Link: Lane Kiffin Talks About His Visit During Bowl Prep (Took Place Prior to His Hiring)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click here

The most fascinating coaching transaction in college football this offseason united two of the sport's most polarizing figures -- Alabama's Nick Saban and former USC coach Lane Kiffin.

It's a union that nearly happened in 2007, when agent Jimmy Sexton contacted Kiffin to see if he had any interest in leaving USC, where he was an assistant, to become Alabama's offensive coordinator. Kiffin listened but politely declined, and a few weeks later he took the Oakland Raiders head coaching job.

But after Crimson Tide offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier left for Michigan in January, the Kiffin-Saban alliance finally occurred.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Had to have negatively effected the Bowl preparation.

"The visit from Kiffin, which was not announced to the staff, left Alabama coaches on both sides of the ball confused as to why he was there, as little explanation was given. Some considered it Saban overreacting to losing to Auburn. Kiffin's visit didn't lead directly to Nussmeier leaving for Michigan, where he'll be among the country's highest-paid assistants. But no one on staff looked at it as a ringing endorsement."

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

"The visit from Kiffin, which was not announced to the staff, left Alabama coaches on both sides of the ball confused as to why he was there, as little explanation was given. Some considered it Saban overreacting to losing to Auburn. Kiffin's visit didn't lead directly to Nussmeier leaving for Michigan, where he'll be among the country's highest-paid assistants. But no one on staff looked at it as a ringing endorsement."

I agree. This surprised me.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Got to believe that 'Nuss' saw the hand writing on the wall.
Gunfighter rides into town, a clash with the resident gunfighter is eminent... Film at eleven...
A N D... Nuss didn't exactly set the woods on fire with an innovative game plan against Auburn, or Oklahoma.
(Not all the fault of Nuss.) I think that Complacency slipped up on us...

Kiffen reviewed our Offense, and made some recommendations that Coach Saban liked...
Coach Saban offered Kiffen one of those 'Speak for yourself Miles Standish' type moments.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Agreed. I know the visit took fans and the media by surprise. The only reason it was known was folks spotting Kiffin in the Birmingham airport.

Got to believe that 'Nuss' saw the hand writing on the wall.
Gunfighter rides into town, a clash with the resident gunfighter is eminent... Film at eleven...
A N D... Nuss didn't exactly set the woods on fire with an innovative game plan against Auburn, or Oklahoma.
(Not all the fault of Nuss.) I think that Complacency slipped up on us...

Kiffen reviewed our Offense, and made some recommendations that Coach Saban liked...
Coach Saban offered Kiffen one of those 'Speak for yourself Miles Standish' type moments.
K-I-F-F-I-N

Last edited:

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Well, they nailed this prediction didn't they?
Top five uncommitted recruits

A look at five of the nation's top uncommitted 2014 recruits expected to announce their decisions on Signing Day.

Rashaan Evans, OLB, Auburn, Ala.: Auburn High has the nation's top linebacker for the second straight year, but this big hitter should stay close to home, unlike Reuben Foster, a surprising flip to Alabama just before Signing Day last year. Evans is enthralled by Tigers offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee's deft pitch of being an dynamic difference-maker right away.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Kiffin is well-known for being an extremely hard-working coach (like Saban and Bellichek). Despite whatever you think of him as a head coach, he's a very good OC. I think his hiring only will make us better on offense. There's no way that Kiffin being there for practice affected us in any way for the bowl game against Oklahoma. They were simply better than us that night. At any rate, I am very much looking forward to seeing what our offense can do next season!

Last edited:

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
was that a real article implying he'd make an impact on offense?
It is from the article that RTR91 linked in his opening. I just find it most amusing that for two years in a row Saban has been able to pull, according to them, the top rated linebacker in the country from Auburn HS.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.