The Future of Alabama Basketball and Anthony Grant

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sip, I've said similar things. However, that doesn't excuse how our offense consists of guys just driving to the basket to toss up a random shot rather than shoot the open jumper. A big man on the inside won't help there. Taking those shots will help the big men Bama has now. By not taking those shots, the defense pretty much puts a guy in the lane and a guy on each block to defend Bama. That's all they have to do.
We do indeed pass up way too many open shots. Almost like we're afraid to shoot.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
College Basketball to me is just not entertaining anymore. I think the one and done NBA pipeline is the biggest factor. That said, Name ONE player that improved his game significantly in any area under CMG or CAG? I can't. Not one. Players get better under CNS but I can't say the same with our coaches. ALL of the BIG TIME college bball coaches have players that improve under them even if it is in one year like Calipari. Until we can find that kind of coach the wheels will continue to spin in the mud.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Looking back, it appears that if we do finish around 13-18, it will be our worst record since the 71-72 season.
Tex, speaking of C.M., 71-72 was his coming-out party. I suspect you're thinking of 70-71.

Hobbs had his swoon. Wimp had '88 after McKey left, then all the way back to early C.M.

Last edited:

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
This is the "another year"
Indeed.

With Releford leaving, the only bright spots on our team are S. Hale and R. Obasohan.

There are going to be way too many holes to fill for Grant to be able to turn things around so much to warrant keeping him around, IMO.

The only reason I believe our administration would keep him around assuming a catastrophic ending to this season is - as many others have suggested - is because of the astronomical buyout.

I'll continue to cheer for the Tide and watch on TV when they're on. However, I won't be making the 1+ hour trip to Tuscaloosa in the middle of the week for a 6 or 7 o'clock tip to watch the product that is being put on the floor. I suspect thousands of others feel exactly as I do. We, as fans, go to these games to be entertained and cheer for our team. The entertainment factor is 0%.

Tennessee is going to give us all we want. If we lose this game tomorrow night, I'm afraid the season is going to end up absolutely horrible. One thing we've been able to bank on is holding serve at home. Now, we're looking average at home and absolutely uncompetitive on the road. Not a good combination - especially considering the remaining schedule.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
BET et al ... there's a common refrain on this board. "Wish the football guys would just leave." But you're raising points that longtime basketball followers -- and Grant supporters -- can no longer ignore.

Despite modestly successful recruiting and a highly thought of and well-paid coach, our basketball program is sinking. Part of that is due to the giant shadow of Nick Saban, though he's a big supporter of all sports. Part of it is evolutionary -- the immense and growing popularity of football and the profile of the NCAA basketball tournament -- has turned pre-March college basketball into a series of exhibitions.

But part of it is self-inflicted. Many of the longtime basketball guys on this board have defended CAG for three years now. But LD, RTR91, MTA and now me appear to have crossed the Rubicon.

I'm waiting for Cecil's take because he traditionally is the harbinger of change. Regardless, this team needs blowing up. I don't think the current staff can do that. The players, even the ones who stay, are not improving. What may be most troubling is Coach Grant's apparent lack of interest in promotion or change.

This year, he truly looks over his head. Last night, I think a lot of us turned a page.

Bit of a confession here on my end, or an indictment of Grant, depending on how you want to look at it: I've probably watched a combined 45 game minutes of Alabama basketball this season, and off-hand probably couldn't name the starting five. Frankly, I don't think regular season college basketball is a particularly entertaining product these days even when played by the better programs, and honestly what I've seen out of Alabama is simply unwatchable.

Call me a bandwagon fan if you want, but honestly there are just better ways to spend time. Honestly, I spent last night re-watching some of The Wire and reading some M&A academic literature, and frankly I don't regret not spending 2.5 hours watching ESPN3 on the iPad.

Will add two points here, which you can take for what you want:

(1) Re: decreased fan interest: On-court struggles aside, I do think that the continued rise of college football is crowding out college basketball at Alabama, and by that I don't necessarily only mean our on-field success in the fall (though that is certainly a part of it). Recruiting and spring practice have always been pretty big deals, of course, but the way both have taken off so much in the past decade, those two just now consume so much time and energy that would have otherwise gone to basketball. January through mid-March used to generate a lot of attention in the 'Bama basketball program, but now football recruiting dominates the discussion until early February, and by the end of February all focus is turning spring practice. The ten week window basketball used to have has now been reduced to about three or four weeks.

(2) Don't have the slightest idea as to whether or not Grant will be fired at the end of the year, but frankly it's a moot point unless he really finds a way to improve overall team performance. Either he's fired in eight weeks or in thirteen months, does it really matter either way at the end of the day?

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
According to Chris Walsh of Bamaonline, Grant's buyout is 5 million dollars. It will drop one million dollars each year after 2014.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Regarding our players' reluctance to shoot open jumpers: this is largely due to them not having the proverbial "green light" to do so. They get yanked for missing open jumpers. That's a big part of the problem.

Grant is just brutally conservative on offense, and I honestly think his strategic and developmental knowledge is simply limited on that side of the court.

It's the same recurring theme we've seen for the last four seasons....guys generally hustle and play good defense, and there's zero tolerance for crap off the court. These are good things. But our offensive strategy and development are so lacking that it offsets the good things by an increasingly wide margin.

I think the right guy could put a very competitive team on the court at Alabama. The resources are there, and the fan support could be built up with signs of progress. And I'm increasingly convinced that Grant just isn't that guy.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
According to Chris Walsh of Bamaonline, Grant's buyout is 5 million dollars. It will drop one million dollars each year after 2014.
So in April, Bama would have to pay him $4 million plus the staff's buyout?

Regarding our players' reluctance to shoot open jumpers: this is largely due to them not having the proverbial "green light" to do so. They get yanked for missing open jumpers. That's a big part of the problem.

Grant is just brutally conservative on offense, and I honestly think his strategic and developmental knowledge is simply limited on that side of the court.

It's the same recurring theme we've seen for the last four seasons....guys generally hustle and play good defense, and there's zero tolerance for crap off the court. These are good things. But our offensive strategy and development are so lacking that it offsets the good things by an increasingly wide margin.

I think the right guy could put a very competitive team on the court at Alabama. The resources are there, and the fan support could be built up with signs of progress. And I'm increasingly convinced that Grant just isn't that guy.
Does anyone know for a fact guys get yanked for missing shots? If so, Rodney Cooper would get yanked every other possession. Instead, he just doesn't shoot for 5 minutes after a miss.

Something I have not figured out under Grant - he was known for his press defense. The longer he's been at Alabama, the less the press defense has been used. When was the last time, Alabama ran the press like it did in 2010 or 2011?

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
as I struggled to maintain interest in yet another game, I realized something. the teams never seem to elevate their game (offensively). it is always the defense making the opponent play down to our level. if can get the opponent into a sloppy game, then the struggles on offense will be covered up and there may be a "w." off the top of my head, I can't think of a single game where the offense played lights out against a competitive opponent in grant's tenure. over the span of a month or season, sure. it happens. but in the years he's been here to not have that? it's tough to watch.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
To be honest I am not sure about Grant even as a defensive coach after watching UF have a 100 open 3s and never really adjusting. I started to see it two years ago and I said last year that something is wrong and we had a lot of players leave. Now it is showing on the court big time. He is just not a head coach or at least not right now.

Another thing I find concerning is that it seems like the other coaches from other sports all get along and speak to the teams on campus but Grant is never included or talked about like they are and doesn't seem to be friendly with them.

If we lose another game like this then I would just have to say let him go and let the assistants finish out the year and start looking for the next guy because Grant just flat out looks lost and can't adjust.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I noticed something when Florida's team played us last week. You look at every one of them and their arms look like they spend a ton of time hitting the weights. I can't say that for Alabama. We look scrawny in comparison. We look like all of our football oponents compared to our football players.

CAG was supposed to bring a 40 minutes of hell press to T-town. It has been anything, but.. Well I guess it could be 40 minutes of hell watching us play.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
A few have mentioned attendance issues. They are having a "white out" game against Tennessee tomorrow.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/013114aac.html

Could they at least have made it a "crimson out"?
Just think about this for a moment. As much as has been discussed about other teams (mostly football teams) having such games against the Tide, for one ridiculous reason or another. I've consistently recalled and sometimes repeated the words of former coach Gene Stallings when describing such events. "When any team has to resort to gimmicks off the field, it's generally because they have lots of problems on the field."
And now we have an ALABAMA team dong a "white out". Speaks volumes to me about the progress, or lack thereof, exhibited by our basketball team.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Post of the thread. Agree completely. I'm a huge CM Newton fan and I like Coach Grant. Maybe he just isn't the "good fit" that everyone thought when coming in to the program.

Whether CM Newton was just trying to be nice/politically correct when asked the question or not, I believe Dunaway used a comment that isn't really recent. I've seen it throughout this season; I know CM didn't say that last night. I doubt many of Grant's supporters felt great after that game.

I've supported him and wanted him to do well. Heck, I was even defending him during the game some last night. I couldn't do it after about the first 5 minutes of the second half. Some of you know Hunter Johnson from other message boards, Bama games, or Twitter. He is one of Grant's biggest supporters. His tweets last night indicated one thing - he's getting fed up.

Grant has a pretty dang good home record at Alabama. His road record isn't so great. Bama's style of play doesn't work well with the new rules in the college game. Looking back, it's not worked well with the "old" rules, either. In basketball, home teams tend to get the calls. That should explain why Bama's defense performs about 10 times better than it does on the road. I'm not putting blame on the officials, either. That's just the way of basketball, and we've never adapted when on the road.

Last week, someone asked about Algie Key's jump shot, and I commented how his highlight tape primarily consisted of dunks and/or drives to the goal. Rodney passed up a few jump shots last night to only get to the goal and take a wild shot. Levi did the same. Retin did the same. Trevor didn't do it as much but did it, too. Is that what Grant wants? It goes against his preferred offensive philosophy of working inside-out. Guys drive and kick the ball out to a shooter with an open jump shot for that guy to only repeat the drive to the goal.

Some of you saw this long ago. I always see the best in someone and hope for the best in every situation (unless, I completely despise you). Therefore, I've supported Anthony Grant and defended him. I've got a my hand hanging onto the ship only because I want to support Alabama. My hand is quickly slipping, though. The Grant Ship is emptying faster with every game no matter the outcome.

I even sent my brother a text message last night thanking him for never agreeing to getting a mini-package of tickets with me for this season because we would have wasted our money.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.