The Future of Alabama Basketball and Anthony Grant

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
He's had 5 YEARS. There hasn't been any type of change in his offensive philosophy over that entire period. I just don't see how anyone can say this team is going from the cellar this year to a competitive team next season.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
This is turning into a repetitive posting match on both sides of the issue. Please come up with something new.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We went to NIT last year, brought back most of the players, added Key, Hale and Taylor, and are much, much worse.
We lost Steele, Gueye, Lacey and Pollard. I'm not defending Grant, but that statement isn't true at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'm not advocating we hire him now, but Bucky McMillan shows what good coaching can do - Mountain Brook just won back to back 6A titles. They lost 9 seniors from last year's team. They are fun to watch, and I live in a rival suburb.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
You are joking, right? The fact the Mountain Brook has won 2 state titles in a row is more a testament to how bad the high school baskeball is in this state.
I'm not advocating we hire him now, but Bucky McMillan shows what good coaching can do - Mountain Brook just won back to back 6A titles. They lost 9 seniors from last year's team. They are fun to watch, and I live in a rival suburb.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The Gus Bus says "hi."

Wonder if he's concerned about losing his Arkansas retirement fund from his H.S. days?

Just messing with you guys, but I'm ready for a change and anything sounds better than what's happening right now!!!

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
No, I'm not joking that I think he's done a tremendous job with that program. The first sentence in my post said I wasn't advocating hiring him now.. I was trying to point out how good coaching can affect a team as there is no way MB has the most talented roster. They did however best every good basketball team in the state and I think he's a heckuva coach. He puts an entertaining team on the floor, which I miss seeing in Coleman.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
The announcers at the UA/AU game commented several times that 40% of D1 basketball players transfer. Guess we ain't doing so bad in that respect.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is a systemic problem. The top wants to come in for a one-and-done to the NBA. I think this has crept in the mindset of a lot players in the tiers below those one-and-dones. Kids don't want to develop. They want to be handed the keys to the car the day they come onto campus. As soon as things go sideways, they want to bail for greener grass.

College basketball is just really broken. As much as people clamored when it was clear that guys like Lebron and Dwight Howard in the future would have to play in college, I think it has weakened the overall product. I think the one-and-done system has created a transient feel to college basketball programs. Sure one-and-dones existed before the rule, but I think far more mid-tier prospects came in with the desire to put in 3-4 years of work and earn things over their college career.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
And this was my biggest problem with CMG (Besides the inbounding problems) and now CAG. There is no way that we should have the record that we have! No development.
What I meant by most is we had more returning players than left. My overall point is we shouldn't have gone from NIT to losing record.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The NBA Rule is 19 years old or 1 year at a University.

QUOTE=marcusroby;2363262]Do I understand the rule correctly? That players don't actually have to attend college but have to be out of high school at least one year.[/QUOTE]

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
If CAG survives and is the coach again next year, what changes should he make?

1) Per our discussion in the UA/AU game threat, let the kids play. Don't shackle them to play a scheme they aren't capable of or were recruited to play.

2) Go get the best big man that is available in the JUCO ranks. We've got to have someone who can get a few rebounds and score a few points.

3) Hire someone that can coach the inside players and dedicate that person to polishing Jimmy Taylor. The kid has a lot of raw potential but unless he gets better coaching he will never get much better than he is now.

4) Make an extra effort to relate better with the players. I don't know this for a fact but it appears to me that CAG is out of touch with his players.

However, none of these things addresses some of the other issues that we've seen with CAG such as odd substitution patterns, unwillingness to call a timeout to stop an opponents run, lack of emotion at key times, lack of public relation skills, etc.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
My biggest disappointment is the recruiting from JUCO, especially in Florida. There is a ton of talent in the JUCO ranks we should be tapping.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.