2015 QB Jarrett Stidham Updates (De-Commits from Texas Tech)

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
Re: Bama offers 2014 QB Jarrett Stidham

The guy has a HUGE list of offers from all the big boys. Should be an interesting one to watch. I wonder how hard Coach Strong will be after him.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Stidham is one of the handful of kids we are turning to in the 2015 class after Ricky Town decided to stay at home and commit to USC. We'll see how it goes, but it is certain that he is going to draw a great deal of interest from around the country, and when it's all said and done he'll have his pick of the top programs. Physically, he's fairly similar to what McCarron was when he came out of St. Paul's, though arguably a tad more impressive (bit more bulk, athleticism, and arm strength).

Really too early to make a legitimate guess at this juncture as to where he might end up, though he has shown some interest in 'Bama before and attended some camps in Tuscaloosa. Not sure what will happen when Texas and Texas A&M put on a big push, as I'm sure they will at some point.

Finally, Stephenville High School is one that is pretty well connected to CFB. They are a traditional power program in central Texas, and that is where Art Briles was at for many years and where he really made his name winning several state championships. Several name quarterbacks have came out of there as well, most notably in recent years Jevan Snead (all the jokes, I know) and Kevin Kolb. Some of the old timers will remember that is where Branndon Stewart came out of before he signed with Tennessee way back when.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He's listed as a dual-threat QB. He's clearly not an Alabama quarterback then. :wink:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

I watched the first two minutes and turned it off.......

Because I didn't have to watch the rest to know he's a freakin' beast!!!! WOW!!! I would looooooooove to get this kid!!!

yeah, the kid is legit. Seemed excited about the offer.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

#2 rated dual threat QB, have I missed a major change in our offensive philosophy?
"Dual threat" is a misleading term as it applies to Stidham, so don't let that misnomer fool you. The kid ran for roughly 900 yards on 143 carries as a junior in 3A high school football. You're basically talking something like 6.0 yards per pop while running a bit of zone read and spread option (on field turf, and on a talented team).

In other words, he moves pretty well, but he's not going to be a dynamic dual threat in big-time BCS football. He's going to be a pocket guy who can occasionally make some plays with his feet when forced to, and the fact that some of the self-proclaiming recruiting "experts" have dubbed him as a dual-threat quarterback speak more to their own incompetence than anything else.

Again, Stidham moves pretty well, but this isn't another Manziel, Newton, or Marshall. Even a James Franklin comparison is probably pushing the envelope a bit. If he's going to succeed at the next level, it will have to be as a pocket passer.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

#2 rated dual threat QB, have I missed a major change in our offensive philosophy?
Don't know, but the young man appears to be able to sit in the pocket and gun it just fine if that is all you want.

Edit: Big easy said it a lot better.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

That kid is going to end up at Oregon, A&M, or maybe Clemson. He would fit right into vacated spots left by Manziel,Mariotta, or Boyd.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

I think he's perfectly capable of thriving in a dual-threat situation, but it looks like he has a strong arm, a quick release, and probably has the arm talent to succeed in a pro set. Impressive film to these untrained eyes.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

It's odd that a 5* qb from Texas would have Kentucky amongst his early favorites. I would say that UK doesn't even have a dogs chance in Hades of picking him up, but it is odd. I wonder what the connection is.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

My guess is that the Stoops last name has some value out there.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010

obviously, the thought of playing immediately is appealing to him. surely,there will be no competition there.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

According to SBNation.com Stidham decommitted from Texas Tech last night. I know we recruited him but would we give him a spot? Not likely at this point but somebody is going to get a good player. Oregon, Baylor and TCU were mentioned as possibilities.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

According to SBNation.com Stidham decommitted from Texas Tech last night. I know we recruited him but would we give him a spot? Not likely at this point but somebody is going to get a good player. Oregon, Baylor and TCU were mentioned as possibilities.
With Barnett on board and solid, I'd say no.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.