Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Big A Any concerns about positions in 2014 class?

All the panic over any one player really makes me laugh.
    I am a lil concerned thought, that this class has no TE, or HB/FB types in it.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any concerns about positions in 2014 class?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderz7 View Post
    Sure thought Luatua`s brother would be coming aboard (?).

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Thunder, I'd be interested in your definition of panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    Sure thought Luatua`s brother would be coming aboard (?).

BamaNation First Team CoachJeff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thunderz7 View Post
    We're young and talented at those positions now, so as long as we fill those next year we'll be fine. Plus Bo Scarborough can do either in a pinch.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

With Humphrey and Brown on board, it's hard for me to say that I've got any real outright concerns with this class. I'd like another CB for depth purposes, but that's largely nitpicking. Obviously I'd like to add a high-end pass rusher, but frankly I'm not sure we are ever going to really have a top-flight pass rush at UA until we change defensive schemes, so I'm not really sure "concern" is even the right word for that.

As far as a couple of other positions go:

TE: We didn't get an edge thumper in this class, and it seems fairly obvious to me that we will be going away from this mold in the years ahead. I think we will probably all have to just get used to the idea that, moving forward, more often than not a traditional tight end like Michael Williams is now going to be replaced with a third receiver, or more of receiving tight end like an O.J. Howard. We aren't going back to the days of Walker and McCall as the bookends to the offensive line. The two tight end base package is giving way to a base that features three and four wide receivers on the field.

RB: You know the old phrase about quarterbacks getting all of the attention, hence they get all of the credit and blame? Kind of the same thing applies, in a roundabout way, to tailbacks, especially at a place like Alabama. They get all of the attention and concern, despite how easy it is to find quality tailbacks on the recruiting trail and despite how that position as a whole has been de-emphasized in the modern game and largely made a function of the personnel placed around him. My point is that there shouldn't be any real concern that we didn't get a tailback this season. We're pretty loaded at the position now, tailbacks can play as true freshmen, we won't have any issue grabbing a couple of top tailbacks next year if we need them, and for better or worse the success (or failure) of our tailbacks will ultimately depend mainly on the performance of the offensive line and the effectiveness of the passing game.
    Last edited by BigEasyTider; January 30th, 2014 at 10:45 AM.

News|BB|FB|Rec Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

With Brandon Greene moving there last season, we are ok at TE. We will address it with two in 2015, IMO.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post

TE: We didn't get an edge thumper in this class, and it seems fairly obvious to me that we will be going away from this mold in the years ahead. I think we will probably all have to just get used to the idea that, moving forward, more often than not a traditional tight end like Michael Williams is now going to be replaced with a third receiver, or more of receiving tight end like an O.J. Howard. We aren't going back to the days of Walker and McCall as the bookends to the offensive line. The two tight end base package is giving way to a base that features three and four wide receivers on the field.

Saddens me to believe you are correct about that. Even if we had have got Tyler Luatua, he wouldn't have fit that mold either. I love throwing to the tight end, but I love pounding people more. Maybe O.J. will grow into it.

BamaNation First Team CrimsonPride25's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont see how there can be any concerns over this class. With Humphrey and Brown on board we have sured up our "shakiest" position. Top to bottom this can be viewed as one of the greatest classes ever IMO. The OL talent is off the charts, great QB coming in, stout DL class. This class makes our trenches better as well as provides talent at pretty much every position.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post
    With Brandon Greene moving there last season, we are ok at TE. We will address it with two in 2015, IMO.
    yep, I think we only really went after Blazevich in the '14 class. There are a few that think highly of us in '15 that I hope we can get.

With the addition of MH and. Assuming Williams qualifies, we covered our biggest needs with db's (2 five star CB and 2 top 100 safeties) and OL.

Im not concerned about rb because we already have Flowers committed for '15 and likely to add another. Plus, DH and at least one of the other freshmen will be back in '15. The loss of Whitley means '15 our biggest needs are QB, LB, and te.

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post
    Perhaps, but we are going to have to find two who can play very early if we go that route, because Vogler is gone after 2014 and no one knows if Faciane can (1) be a real contributor and/or (2) stay out of the doghouse.

As for Brandon Greene, I haven't the slightest as to what to make of him. People thought very highly of him as an OT, and then suddenly he's a tight end (even if largely if name only) and slimmed down a good 25-30 pounds. I was kind of hoping he would end up back at OT, but the huge OL class we've signed this year tells that won't be the case. FWIW, I think he's fine in the run game, but I just wonder if he can ever develop into a respectable enough receiver to be a viable every-down player, and not just a glorified sixth OL.

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mittman View Post
    Maybe O.J. will grow into it.
    That's never going to happen. And if we ever start using Howard properly (and perhaps even if we don't), he'll be in the NFL in two years.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't even begin to imagine Greene as a viable option as a receiver. His contribution will probably be just what it was this year, unless a tackle gets hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    Perhaps, but we are going to have to find two who can play very early if we go that route, because Vogler is gone after 2014 and no one knows if Faciane can (1) be a real contributor and/or (2) stay out of the doghouse.

As for Brandon Greene, I haven't the slightest as to what to make of him. People thought very highly of him as an OT, and then suddenly he's a tight end (even if largely if name only) and slimmed down a good 25-30 pounds. I was kind of hoping he would end up back at OT, but the huge OL class we've signed this year tells that won't be the case. FWIW, I think he's fine in the run game, but I just wonder if he can ever develop into a respectable enough receiver to be a viable every-down player, and not just a glorified sixth OL.

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TideWatcher View Post
    Can't even begin to imagine Greene as a viable option as a receiver. His contribution will probably be just what it was this year, unless a tackle gets hurt.
    I can't really imagine it either, though sixteen months ago I could also have never imagined him as dropping a ton of weight and moving to TE. As I admitted above, I really don't have the slightest clue on Greene, and I'm not sure anyone else really does either.