*** JUCO TE Ty Flournoy-Smith Signs With Alabama ***

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: ***JUCO TE Ty Flournoy-Smith commits to Bama***

I realize CNS doesn't care one bit about stars, and neither do I overall, but I'm curious: why does a guy like this not have a star rating on Rivals?

Just occasionally I'd like to be able to retort to a rival fan that we hauled in a higher rated class than 2009 if such is going to be the case.
Rivals doesn't rank JUCO players. Just look at DJ Pettway and Jarran Reed.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

nice highlight reel on rivals....
He looks like a pretty solid athlete in his JUCO film, but it's really hard to tell anything about his natural abilities as a receiver from that, given that he only caught six balls last year and nearly all of them came after not being covered. For better or worse, we are taking this one on raw size and athleticism, upside, and potential. It's not like this is a guy who went to the JUCO ranks and caught 65 calls for 900 yards.

Last edited:

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A

I thought they give them a four and three star rating respectively?!
Yes, that's exactly right. In fact, since I posted that Rivals has assigned TF-S a 2* rating. I don't care - every guy Saban offers is a 5*. Especially if he offers a guy with 2 years' eligibility, it means he's ready to come learn the system and play.

Yes, that's exactly right. In fact, since I posted that Rivals has assigned TF-S a 2* rating. I don't care - every guy Saban offers is a 5*. Especially if he offers a guy with 2 years' eligibility, it means he's ready to come learn the system and play.
True! He seems like a good blocking TE, something we missed this season.

Sent from my iPhone

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180

Interesting that we chose this one over Boston given our concerns at DB. We could have had either one, but took Flournoy-Smith, despite him only having two years of eligibility left. Given that Boston ended up at Auburn, we'll be hearing and thinking of this comparison for quite some time.
What is interesting is the 2"and 45# difference.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Interesting that we chose this one over Boston given our concerns at DB. We could have had either one, but took Flournoy-Smith, despite him only having two years of eligibility left. Given that Boston ended up at Auburn, we'll be hearing and thinking of this comparison for quite some time.
Wonder if this ^^ is a guess on your part or are if you are working from solid info. If true, agree it was an odd choice.

Maybe I'm too nervous about our secondary.

Or, maybe our coaches know more than I do. :biggrin:

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

Wonder if this ^^ is a guess on your part or are if you are working from solid info. If true, agree it was an odd choice.

Maybe I'm too nervous about our secondary.

Or, maybe our coaches know more than I do. :biggrin:
no, it's common knowledge we had an extra spot with 2 guys on the hook.....we chose F-S over Boston.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Ty is looking for a second chance. Link

“Coach Kiffin called me early on Monday and he told me that he knew for a fact that I was going to get the offer and he wanted Nick Saban to give me the news,” said Flournoy-Smith. “I called coach Smart and he said that it was one hundred percent going to happen, too. I talked to coach Saban later that night and he asked me, 'Ty are you ready to commit to not only doing great on the field, but also doing great as a man?' and I told him, 'Yes sir, I am ready to do all of that,' and we just went from there.”

Flournoy-Smith chose Alabama over Ole Miss and Louisville. The opportunity for a second chance to play football in the SEC after the previous miscues left the top-ranked JUCO tight end without words.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...
BF, they all sound good when we first get them. Let's hope in his case that our first impression is a lasting one.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
BF, they all sound good when we first get them. Let's hope in his case that our first impression is a lasting one.
I'd be curious to see how many discipline problems there are with Juco transfers who previously had discipline problems. Sometimes, a person learns that lesson hard and fast. It gives them a chance for a complete turnaround. I'm sure the Juco coaches know these kids have come there because of bad choices and hopefully try to instill some life lessons into them. I would bet that Juco kids have less issues than true juniors or seniors.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'd be curious to see how many discipline problems there are with Juco transfers who previously had discipline problems. Sometimes, a person learns that lesson hard and fast. It gives them a chance for a complete turnaround. I'm sure the Juco coaches know these kids have come there because of bad choices and hopefully try to instill some life lessons into them. I would bet that Juco kids have less issues than true juniors or seniors.
Good observation. I can't remember us ever having problems with JUCO players. Besides being more mature age-wise I think they generally come looking to prove something. It is definitely the long road to take. Any player making it to a top flight D1 school has worked hard just to earn an opportunity.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
If info is accurate, TFS isn't particularly large. Does that mean he is seen as more of a receiver? That Kiffin has more 2 TE receiving plays in mind?

How would OJH be as a wide reciever? Does he have the speed and shiftiness? If so, his height could be a reeeeally tough matchup for opposing defenses. A Mike Evans [aTm] type pain for anyone playing us?

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
If info is accurate, TFS isn't particularly large. Does that mean he is seen as more of a receiver? That Kiffin has more 2 TE receiving plays in mind?

How would OJH be as a wide reciever? Does he have the speed and shiftiness? If so, his height could be a reeeeally tough matchup for opposing defenses. A Mike Evans [aTm] type pain for anyone playing us?
It does open up some opportunities for OJ I believe. If anyone remembers Lemonde Russell, he was used as a TE and WR when Gary Hollingsworth was QB. No one could cover Lemonde because he was such a mismatch and would line up anywhere. OJ could be that guy. I see TFS as a person who could be both a good blocker and receiver. I think Vogler is a good pass catching TE too if we give him more opportunities.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.