The Future of Alabama Basketball and Anthony Grant

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
i normally don't pay attention to basketball in the regular season. I keep only a passing interest. This year has been different. I have had almost no interest. If a change is going to be made, I would rather it happen sooner rather than later. I think Grant will get another year unless things really go south (like finishing dead last in the SEC). If grant is fired who would we expect to get? Pearl? I was under the impression Pearl still had a NCAA issue?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I had to come back after a cool off period to be able to accurately state what I wanted to.

Firstly, I have been a huge CAG supporter. The last couple of years when people have called for his time at the Capstone to be over, I have laughed, scoffed, argued, and made fun of some of the reasons. I can no longer say I can support the direction of our program. There were little things building up throughout the season that culminate in that. The early season losses, and close losses to good teams...I could handle. Losing out to the UF's or Mizzou's in our conference...i could handle. Not being a tournament team this year, after having one of the top 10 schedules in the nation...I can handle. Getting to the point where the WORST TEAM IN THE SEC OWNS YOU, oh and happens to be your rival...not acceptable. Losing to teams you are supposed to...ya know, that happens most times. Not having a team ready to play in a hostile environment against your bitter rival, who is AWFUL on a goo day...i just don't understand.

The biggest thing I see wrong, and the second thing I want to point out, is something that another poster made mention of earlier. I applaud CAG for taking control of a program that seemed to have some discipline problems, and setting them straight. I don't know what he did, though, but he has killed any personality in our team. I remember watching in the days of Tony Mitchell and JG, and we were exciting. We shot the ball, we drove to the rim, we played with an attitude. You had to watch out because any missed basket my end up with TM or JG posterizing someone. We weren't afraid to let it rip from down town, we played for loose and free...plus we had killer defense. We hounded people. I remember one season (not sure which one) where in our 32 games we out rebounded our opponents in like 22 of them, and scored more points in the paint in like 28 of them! We were physical and fun! Where has that gone? No one will shoot (aside from Releford0 unless they are so ungodly wide open that they're afraid they'd be taken out for not shooting. Aside from Obasohan, I see no one with that edge or attitude. We are physical still, but in all the wrong ways it seems. i just don't get it. We have continued to get worse, while having more (on paper) talent on campus.

The third things i will say, that I do feel is correct, is that we need a big man. Not just any big man either, but someone with a chip on his shoulder. Someone who takes it personal if you drive on him, gets mad if you take a rebound, and wants to bury you int he post. We need that kind of guy. We COULD be better without one, but i think we need that kind of guy to be successful.

I don't know if CAG will get another year or not, though I tend to think he will. At this point I could care less if he does, though, because I just don't think he is the future now. We need someone to come in and inject some energy in the program. Someone who will make the guys want to play basketball, and have fun doing it. People keep suggesting Bruce Pearl, and though he comes with baggage, we need someone LIKE him. Someone who not only enjoys coaching, but enjoys the kids...someone who kids don't just play for because they're scared not to...but someone they play for because they LOVE to. When we find THAT, i think we'll be the team people around here want us to be..

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Grant will get one more year- it does not matter how the season ends. The BOT will not pay him the current buyout. But I am confident that next year will be his last. Simply does not matter that he is bringing in 5 new highly rated players. He will have the same group of assistants (that seem to contribute nothing in the area of player development or offensive philosophy) and the team will underachieve. Grant has already lost a large part of the fan base and I am not sure he can get that back. I have followed Bama basketball since the early 70's and this is the worst team fundamentally I have ever seen. I am not going to sugar-coat the situation here. Any one that does that is being highly delusional. Most Bama fans are rational about what level of success they expect- but going to the tourney at least twice in a five year period is not unrealistic. The Auburn game last night was beyond ridiculous- and I know think that it would not have mattered if Lacey and Pollard were still on the team- would they be any better this year? ( Jacobs, Cooper and Randolph are actually worse now than during their freshman season. I love the Tide and will continue to support- but the higher ups are going to have to make a move when the finances allow it.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I've been a Bama basketball supporter for the better part of 30 years, from the C.M. Newton days through the present. I would attend on average 5-6 games a year for the past 20 years. I got so disgusted by the team's (and Grant's) performance last year, I made a decision not to attend any this year. I like Grant personally, but players never seem to develop and there never seems to be any kind of offensive concept.

I didn't even watch or listen the game last night. I knew how it was going to turn out before the ball was even tipped.

And it takes a lot for a basketball lover for me to give up watching it or attending games.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I have no idea what AD Bill Battle is thinking in regards to next year and CAG. I REALLY wanted CAG to do well and WAS excited with his hire. I think all or most of us were thinking Bama basketball is back. I have read every single post on this thread and not one person believes we are making progress. Bama can and should be competitive in basketball and going to the tournament should be the norm, not the exception. I still want CAG to get things turned around but I am afraid time is running short, very short.

whatsamatta U

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Athens, AL
The question or comment has come up if CAG yanks a player from the game for a missed shot. To some extent this is true. However, it is based on who CAG wants shooting the ball at the time, the play being run, and the time left on the shot clock. If somebody (not going to name any names) starts 'HOT' he may get the green light as long as the open shot is there. If that same player starts out 'COLD' he can be pretty much handcuffed the whole game. Basically, if you're not the 'GUY' at that point in time and you miss a couple of shots, you COULD be sitting in the bench for a while.
In several games, there is no rhythm on offense due to some of the players not taking open shots. Even the best shooters have to take enough shots to get in a rhythm. I've always been told that if a certain number of passes have been made and you've got a good open shot-take it. That is not the case with our offense IMO.

cglaze4411

Sep 6, 2011
One post said that the buyout only drops by 1 million every year after 2014. If that's true, does that extra 1 mil make that much of a difference. Would that be enough to give him another year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I don't think CAG runs "plays", but rather an "offense" that creates open shots. However, I think it is evident that there are players that have a "Green light" and those that don't.

The question or comment has come up if CAG yanks a player from the game for a missed shot. To some extent this is true. However, it is based on who CAG wants shooting the ball at the time, the play being run, and the time left on the shot clock. If somebody (not going to name any names) starts 'HOT' he may get the green light as long as the open shot is there. If that same player starts out 'COLD' he can be pretty much handcuffed the whole game. Basically, if you're not the 'GUY' at that point in time and you miss a couple of shots, you COULD be sitting in the bench for a while.
In several games, there is no rhythm on offense due to some of the players not taking open shots. Even the best shooters have to take enough shots to get in a rhythm. I've always been told that if a certain number of passes have been made and you've got a good open shot-take it. That is not the case with our offense IMO.

whatsamatta U

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Athens, AL
I agree with you on that concept. He does run a 'system' to create open shots and a few 'set' plays. The problem that occurs too often - if the set play doesn't create the shot, nobody knows what to do with the ball. More so last year in that the system or plays were run and didn't work, then an out of the 'blue' shot with 1 or 2 seconds on the shot clock and hardly no prayer of going in.
Cooper and others looked horrible in some games because they took the last second shot and were completely out of position.
Thanks for your response, I value your insight and B'ball knowledge.

I don't think CAG runs "plays", but rather an "offense" that creates open shots. However, I think it is evident that there are players that have a "Green light" and those that don't.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
After tonight, this is clearly going to be discussed.

I'll start the discussion with this tweet from Jim Dunaway....

@jimdunaway "Embarrassing""Looks the same each year""Doesn't show improvement"-Alabama fans. CM Newton says Grant not on hot seat with anyone who counts
So fans don't "count"?

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
A few have mentioned attendance issues. They are having a "white out" game against Tennessee tomorrow.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/013114aac.html

Could they at least have made it a "crimson out"?
Read where..."The first 10,000 fans in attendance will receive a free "White Out" t-shirt." I have been to all but one game this year and while attendance has been announced at 10,000+ at many games, it hasnt been close. LSU was the best crowd and maybe 8,000 actually were in attendance. I think there will be some white out t-shirts leftover!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I had to come back after a cool off period to be able to accurately state what I wanted to.

Firstly, I have been a huge CAG supporter. The last couple of years when people have called for his time at the Capstone to be over, I have laughed, scoffed, argued, and made fun of some of the reasons. I can no longer say I can support the direction of our program. There were little things building up throughout the season that culminate in that. The early season losses, and close losses to good teams...I could handle. Losing out to the UF's or Mizzou's in our conference...i could handle. Not being a tournament team this year, after having one of the top 10 schedules in the nation...I can handle. Getting to the point where the WORST TEAM IN THE SEC OWNS YOU, oh and happens to be your rival...not acceptable. Losing to teams you are supposed to...ya know, that happens most times. Not having a team ready to play in a hostile environment against your bitter rival, who is AWFUL on a goo day...i just don't understand.
Spot on, Matt.

The biggest thing I see wrong, and the second thing I want to point out, is something that another poster made mention of earlier. I applaud CAG for taking control of a program that seemed to have some discipline problems, and setting them straight. I don't know what he did, though, but he has killed any personality in our team. I remember watching in the days of Tony Mitchell and JG, and we were exciting. We shot the ball, we drove to the rim, we played with an attitude. You had to watch out because any missed basket my end up with TM or JG posterizing someone. We weren't afraid to let it rip from down town, we played for loose and free...plus we had killer defense. We hounded people. I remember one season (not sure which one) where in our 32 games we out rebounded our opponents in like 22 of them, and scored more points in the paint in like 28 of them! We were physical and fun! Where has that gone? No one will shoot (aside from Releford0 unless they are so ungodly wide open that they're afraid they'd be taken out for not shooting. Aside from Obasohan, I see no one with that edge or attitude. We are physical still, but in all the wrong ways it seems. i just don't get it. We have continued to get worse, while having more (on paper) talent on campus.
This is one thing that baffles me. We don't press as much as we did earlier in Grant's tenure. I remember being in Coleman for the NIT in 2012. The fans were going crazy when Tony would go airborne for a huge dunk. We don't see that at all anymore.

I don't know if CAG will get another year or not, though I tend to think he will. At this point I could care less if he does, though, because I just don't think he is the future now. We need someone to come in and inject some energy in the program. Someone who will make the guys want to play basketball, and have fun doing it. People keep suggesting Bruce Pearl, and though he comes with baggage, we need someone LIKE him. Someone who not only enjoys coaching, but enjoys the kids...someone who kids don't just play for because they're scared not to...but someone they play for because they LOVE to. When we find THAT, i think we'll be the team people around here want us to be..
If Battle and the BOT won't do anything this year based on the buyout, they're running the risk of losing money next season because of no attendance. A name that brings flare will bring the attendance and help pay for the buyout. Now, is Bruce Pearl that guy? Not sure. You're right, though. A coach like him is what Alabama needs.

FAN4EVR

1st Team
Nov 22, 2006
Calera, Al
Can some one please explain the show cause with Bruce Pearl. It's my understanding that he has 1 year of show cause left. If that's the case can we still pull the trigger on him this year or does that cause too much baggage? Are there any other big names or not so big names out there right now worth taking a look at?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well, as most know, I've been a staunch supporter of Coach Grant, and have a lot of respect for him as a person. But even I'll admit that when it gets to the point where the only team in the SEC that Auburn can beat is us, well, at the very least, there needs to be very critical analysis concerning the future of the basket ball program.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think he is done with penalty in the Fall. There are some names out there that are good. Steve Prohm (Long term Contract), Buzz Williams, David Arseneault (Personal Favorite and his offense (The System) would fill Coleman every night!), Rob Jeter, Scott Sutton, Tim Cluess, Mark Few (Like him also!) and a few others. IMO, we will not get a "Major".

To me it really doesn't matter. All coaches pretty much know the same X's and O's, when to call timeouts, etc.... It's more in teaching, developing, and the willingness to change your "philosophy" when your philosophy isn't working. (Flexibility).

Can some one please explain the show cause with Bruce Pearl. It's my understanding that he has 1 year of show cause left. If that's the case can we still pull the trigger on him this year or does that cause too much baggage? Are there any other big names or not so big names out there right now worth taking a look at?

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I know Ricky Tarrant is transferring. He's from my hometown and played pretty well. I'm saddened to say I don't recall who the other transfer is. Is he a post player ? Without some front court depth, next year will be ugly as well. That to me is the danger of giving him another year. How will the roster be any better next year ? We are asking a lot of 3 freshmen to assume major roles. Tarrant can sorta assume TR's spot, but how do we get any rebounds ?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
But is he going to be the only one that's allowed to play basketball during a game? Kind of hard to beat 5 with 1.

I know Ricky Tarrant is transferring. He's from my hometown and played pretty well. I'm saddened to say I don't recall who the other transfer is. Is he a post player ? Without some front court depth, next year will be ugly as well. That to me is the danger of giving him another year. How will the roster be any better next year ? We are asking a lot of 3 freshmen to assume major roles. Tarrant can sorta assume TR's spot, but how do we get any rebounds ?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.