion of the powers that be on his future as head coach.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I think Newton was just trying to be supportive of Grant rather than giving the honest opinion of the powers that be on his future as head coach.
A lot depends on who really has a say in the matter. It's entirely possible that those who like him so much as a man will give him every chance -- plus one -- to succeed as a coach.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
True. But if you look at us on Offense I think the talent and skill are there, but we just seem scared to attack the basket most times or to even throw up an open "J". I think the offense that he is trying to run is just not fitting for our players that we have.

In the 42 years I've been a serious fan, this is the worst shooting and ball-handling Alabama team I've ever seen. Hard to X and O around that. Of course, players should get better under college coaching. Ours? Who?

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
That may be a possibility. However, Coach Newton has lived in Tuscaloosa since about the time he retired from UK. He may be communicating what is reality. I think I read somewhere that the buyout this year is $6 million, but it drops to $3 or $2 million after next year. Not wanting to pay the buyout may be why Coach Newton said that.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
This is just sad and pathetic. I wanted CAG to do well, but it is not looking like that is going to happen. Maybe he is a mid-major coach......He is not what we thought he was.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
True. But if you look at us on Offense I think the talent and skill are there, but we just seem scared to attack the basket most times or to even throw up an open "J". I think the offense that he is trying to run is just not fitting for our players that we have.
Bud, we've been hearing about "the talent" for four years now. Best I can tell, it has never translated to the college game. They are not good in the open court. They are not good in the half-court and they have never been able to shoot. TR is the best player, and a fine one, but he is way overrated as a point guard, in part because he has so little offensive help. Now Florida has shown the whole world how to play him: double team him out of the pick and roll and force him to give ground and burn clock. Who's he supposed to throw the ball to?

Maybe we should trap and run and slash and see what happens. It can't get any worse. Our entire team seems like its trapped in a mud run. And after all this time in Grant's offense, we still look like junior high players who haven't quite learned the plays.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Bud, we've been hearing about "the talent" for four years now. Best I can tell, it has never translated to the college game. They are not good in the open court. They are not good in the half-court and they have never been able to shoot. TR is the best player, and a fine one, but he is way overrated as a point guard, in part because he has so little offensive help. Now Florida has shown the whole world how to play him: double team him out of the pick and roll and force him to give ground and burn clock. Who's he supposed to throw the ball to?

Maybe we should trap and run and slash and see what happens. It can't get any worse. Our entire team seems like its trapped in a mud run. And after all this time in Grant's offense, we still look like junior high players who haven't quite learned the plays.
I don't know enough about offensive basketball, but do we run any type of discernible offense? I've heard some of the tv commentators mention that it's mostly a 2-man game, and that is what it looks like. During the UCLA game, I seem to remember Bill Walton being a little critical of the ball screen at the top of the key by the 5 position and stating that it is pretty meaningless to do that since that player is no threat from the outside. It's pretty boring to me to watch the style when the other 3 positions on the court just stand around and don't move without the ball.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I'm just gobsmacked by how fundamentally unsound - no, haphazardly helter-skelter - this team is. Agree with CrimsonEyeshade - never worse in the five decades I've followed 'Bama basketball. I can state the obvious that they play hard for Grant and haven't quit on him, but I can also state the obvious that there's only an :biga2:'s difference between CM Newton and Cam Newton, and that by coaching comparison of past and present, Gottfraud crashed by 40 against Duke the other night whilst Grant's "only" getting pounded by half that margin to as pathetic of D1 program as exists today.

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
I think the future of Alabama Basketball depends on whether you decide to cut Grant ties now, or wait another year due to financial reasons. I do think after last night it is inevitable he just doesnt have the tools and "plan" to get the job done.

Take in to consideration:
1) Getting blown out by your rival last night by 19 (lets not even go back to last years collapse after having a 12pt halftime lead on AU)
2) Losing to a team that was winless in league play (0-6)
3) Losing to a team that was on a 16 game SEC losing streak
4) Being the only 2 wins this team has had in their past 20+ SEC games

Honestly, in the business world this type of performance and company embarrasment would not be tolerated no matter what the financial consequences are.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.