The Future of Alabama Basketball and Anthony Grant

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Maybe. But the date on the byline is Feb. 24, 2014, and the quote is attributed to his speech at the B'ham Tip-off Club the same day. That would be bad journalism if it is a quote from two years ago, to say the least.
Maybe, seeing that he's 84, C.M. read his same speech from two years ago. And can we be sure he didn't just substitute Grant's name for Hobbs' or Gottfraud's and actually read the same speech he gave 20 and 10 years ago?...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Maybe, seeing that he's 84, C.M. read his same speech from two years ago. And can we be sure he didn't just substitute Grant's name for Hobbs' or Gottfraud's and actually read the same speech he gave 20 and 10 years ago?...
Maybe he didn't remember giving the same speech earlier. Can't blame him though.
Heck, when (if) I reach 84 I'll be lucky if I remember what I had for dinner the night before.

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
It will be interesting to see what team shows up at Ole Miss. Sure, we have been mostly good at home...but, absolutely miserable on the road. I really believe Grant is at a crossroads...I truly think he has a shot at lasting another year if the team is competitive throughout the rest pf the year and beats AU, Ark at home, and looks respectable against KY and in the SEC tournament. I hate to be negative...but, if I was a gambling man I would bet the house on Ole Miss tomorrow night.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It will be interesting to see what team shows up at Ole Miss. Sure, we have been mostly good at home...but, absolutely miserable on the road. I really believe Grant is at a crossroads...I truly think he has a shot at lasting another year if the team is competitive throughout the rest pf the year and beats AU, Ark at home, and looks respectable against KY and in the SEC tournament. I hate to be negative...but, if I was a gambling man I would bet the house on Ole Miss tomorrow night.
Danny Sheridan says that mistake most make in gambling is they bet with their heart rather than their head.

You'd be betting with your head on Ole Miss tomorrow!

I'm to the point that "if I were a betting man" I don't have the heart to bet on Bama basketball right now!!!

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Well I respect CM, but on this one he's just wrong. This program is a sinking ship. It breaks my heart to see an absolutely empty crowd on a Saturday night when nothing else is going on right now. When I was at UA the place was almost always packed out, even during the week!

Hope Bill Battle sees it differently than CM.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Danny Sheridan says that mistake most make in gambling is they bet with their heart rather than their head.

You'd be betting with your head on Ole Miss tomorrow!

I'm to the point that "if I were a betting man" I don't have the heart to bet on Bama basketball right now!!!
DS is right. I'm glad I'm not a gambling man because it would break my heart to bet against the Tide, regardless of the circumstances.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
My guess is that Bill Battle will keep him another year with some coaching changes. Hopefully he keeps Pettway. Regardless, the PTB seem to have dug their heels in at this point. A blowout loss to the boogs could change things, but I think he will get one more year.

BTW, anyone see the huge crowd for the Carolina game at Auburn. I saw a pic on AL.com Zenor"s twitter feed last night.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think it may be over for Grant. I think it definitely should be over for him.

The most damning commentary in this thread is the lack of commentary on the Ole Miss game. What it says louder than any air raid siren is that the fanbase is beyond getting upset any more. It's simply refusing to invest any more emotional capital.

I'm reminded of the loss to Mississippi State in Shula's last year. No yelling, screaming or cussing after the game. Just a deafening silence punctuated by celebratory cheers from MSU fans.

A resigned fanbase is far worse for a coach's future than an upset one.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Looking at the bright side. Levi did score 33 against Mizzou, and Hale had one of the best true freshman performances, probably in SEC history last night. I know Cooper has scoring capability if we can some how find a way to give him confidence.
Taylor definitely has potential. I believe Retin does as well.
With new comers coming in I can actually see the possibility of a brighter future for Bama basketball.
With no intended negativity at all, it may not be a bad thing that Trevor is graduating. Is he our best player? An outstanding player? Absolutely, without any question. But I think we grew to depend on him too much.
At least the others are starting to step up their games a bit since opposing teams are determined to take Trevor out of the game offensively.
That's a big positive.
I think our regression in defense is way more the new, "don't get within 18 feet of an offensive player" rule than anything.
These guys have proven they can play defense and the effort is still there. And honestly, did we really feel we would go into Oxford with nothing to play for, and them fighting to hold on to any slim NCAA hopes they have left, and expect to beat them?
Tonight wasn't horrific by any means of the imagination. Wasn't great, but wasn't that bad.
sip

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
hey guys, i'm new to the board....i actually have been keeping up with this board for quite some time just never signed up to be a member until now

here's my thoughts about grant: i just like everyone else is upset the way the season has gone but i am not like most of you and think grant should be fired. sure he is having a bad season but this is his first bad season at bama (not counting first season) and to me, most of the struggles of the team is not on him. this is my opinion but grant is the coach, he can prepare the team and strategize for beating the opponent but he CANNOT put the ball in the basket. the confidence or lack there of for some of the players is not on grant. he can't shoot for them. MOST of the shots rodney and levi get are open looks. they just don't go in. that is not grants fault.

bottom line: grant is about as good as it gets as far as ethics and character in a coach. he is a solid recruiter in my opinion. alot of people in this thread say the program has regressed. not so, after gottfried, and grants first season, we had 3 back to back 20 win seasons (no one ever talks about this), sure we only got to the tournament one time but we have always been right there. alot of people on this board talk about players leaving and grant not being able to manage roster. well look at florida who has had similar turnover if not worse (no one is blaming billy donovan or saying he's a bad coach and can't manage their roster) i am not for firing grant. who will we get that will instantly turn us into a national contender??? it takes time to build a program back up. no coach ever has instant success like that unless you're calipari...oh yeah, not to mention that if grant gets fired, we likely lose our top recruits since they signed with alabama because of grant

sorry didn't mean to make my 1st post so long :smile:

Last edited:

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Looking at the bright side. Levi did score 33 against Mizzou, and Hale had one of the best true freshman performances, probably in SEC history last night. I know Cooper has scoring capability if we can some how find a way to give him confidence.
Taylor definitely has potential. I believe Retin does as well.
With new comers coming in I can actually see the possibility of a brighter future for Bama basketball.
With no intended negativity at all, it may not be a bad thing that Trevor is graduating. Is he our best player? An outstanding player? Absolutely, without any question. But I think we grew to depend on him too much.
At least the others are starting to step up their games a bit since opposing teams are determined to take Trevor out of the game offensively.
That's a big positive.
I think our regression in defense is way more the new, "don't get within 18 feet of an offensive player" rule than anything.
These guys have proven they can play defense and the effort is still there. And honestly, did we really feel we would go into Oxford with nothing to play for, and them fighting to hold on to any slim NCAA hopes they have left, and expect to beat them?
Tonight wasn't horrific by any means of the imagination. Wasn't great, but wasn't that bad.
sip
While I agree with some of what you say about some of the potential of our players. Your last sentence says something about how far our basketball program has fallen. You say it wasn't that bad, but we got beat by double digits to a team that was only .500 in a conference with only 2 legit teams. I'm sorry, but I have higher expectations for our basketball program than that!

Nothing to play for is a terrible excuse. Anytime you step out on the court you have something to play for it's called pride!

I just don't see us getting any better under CAG. Time for a change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Good first post! Welcome.

hey guys, i'm new to the board....i actually have been keeping up with this board for quite some time just never signed up to be a member until now

here's my thoughts about grant: i just like everyone else is upset the way the season has gone but i am not like most of you and think grant should be fired. sure he is having a bad season but this is his first bad season at bama (not counting first season) and to me, most of the struggles of the team is not on him. this is my opinion but grant is the coach, he can prepare the team and strategize for beating the opponent but he CANNOT put the ball in the basket. the confidence or lack there of for some of the players is not on grant. he can't shoot for them. MOST of the shots rodney and levi get are open looks. they just don't go in. that is not grants fault.

bottom line: grant is about as good as it gets as far as ethics and character in a coach. he is a solid recruiter in my opinion. alot of people in this thread say the program has regressed. not so, after gottfried, and grants first season, we had 3 back to back 20 win seasons (no one ever talks about this), sure we only got to the tournament one time but we have always been right there. alot of people on this board talk about players leaving and grant not being able to manage roster. well look at florida who has had similar turnover if not worse (no one is blaming billy donovan or saying he's a bad coach and can't manage their roster) i am not for firing grant. who will we get that will instantly turn us into a national contender??? it takes time to build a program back up. no coach ever has instant success like that unless you're calipari

sorry didn't mean to make my 1st post so long :smile:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I honestly have mixed feelings about wishing Grant gone or not. The players have still played hard even though the season is shot. I am just hoping we take all the frustration out on the barn this weekend and beat the tar out of them. I am still hearing about the whipping they gave us in their gym, and of course they are the best thing since sliced bread since they skimmed by us in football. I am for one sick and tired of hearing about it, as I work with plenty of there uneducated fans. As for Grant if we do let him go who out there can we realistically get that is better. On the other hand we have plenty of up and coming talent so maybe a change is in order. That way we do not make a change halfway through their career and have to teach them a new sysytem.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
While I agree with some of what you say about some of the potential of our players. Your last sentence says something about how far our basketball program has fallen. You say it wasn't that bad, but we got beat by double digits to a team that was only .500 in a conference with only 2 legit teams. I'm sorry, but I have higher expectations for our basketball program than that!

Nothing to play for is a terrible excuse. Anytime you step out on the court you have something to play for it's called pride!

I just don't see us getting any better under CAG. Time for a change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree that pride is something to play for, without question---But when you have two teams, both playing for pride, and one has no post season possibilities, while the other is fighting their hearts out, because they still do---AND they have home court advantage, and a full house of cheering supporters, reckon who has has a better chance to win the game?
Don't get me wrong. I know exactly what you're saying, but, at this point, unfortunately, pride has nothing to do with our record. These kids have the pride, they give the effort, they just haven't come together as a team, for whatever reason.
I'll close with this--I'm in a quandary as to what we should do. Sometimes it's so obvious. But in the case of coach Grant, I'm still not even 50% one way or the other. It's an enigma unlike any I've ever seen since I never missed a home game as a student from 74-78. This is why Battle gets paid the big bucks. Good luck to him.
sip

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
some people talk about the arena or the fan base not being energized with grant there but i don't agree with that at all....maybe not this season but this video i found shows how the fans will support and have supported grant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQtBLYVHy8k

all of the new recruits have shown alot of enthusiasm for alabama basketball and what the program can be under grant. i think the fans will be excited for next season especially with homegrown talent playing in alabama jerseys like ricky tarrant, justin coleman, and riley norris

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
some people talk about the arena or the fan base not being energized with grant there but i don't agree with that at all....maybe not this season but this video i found shows how the fans will support and have supported grant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQtBLYVHy8k

all of the new recruits have shown alot of enthusiasm for alabama basketball and what the program can be under grant. i think the fans will be excited for next season especially with homegrown talent playing in alabama jerseys like ricky tarrant, justin coleman, and riley norris
I could pull up the 2005 Florida game where Bryant-Denny was rockin' under Shula, but that doesn't change the fact that CMS was in over his head which I believe CAG is as well.

I honestly don't think CAG wants to be here anymore either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I could pull up the 2005 Florida game where Bryant-Denny was rockin' under Shula, but that doesn't change the fact that CMS was in over his head which I believe CAG is as well.

I honestly don't think CAG wants to be here anymore either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I definitely don't agree with that. I think he's working his butt off to make us better. He's in a period of having to overcome adversity. Unbelievable adversity. The question is, will we give him the chance to do that.
At this point, I'm beginning to hope so. I know--I posted a couple of weeks ago that he should be gone--but now I'm not so sure.
I just see some positives.
Not up to me, we'll see.
sip

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Do we have a shooter other than Releford than opponents respect beyond 15 feet?.
To clarify my prior comment: I learned coaching youth basketball that everybody and anybody is a shooter - they all love to shoot; you, me, Levi, Cooper are shooters... but none in that group are true scorers. Releford is a scorer, Hale is an up and coming scorer. We need more scorers and fewer shooters. I think the last true shooter/scorer we had was Earnest Shelton, but my memory could be a little fuzzy on that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.