The Future of Alabama Basketball and Anthony Grant

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
After tonight, this is clearly going to be discussed.

I'll start the discussion with this tweet from Jim Dunaway....

@jimdunaway "Embarrassing""Looks the same each year""Doesn't show improvement"-Alabama fans. CM Newton says Grant not on hot seat with anyone who counts

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't been so "disinterested" in Bama basketball in a long time.

The way I feel right now, if I've got the option of watching Bama basketball or Sister Wives on T.V. I'm a little torn. :cool:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think he'll get another year from the administration, especially with a good recruiting class coming in. But being honest, I haven't seen anything to make me believe the new talent will be enough.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I haven't been so "disinterested" in Bama basketball in a long time.

The way I feel right now, if I've got the option of watching Bama basketball or Sister Wives on T.V. I'm a little torn. :cool:
This is so accurate. It's not an interesting product to watch, even when ignoring wins and losses.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
It hurts. I've always been so proud of our basketball program. Watching us try to play is painful. That said, I'll still follow the team even if I don't like it.

Tide-one-on

All-SEC
Aug 14, 2003
Pensacola, FL 32514
I agree with Bamamoon, I have just lost interest in Alabama Basketball. I used to drive up from Pensacola for at least one game a year. I have not been to a basketball game in TTown in about 5 years now. They are very tough to watch. I hate it the way it is right now! They have had some great players thru the years and teams, but that seems so long ago now.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I really don't think there is a future to speak about. Unfortunately things just aren't going forward.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Part of the problem is the "brand" of basketball we are playing. If "defense" and "ball control" is equaling wins everybody is on Grants side.

But our defense isn't as good as it ought to be and our offense is as boring as watching paint dry.

I understand why people are wanting change.

Granted, it's not my call, but the lack of fan support will eventually be noticed.

A friend called recently to offer me tickets to a game. I couldn't go, but even if I could have, I'm not sure I drive from B'ham to T-town to even watch.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I started out by watching every game, and following the game thread. At the end of the non-conference schedule I had decided I would watch the games and post after, because we seemed to do better when I wasn't on TF. After tonight, I am giving up on basketball this year, and won't watch another game. Close loses can be expected when you play such a tough schedule. I was disappointed with the team/record thus far, but tonight completely ends it for me. I just don't know what to say anymore. I have been a huge CAG supporter, and said he shouldn't be on the hot seat this year...but now, I just don't know.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Part of the problem is the "brand" of basketball we are playing. If "defense" and "ball control" is equaling wins everybody is on Grants side.

But our defense isn't as good as it ought to be and our offense is as boring as watching paint dry.

I understand why people are wanting change.

Granted, it's not my call, but the lack of fan support will eventually be noticed.

A friend called recently to offer me tickets to a game. I couldn't go, but even if I could have, I'm not sure I drive from B'ham to T-town to even watch.
True. I think the offense is the most disappointing for me.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
After tonight, this is clearly going to be discussed.

I'll start the discussion with this tweet from Jim Dunaway....

@jimdunaway "Embarrassing""Looks the same each year""Doesn't show improvement"-Alabama fans. CM Newton says Grant not on hot seat with anyone who counts
I wonder if he'll be on the hot seat with anyone that counts after this one?

How about if we win 5 or fewer conference games this season?

If Coleman Coliseum continues its woeful attendance numbers? I haven't seen the gym as empty as it has been this season in a long, long time. And I'm afraid after the terrible performance against Auburn, less people will show up now.

Look, at the end of the day, I love Alabama. Every sport. Always have, always will. But I've got two eyes and know a little bit about basketball. This program isn't improving. It's as simple as that. I don't care what next year's recruiting class "looks" like. We've had above average recruiting classes since this regime arrived. We're not getting results and that's what it comes down to. We're not losing, we're being embarrassed now. Our head coach makes $2 million/year and we're not getting that kind of money's worth results or production. And frankly, I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Bama is 9-11. Ending up 13-19 or something along those lines is possible.

I went to every home game when I was in school. I was a huge fan. Now ? I just don't care . I keep up with games and all, but I wasn't surprised about the loss tonight and honestly it doesn't even sting. The last game that stung wasCreighton. That was ages ago.

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
Not trying to be confrontational or negative here. But, for the first time in 15 years I am considering not renewing my BB season tickets. The only way I can voice my displeasure is by not renewing.

Signed...Very frustrated!

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
tubby smith available? i've been a bama basketball fan since the late 80's. i remember the sweet 16 runs and SEC championship tourney games. and cant remember ever missing a game either by tv or at least radio. this season, ive probably missed over half.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I wonder if he'll be on the hot seat with anyone that counts after this one?

How about if we win 5 or fewer conference games this season?

If Coleman Coliseum continues its woeful attendance numbers? I haven't seen the gym as empty as it has been this season in a long, long time. And I'm afraid after the terrible performance against Auburn, less people will show up now.

Look, at the end of the day, I love Alabama. Every sport. Always have, always will. But I've got two eyes and know a little bit about basketball. This program isn't improving. It's as simple as that. I don't care what next year's recruiting class "looks" like. We've had above average recruiting classes since this regime arrived. We're not getting results and that's what it comes down to. We're not losing, we're being embarrassed now. Our head coach makes $2 million/year and we're not getting that kind of money's worth results or production. And frankly, I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.
If we only win 4 or 5 SEC games and Grant is not on the hot seat, Bill Battle is a fool. CAG. has proven he is in way over his head trying to coach in a major conference. He is a mid major coach at best. No disrespect to CAG, he is just not cut out to be the coach of a major conference. I'd rather the powers that be decide we are going to pay a top, proven coach $4MM per year and build a state of the art arena or, decide we are going to be a bottom feeder, save the $$ for other sports and accept a coach who will lead us to a .500 season most years. Load up the non-conference schedule with teams like Florida A&M and Alabama State so you go 11-2 or better each year and need 3 or 4 conference wins to hit that .500 mark.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
If we only win 4 or 5 SEC games and Grant is not on the hot seat, Bill Battle is a fool. CAG. has proven he is in way over his head trying to coach in a major conference. He is a mid major coach at best. No disrespect to CAG, he is just not cut out to be the coach of a major conference. I'd rather the powers that be decide we are going to pay a top, proven coach $4MM per year and build a state of the art arena or, decide we are going to be a bottom feeder, save the $$ for other sports and accept a coach who will lead us to a .500 season most years. Load up the non-conference schedule with teams like Florida A&M and Alabama State so you go 11-2 or better each year and need 3 or 4 conference wins to hit that .500 mark.
Yes. I totally agree. I was referring to C.M. Newton's response to Jim Dunaway. He said that Grant wasn't on the hot seat with anybody that counts. Which, given Coach Newton's basketball acumen, is surprising. Any sane person looking at the rest of our schedule and given the recent results, could see "W"s at this point are going to be very difficult to come by.
If that does happen, our attendance numbers will go down. With very low people going to the games and Coleman essentially becoming a ghost town. I think we, as fans, count. Ultimately, we count a lot.

Last edited:

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
How could he possibly NOT be on the hot seat? We are no better now than we were when he got here. In fact, I think that we have regressed. This is an awful AU team that just destroyed us. He's had plenty of time to develop talent and get us into the tourney each year. Yet, we have only graced it once (and that lasted about 2 hours). It's time to go another direction and I'm shocked that Newton thinks he's safe. What has Grant done that would make the PTB comfortable with this team? CAG was underachieving before this season even started......

tide13

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2002
Birmingham
Tubby Smith has a very low on talent Texas Tech team at 10-10, 2-5. Just read an article where the writer thought that in itself was a miracle. Sadly, though the relationship with CM Newton is still good, he's probably in his last coaching job.

I wanted Grant when we got him. His home record is fine, on the road we've been abysmal. No excuse for what happened tonight, but then again it's happened before. I'm asking myself if there is less talent there than I think or is it strictly a coaching issue. I know this, you shouldn't be having your worst season in your fifth year...

The crowds are bad (how do you not sell out against a 6th ranked Florida team?); the play is inconsistent (at best); yet I've felt we could compete against just about any team we've played (Wichita State and Duke included).

I have a hard time understanding it. It does seem the record player is skipping back to the same song. I've gone to several games this year because my 5 year old son loves it and we've pretty much gotten free tickets to every game we've attended (a point in itself...). Maybe I'm going because I love my son, who knows, but I'm desperate for us to get better. We may have a good class coming in next year, but our best player graduates and the majority of the contributors will go the next year. I don't see it getting better.

It really comes down to who you truly have a chance to bring in as an upgrade, and possibly, how scared are you of Bruce Pearl...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.