AJ's take on the team losses last year

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
No offense to AJ, but if this was going on in the locker room, he should have been calling them out then instead of now when it's too late to change anything. However, I personally don't think he should be throwing the freshmen under the bus, and I don't think that they were entirely responsible. That type of attitude often times starts at the top, and at times this year, particularly in the sugar bowl, it looked like the entire team had a sense of entitlement. I noticed a bunch of upper classmen that seemed to lack passion as well.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I love AJ to death and have enjoyed watching him play the past three seasons, but this blame game he is doing reminds me of back when I played basketball in high school 35 years ago and the end of my junior year season. I was the only junior starter on the team and there were only 2 juniors period. I got called into the coaches office a couple days after we had lost the area championship game, and was told that I was overheard saying on the bus ride home I was glad the season was over. Which was a lie and he wouldn't tell me who told him that, especially since I was the starting center, 6'6" and towered over the rest of the players! ;)

I know AJ and the senior players were hurt by not getting to play for the National championship, but to point at freshman who never got on the field or who played very little in the 2 losses doesn't jive with me. Sure wasn't a freshman qb that had 3 turnovers against Oklahoma. And if the field goal kicker has even an average game against Auburn, they most certainly would have gotten a shot at FSU.

There is always disgruntled freshmen who think they should be playing every season and many transfer on account of it. Phillip Sims was certainly disgruntled but that didn't keep Bama from winning it all in '11 or '12.

I wish AJ had just kept his mouth shut about the freshmen 4 and 5 stars and the recruiting experts, and just told it like it truly was. The ball and luck just didn't bounce their way this year like it had the past 2. Nothing wrong with telling the truth and no need in calling out players that didn't even count for much in the 2 losses.
I have to agree. Not to bash AJ but as I recall he had some "I want to play early" issues of his own and he's admitted to being a bit of a prima donna early on.

Also, no freshman no matter the # of stars that didn't play this year can be blamed for anything.

wileybb22

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2009
mobile al
I think A.J. needs to close his mouth and start working out for the NFL.
I was hoping I was not the only one feeling that way. I live in Mobile and have several friends disappointed in his comments lately. He's been on a few to many talk shows and not coming across very well with his opinions towards people still in the program.

I hope someone close to him lets him know how most people feel about it. I'm just disappointed is all.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I was hoping I was not the only one feeling that way. I live in Mobile and have several friends disappointed in his comments lately. He's been on a few to many talk shows and not coming across very well with his opinions towards people still in the program.

I hope someone close to him lets him know how most people feel about it. I'm just disappointed is all.
I can understand his comments were probably ill advised even though provoked by interviewers. But maybe his goal is to .... off some of the players still at Bama to the extent where they bond and promise not to let this happen again. I think AJ, CJ, and Norwood had a talk about it. That doesn't mean kids still buy in. Maybe AJ cares so much about Bama that he is still trying to get that entitlement out of the players.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can understand his comments were probably ill advised even though provoked by interviewers. But maybe his goal is to .... off some of the players still at Bama to the extent where they bond and promise not to let this happen again. I think AJ, CJ, and Norwood had a talk about it. That doesn't mean kids still buy in. Maybe AJ cares so much about Bama that he is still trying to get that entitlement out of the players.
That's a new slant and maybe an insightful one...

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Maybe, but they already have the master motivator at head coach. I am sure the coaches preach it to them as much as possible, but since the players are together more with each other maybe they hear it better from their peers. Doing it a month after the last game doesn't seem to be much help for next years team if you ask me.

I am sure AJ didn't mean to come off sounding as it did and he really didn't expose anything new for most in tuned Bama fans, but still not very flattering on his part. Of course we could just take him as meaning it for the incoming 4 and 5 star recruits that will sign Wednesday to be prepared to go to work.

Either way it really is a good place to be when you question the whole organization after an 11-2 season. Shows they are being as relentless as possible searching for perfection. The last time this happened Bama responded with a repeat, so maybe this year will start the three peat we all were so hoping for! ;)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Maybe A. J. is right!

In an article at al.com today, they show that on Seattle's 61 man roster, only 11 were rated higher than 3*. On the Broncos, there were 13 on its 60+ roster rated higher than 3*.

The prima donnas need to wake up after that Super Bowl. The 2*'s and 3*'s are the ones who really have something to prove. Those 5*'s want the job given to them. They can end up being a CANCER on any team. They need to stop looking in the mirror at how GREAT they are and get focused on being the BEST they can be.

Now, you need some Hosses but you need MOTIVATED Hosses! Not someone who's doesn't think they have to work for it.

I do feel that Alabama had much better players than the Barn this year. However, the Barn had some "want to" guys who were motivated to prove themselves and embarrassingly they did. The Barn's players were HUNGRY. The Bama players must have had steak, baked potatoes and that thunder from down under for desert prior to that game.

Hopefully some of those 4*'s and 5*'s will be HUNGRY next November to PROVE themselves. Don't be looking in the mirror! Be the best you can be and as a 5* or 4*, don't settle for mediocrity!

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
AJ will be for me and I'm sure most here an all time stand out in Crimson Tide lore. But youth and 4* and 5* attitudes coming in are more than coach-able and have been since I've been around Alabama football. There are and will be guys who don't get it. One time after a big play by a very young Linnie Patrick, coach Bryant lamented on his TV show, to the effect, if I could ever reach that kid. Well, he didn't. And plenty more will be going through T-Town that you will not reach, regardless of * level. Part of great coaching is to know when to hold them and when to fold them. Seems, coach Saban might be more inclined to give a player with a grievous error another shot rather than keeping around one with an ongoing attitude issue.

Lastly, I recall AJ talking about his attitude when he got here. How right off the start, Saban put him with the scout guys and after performing terribly, goes into coach Saban's office and tells him his dissatisfaction with his teammates and being put in that situation. Coach Saban tells him, and I'm paraphrasing, he wanted to see his leadership qualities in adversity and he failed. Sounded like some entitlement issues there. Of all players, AJ should have easily thought, look how I turned out?
I think early in AJs career he was moved down one day to run the scout team. AJ was upset and went to CNS afterward about it, and was told that the practice that day was not to measure AJ's play, but it was designed to measure how h handled adversity, and AJ had failed.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Maybe A. J. is right!

In an article at al.com today, they show that on Seattle's 61 man roster, only 11 were rated higher than 3*. On the Broncos, there were 13 on its 60+ roster rated higher than 3*.

The prima donnas need to wake up after that Super Bowl. The 2*'s and 3*'s are the ones who really have something to prove. Those 5*'s want the job given to them. They can end up being a CANCER on any team. They need to stop looking in the mirror at how GREAT they are and get focused on being the BEST they can be.

Now, you need some Hosses but you need MOTIVATED Hosses! Not someone who's doesn't think they have to work for it.

I do feel that Alabama had much better players than the Barn this year. However, the Barn had some "want to" guys who were motivated to prove themselves and embarrassingly they did. The Barn's players were HUNGRY. The Bama players must have had steak, baked potatoes and that thunder from down under for desert prior to that game.

Hopefully some of those 4*'s and 5*'s will be HUNGRY next November to PROVE themselves. Don't be looking in the mirror! Be the best you can be and as a 5* or 4*, don't settle for mediocrity!

Frankly, I would feel a lot better about the whole thing if I knew AJ had given these keen observations right after the luke-warm effort against Miss St. Something tells me if he had, perhaps the need to vent now wouldn't be so overwhelming. Short of having a 'way back machine,' I suggest we all learn to live with it, including our captain.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
With so many 4 and 5 star players coming in,... I can see them wanting to play. I understand that and I'm sure the coaches recruiting them let them know there is a chance they may sit. But is too many highly recruited players a bad thing? Just asking,...
I think so and I'm a star gazer.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Maybe A. J. is right!

Considering that each year there are only about 25-30 5 star recruits ranked, and a few hundred 4 stars, compared to many thousands of 3 stars each year, that is not surprising. ;)

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
AJ is probably right about some attitudes....there are just better places to address problems than on the radio.

ALSO---The ship certainly is not sinking....basically missed field goals and turnovers cost us the last two games. (and AJ had fair amount to do with some of those interceptions)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Talent and attitude are both pretty important to success in life. I believe that AJ saw something real. In spite of that, Alabama should have played for the title. Even with the apparent attitude issues, it took a miracle for Auburn to win that game. Why? Because of the enormous TALENT on the team. So AJ may be right, but he is also wrong. You can win with lesser talent if everything bounces your way. It is much easier to win with superior talent, even if a few players remain unsatisfied with their role on the team.

Saban is now totally focused on getting the team attitude corrected. You are about to sign one of the best classes EVER. It is still a very good time to be an Alabama fan.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
With so many 4 and 5 star players coming in,... I can see them wanting to play. I understand that and I'm sure the coaches recruiting them let them know there is a chance they may sit. But is too many highly recruited players a bad thing? Just asking,...
Lets ask Coach Saban, cause he's out trying to recruit more of them right now.

Seriously, the problems not having talented players, its having talented players who buy into being part of the team. That can happen with anyone, regardless of the number of stars.

I'll take the talent everyday of the week....it wins games. Look at teams past performance relative to their recruiting class ranking; talent does make a difference.

we'll be fine....our past four seasons record and winning 3 National titles since 2009 doesnt give me a great sense of doom. Sorry.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'll say this - I think the whole "3 stars naturally work harder than 5 stars" is ridiculous.

I do agree that there are some who come in and struggle to adjust to not being the best player on the field in every game they play, but that's really the team's responsibility to get that individual's mind right. Certain individuals will always be troublemakers with regards to this and they will transfer out or get over it, but if it's a problem across the board with younger guys, that really points to a problem with the team's leadership, IMO.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I'll say this - I think the whole "3 stars naturally work harder than 5 stars" is ridiculous.

I do agree that there are some who come in and struggle to adjust to not being the best player on the field in every game they play, but that's really the team's responsibility to get that individual's mind right. Certain individuals will always be troublemakers with regards to this and they will transfer out or get over it, but if it's a problem across the board with younger guys, that really points to a problem with the team's leadership, IMO.
no doubt it's ridiculous. try telling Rueben Foster and Ashwan Robinson that 5 stars dont work hard. They are both amongst the hardest working players on the team.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
no doubt it's ridiculous. try telling Rueben Foster and Ashwan Robinson that 5 stars dont work hard. They are both amongst the hardest working players on the team.
Despite the fact that they did not get the PT they were hoping for. (But both will in the future.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.