Things that make us all crappy people

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
No, I'm not saying everyone here is a crappy person. I mean the human race in general tends to have problems due to a few specific things that are hardwired into us:

1. Confirmation Bias - Bias towards "facts" that support our pre-existing bias, and cause us to disregard facts that go against it (see: Every political speaking point, ever). - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

2. Fundamental Attribution Error - We're hardwired to have a double standard. Obesity is a good example - how often have you told a person how "easy" it is to not be fat? Now apply the same logic to:
Smoking
Depression
Being single
Financial level

Does it work? Do you tell people that they're not millionaires because they're lazy? That not having a significant other is purely their own fault because they must be antisocial?

http://216.22.10.76/wiki/The_Fundamental_Attribution_Error

3. The Trust Gap - Everyone is out to screw you over. The problem is that once you assume the other party is lying, it takes monumental effort to get past that. You will likely not hear a single word or acknowledge your own fallacies and failings.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/03/30/the-trust-gap-why-people-are-so-cynical/

4. Neglect of Probability - Seat belts are a great example. I knew someone who would argue, vehemently, that they didn't want to get "trapped" in a wrecked car. They were certain that was the most likely scenario in a car crash and a seat belt (in actuality, VERY remote scenario). People like to point to the lottery, but that's a minor quibble compared to things, like, the war on terror. In 2011, we reached 1.3 trillion spent on total deaths since 1975 of 14,000. That's $90 million per death. In comparison, industrial accidents kill the equivalent of 2 9/11 attacks per year, and cancer kills the equivalent 200 9/11 attacks per year. But instead we worry about being killed by terrorists.

Another is gun control (and no, I don't think that LAWS are needed for this issues, so don't use it as an excuse, please). If you live in a low crime area, and have a family, then you are much more likely for your gun to be involved in an accident than to fend off an attacker. This is primarily due to improperly securing your firearm, but the numbers still stand - if you live in a low crime area, purchasing a gun for self defense is mostly a waste of money. That's just pure statistics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neglect_of_probability

5. Argumentative theory of Reasoning - I'm right, and you're wrong, and it doesn't matter what the facts say. That's the basis of that. Keep in mind, the ancestors most likely to pass on their genes were the ones who WON arguments, which is now what we're hardwired to do. Being right is less important than WINNING. How often has someone sat there and argued with you about something when every fact in the known universe showed them to be wrong? Politics, of course, is the #1 culprit. It can happen in the work place very easily, though. I work in the IT industry myself, and while you might think it's pretty cut and dry, it really isn't. People can come up with a hundred reasons why to do or not do something; it is dreadfully irrelevant if those reasons have a basis in reality.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/15/arts/people-argue-just-to-win-scholars-assert.html?_r=5&

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
We ALL have a disease! It's called Sin. Agnostics and atheists don't want to admit it. They just wallow in it. It's because we have either our Adam or Eve suit on.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
We ALL have a disease! It's called Sin. Agnostics and atheists don't want to admit it. They just wallow in it. It's because we have either our Adam or Eve suit on.
That sounds more like an excuse to get a free pass to crappy behavior.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Funny you bring this up.

Two nights ago I talked to my father-in-law and he again bashed Reagan for destroying the American farmer.

The more things change.......the more they don't.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Would you mind explaining?
I mentioned this in another thread.

My father-in-law hates Ronald Reagan. Ask him why and it's because Reagan "screwed the farmers." Ask for specifics and he'll say that Reagan cut off the middle class farmers subsidies that they relied upon and they went bankrupt and lost their farms.

Amazingly enough, Reagan somehow managed to do this without running the spending through Congress - this was the only time in the history of the USA anyone ever managed to do this.

What REALLY happened is he saw some crap on TV in the 1980s. Reagan and his budget director, David Stockman, DID TRY to reduce subsidies because they had become a bunch of money dished out to farmers (since the Depression) for NOT planting stuff. (It was income to provide a living for those whose crops were not being bought). Some farmers did commit suicide when they lost everything they had - it happens in everything (banks, law, everywhere).

But he has his facts and don't you dare challenge them. What he is claiming happened never happened. But by shouting at the top of his lungs and over-compensating, he wins the point.

After all - how can you prove something DID NOT happen to someone who is not interested in having his assumptions challenged?

(Ironically, he is a big Carter fan. What hurt the farmers more than anything was the grain embargo. Why? Because Russia simply imported grain from other countries - it didn't work and the only ones hurt were the farmers who sold the USSR grain).

But don't tell him that.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
No, I'm not saying everyone here is a crappy person. I mean the human race in general tends to have problems due to a few specific things that are hardwired into us:

1. Confirmation Bias - Bias towards "facts" that support our pre-existing bias, and cause us to disregard facts that go against it (see: Every political speaking point, ever). - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

2. Fundamental Attribution Error - We're hardwired to have a double standard. Obesity is a good example - how often have you told a person how "easy" it is to not be fat? Now apply the same logic to:
Smoking
Depression
Being single
Financial level

Does it work? Do you tell people that they're not millionaires because they're lazy? That not having a significant other is purely their own fault because they must be antisocial?

http://216.22.10.76/wiki/The_Fundamental_Attribution_Error

3. The Trust Gap - Everyone is out to screw you over. The problem is that once you assume the other party is lying, it takes monumental effort to get past that. You will likely not hear a single word or acknowledge your own fallacies and failings.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/03/30/the-trust-gap-why-people-are-so-cynical/

4. Neglect of Probability - Seat belts are a great example. I knew someone who would argue, vehemently, that they didn't want to get "trapped" in a wrecked car. They were certain that was the most likely scenario in a car crash and a seat belt (in actuality, VERY remote scenario). People like to point to the lottery, but that's a minor quibble compared to things, like, the war on terror. In 2011, we reached 1.3 trillion spent on total deaths since 1975 of 14,000. That's $90 million per death. In comparison, industrial accidents kill the equivalent of 2 9/11 attacks per year, and cancer kills the equivalent 200 9/11 attacks per year. But instead we worry about being killed by terrorists.

Another is gun control (and no, I don't think that LAWS are needed for this issues, so don't use it as an excuse, please). If you live in a low crime area, and have a family, then you are much more likely for your gun to be involved in an accident than to fend off an attacker. This is primarily due to improperly securing your firearm, but the numbers still stand - if you live in a low crime area, purchasing a gun for self defense is mostly a waste of money. That's just pure statistics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neglect_of_probability

5. Argumentative theory of Reasoning - I'm right, and you're wrong, and it doesn't matter what the facts say. That's the basis of that. Keep in mind, the ancestors most likely to pass on their genes were the ones who WON arguments, which is now what we're hardwired to do. Being right is less important than WINNING. How often has someone sat there and argued with you about something when every fact in the known universe showed them to be wrong? Politics, of course, is the #1 culprit. It can happen in the work place very easily, though. I work in the IT industry myself, and while you might think it's pretty cut and dry, it really isn't. People can come up with a hundred reasons why to do or not do something; it is dreadfully irrelevant if those reasons have a basis in reality.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/15/arts/people-argue-just-to-win-scholars-assert.html?_r=5&
Let me give you another one: people using "soft language" or misleading words. Here are just a few examples:

1) I'm for marriage equality.

What the person REALLY means: I'm for gay marriage.

I chuckle at this one. I guess it makes folks feel better about it, but unless you are advocating polygamy or a bisexual being able to have a spouse of BOTH sexes, you are NOT for marriage equality (you'll notice I didn't even bring up the animals or the kids, BOTH of which have advocates). What you ARE for is gay marriage.

2) I believe in the right of a woman to choose.

What the person REALLY means: I believe in the right to an abortion.

Note carefully - I am NOT saying such a person FAVORS abortion. But I'm again amused by the rhetoric. I once took an OB/GYN course in med school by an ** officer who got really snotty and said we would use the words "terminate pregnancy." He turned out - no surprise here - to be one of the most slimiest and devious individuals I ever had the misfortune to deal with. Why should I be surprised? He made himself feel better by calling things with "softer" words.

Simply grow a pair - come right out and SAY what you're for.

3) Our God-given rights

What the person REALLY means - I'm appealing to an invisible higher power that trumps whatever you're advocating

Lots of folks use this one but Christians (my own kinsmen) amuse me the most. The concept of "rights" is not even hinted at in that inerrant Bible. Demands, commands, obedience, grace, and faith? Sure, they're all there. But rights? Nope.

How many Christians ever actually follow the admonition AGAINST going to court with other Christians (1 Cor 6)? Very few.

Rights are a myth that are ultimately determined by lawyers and judges at their own discretion.

And here's another specific example some may recall:

4) Mark Furhman planted the bloody glove

What Johnnie Cochran was REALLY saying: Mark Furhman and the thirteen officers that arrived before him FRAMED O.J. Simpson for murder

Note that Cochran never said those words. But that is exactly what he meant.

Fact is that most folks will cloak whatever will make whatever they're advocating with a PC term that makes them feel better about themselves.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.