Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    News|BB|FB|Rec Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The Final Push: Where We Stand 2/2

We currently sit at 23 commits after the decommits of McGraw and Custis. I am not including Bo in the numbers because he technically just filled one of last years spots anyway. So, we technically have 2 more spots plus 2 more back counter spots. Anything less than 4 can be given to an early enrollee for the class of 2016.

CeCe Jefferson just tweeted that he has us in his final four of Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida, and Alabama. People are split between UF and Ole Miss, but we have made him a priority sending as many coaches as we could to recruit him. Prediction: Cloudy

Daylon Charlot- most everyone believes he is back in Bama's fold, and his camp has done nothing to discredit that. Prediciton: Bama

aTm believes they have done enough to give Kendall Sheffield something to think about, but no one on Bama's side believes that. The family said the decision to go to Bama had been made 3 months before his announcement. Prediction: stays with Bama

Minkah Fitzpatrick has long been rumored to be flirting with FSU, but sources at his high school say it is Bama. Prediction: stays with Bama

Drew Richmond did not make the trip to Tuscaloosa after being bombarded by OM coaches to not make the trip. But, they did let him go to UT....just goes to show how much they are afraid of us. Prediction: OM

Isaiah Prince- crazy story that may end up right back where it started....lots of sources saying Maryland made the push this weekend to keep him home. Prediction: Maryland

Godwin is staying with UGA

Prince Tega will go well past NSD. Just visited LSU, Auburn up next. He may visit Bama on February 12. Prediction: cloudy

KJ Hill's recruitment got exciting after Arky's OC left, and went from a Bama lean to an OSU lean. Prediciton: OSU

Lawrence Cager did get the green light, but he thinks it is too late to switch on his Miami pledge. Parents prefer him there, too. Prediciton: Miami

CNS is always good for a surprise, and this is the silly season....so it may not be as 'blah' as the above sounds....

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Re: The Final Push: Where We Stand 2/2

If we keep everybody we're supposed to keep, plus Charlot and maybe one of the others, "blah" will get me to spring practice right nicely.

I think it's silly to get too worked up about individual players. Remember Tyler Love? People thought he might be a #1 NFL draft pick. He never started a game at Bama.

Overall class depth is what matters. Never worry about just one guy.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    I think it's silly to get too worked up about individual players. Remember Tyler Love? People thought he might be a #1 NFL draft pick. He never started a game at Bama.

Unless he's Julio or Trent or Cam Rob.

I know what you mean, but it is amazing how much impact one key recruit can have. What if Amari Cooper had not been at Bama this year?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Unless he's Julio or Trent or Cam Rob.

I know what you mean, but it is amazing how much impact one key recruit can have. What if Amari Cooper had not been at Bama this year?
    Yeah, but in 2012 everyone was excited about Chris Black at WR, not Amari. Amari was way down on the list of recruits people were excited about. Yeldon and Landon Collins were the guys Bama fans were pumped about.

It's rare that "the guy" lives up to expectations. Julio and Cam were about the only ones. Maybe a couple more. It's more common that the "2nd tier" guys turned out to be studs.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

FB | REC Moderator

Very nice recap of where things are at the moment. I will generally parrot what RTO has said above, and I agree with the basic takeaway of the prospects in question.

In general, with the obvious recruiting-gets-insane caveat, I tend to think we won't have any serious last-minute defections, and that the big targets will generally go elsewhere. Crazier things have happened, sure, but I do not expect Prince, Richmond, Jefferson, or Godwin in the class. I also do not think Wheatley is much a viable target for UA, despite what some people have thought. Tega could be a possibility and should be an intriguing one to watch in the next few weeks, but his academic uncertainty mixed with his leg injury and last-minute reclassification means that any decision on him is probably not going to happen until a good bit after NSD.

I do think Charlot comes back to 'Bama, and we perhaps add another target elsewhere, but that will probably be the extent of it for 'Bama. Of those still left on the board, our most likely get is K.J. Hill. Anything beyond Charlot and/or Hill, though, would come as at least a mild-to-extreme surprise, depending on the identity of the specific prospect in question.

FWIW, I'm just hoping to hang onto Fitzpatrick, Sheffield, and the rest of the committed crop, and I'll be happy. We've got a very strong group in the fold already, and if we end up with a scholarship or two to spare, we'll just hang onto them and back-count them next year with 2016 signees.
    Last edited by BigEasyTider; February 2nd, 2015 at 10:49 AM.

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Breezy on TideFans.com

"Minkah Fitzpatrick has long been rumored to be flirting with FSU, but sources at his high school say it is Bama. Prediction: stays with Bama "

RTO,

according to BOL , Fitzpatrick is expected to sign early and avoid NSD. per his HS coach, he expects Minkah to sign with Alabama.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    Very nice recap of where things are at the moment. I will generally parrot what RTO has said above, and I agree with the basic takeaway of the prospects in question.

In general, with the obvious recruiting-gets-insane caveat, I tend to think we won't have any serious last-minute defections, and that the big targets will generally go elsewhere. Crazier things have happened, sure, but I do not expect Prince, Richmond, Jefferson, or Godwin in the class. I also do not think Wheatley is much a viable target for UA, despite what some people have thought. Tega could be a possibility and should be an intriguing one to watch in the next few weeks, but his academic uncertainty mixed with his leg injury and last-minute reclassification means that any decision on him is probably not going to happen until a good bit after NSD.

I do think Charlot comes back to 'Bama, and we perhaps add another target elsewhere, but that will probably be the extent of it for 'Bama. Of those still left on the board, our most likely get is K.J. Hill. Anything beyond Charlot and/or Hill, though, would come as at least a mild-to-extreme surprise, depending on the identity of the specific prospect in question.

FWIW, I'm just hoping to hang onto Fitzpatrick, Sheffield, and the rest of the committed crop, and I'll be happy. We've got a very strong group in the fold already, and if we end up with a scholarship or two to spare, we'll just hang onto them and back-count them next year with 2016 signees.
    I forgot Wheatley....he was coming to Bama prior to Harbaugh/dad hired at UM.

FB | REC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post

Bingo. Football is the ultimate team sport, and recruiting projections are so hit or miss that it makes individual hang-wringing to be a wasted time. You pretty much have to maintain a 30,000 foot view of the entire process and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjosecrimson View Post
    according to BOL , Fitzpatrick is expected to sign early and avoid NSD. per his HS coach, he expects Minkah to sign with Alabama.
    I didn't know this was possible - other than early enrollees (January). I though NSD was their FIRST opportunity to sign.

FB | REC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CraigD View Post
    I didn't know this was possible - other than early enrollees (January). I though NSD was their FIRST opportunity to sign.
    It is, and although schools can submit before -- and hence, technically, a player can sign the LOI before NSD -- it cannot become binding until NSD, which is the first day recruits are allowed to execute binding LOIs.

So, no, Fitzpatrick can't really sign early. Nothing will, or can, be binding until 12:00 a.m. on Wednesday morning.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CraigD View Post
    Maybe he means that he will fax his signature in as early as possible on Wednesday and forgo a public announcement later in the day in front of the school.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; February 2nd, 2015 at 11:17 AM.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Maybe he means that he will fax his signature in as early as possible on Wednesday and forgo a public announcement later in the day in front of the school.
    his school is having a signing/presser in the afternoon..... he could fax in his LOI early in the day though