*** LB Rashaan Evans Signs With Alabama ***

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
One barner who seemed to have it right said they (Auburn) had Evans all the way up 'til Saban popped in the tape and started breaking down film of where he'd play in Bama's defense compared to Auburn's and that wrapped it up.
I think one of Saban's great tools in recruiting is doing just this. Of all the people in a room when a prospect sits down with recruiters, the player (not necessarily the recruiter) KNOWS what he is (and is not) capable of doing. When he is able to see a guy like himself (highly-ranked prospect) with a similar skill set to his incorporated into the scheme the school runs, it helps the prospect visualize his future role on the team.

Any school can say "we'll create a place for you that will utilize your specific skills"... but not every school can say "sit down and let's look at how we've used similar players to you in the past". In addition, I'm sure CNS also has the ability to put another set of tapes in - tapes of teams in the League - and show the prospect exactly how the development of those same skills translates into a functional piece on an NFL unit. When Saban then sits back and says, "you want to see some examples?", I imagine the prospect realizes his opportunity is right before him.

Last edited:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
This has been the only video I've seen. It starts right when he chooses us.

[video]http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/10407984/national-signing-day-rashaan-evans-chooses-alabama-crimson-tide-auburn-tigers[/video]
That was pretty much it, except he thanked the UCLA staff first, then Bama, then Auburn. He fidgeted under the table when he was pulling out the hat. I retract my previous statement about his mom--I think she may have been a little disappointed. She is an AU grad so I understand. I'm a Bama grad and my daughter wants to be a Boog. It hurts!! :tongue:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
That was pretty much it, except he thanked the UCLA staff first, then Bama, then Auburn. He fidgeted under the table when he was pulling out the hat. I retract my previous statement about his mom--I think she may have been a little disappointed. She is an AU grad so I understand. I'm a Bama grad and my daughter wants to be a Boog. It hurts!! :tongue:
Belle, to me she looked like she was relieved one part of the ordeal was over and another was about to begin.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think one of Saban's great tools in recruiting is doing just this. Of all the people in a room when a prospect sits down with recruiters, the player (not necessarily the recruiter) KNOWS what he is (and is not) capable of doing. When he is able to see a guy like himself (highly-ranked prospect) with a similar skill set to his incorporated into the scheme the school runs, it helps the prospect visualize his future role on the team.

Any school can say "we'll create a place for you that will utilize your specific skills"... but not every school can say "sit down and let's look at how we've used similar players to you in the past". In addition, I'm sure CNS also has the ability to put another set of tapes in - tapes of teams in the League - and show the prospect exactly how the development of those same skills translates into a functional piece on an NFL unit. When Saban then sits back and says, "you want to see some examples?", I imagine the prospect realizes his opportunity is right before him.
It seemed there was a significant scheme issue with Auburn. Basically the position that Evans likes to play and is natural at playing doesn't exist in Auburn's scheme. So he'd basically be playing the "Star" position which is a safety position. I can completely understand his reasoning for not choosing Auburn. You don't make a career decision like this and not really know if the system you're going into can even use you or not.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ouch. I feel for you. One of the things I think about, with a son on the way, is this. Yes I know there are many things far more important in the grand scheme, but still.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
It seemed there was a significant scheme issue with Auburn. Basically the position that Evans likes to play and is natural at playing doesn't exist in Auburn's scheme. So he'd basically be playing the "Star" position which is a safety position. I can completely understand his reasoning for not choosing Auburn. You don't make a career decision like this and not really know if the system you're going into can even use you or not.
Very good points made here.

FWIW, in terms of a potential career in the NFL, I think this one is a no-brainer, and I suspect Evans must have felt the same way to spurn Auburn. If he comes to Alabama and really stands out in the edge OLB spot as a pass rusher, as we all hope, then what are his NFL prospects? Guys like that are made first round picks every year, and players in that role are frequently among the highest paid players in the game. OTOH, if he had gone to Auburn and excelled as a hybrid rover linebacker / strong safety, what's the value there? You can certainly play in the NFL in that role -- and a ton of guys do, to be sure -- but no franchise is ever spending a high draft pick on a guy like that, nor are they giving him a high dollar contract extension.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Very good points made here.

FWIW, in terms of a potential career in the NFL, I think this one is a no-brainer, and I suspect Evans must have felt the same way to spurn Auburn. If he comes to Alabama and really stands out in the edge OLB spot as a pass rusher, as we all hope, then what are his NFL prospects? Guys like that are made first round picks every year, and players in that role are frequently among the highest paid players in the game. OTOH, if he had gone to Auburn and excelled as a hybrid rover linebacker / strong safety, what's the value there? You can certainly play in the NFL in that role -- and a ton of guys do, to be sure -- but no franchise is ever spending a high draft pick on a guy like that, nor are they giving him a high dollar contract extension.
Its like cj in this years draft. He's clearly the best linebacker and should have a great career but you don't often spend a top 10 pick on a guy that doesn't produce a lot of sacks

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Priceless, TIdeMan. Love it.
I'm just now getting to see the news. I didn't even look this morning and just assumed Evan would go to the barn. I couldn't believe it. If this group doesn't provide at least 2 NC's, something went terribly wrong. I'm just glad the barn get a small taste of what we had to endure last season.
Welcome aboard, Rashaan. You've made a wise decision. RTR! Glad your parents are respectable parents and tried to keep emotions out of the formula.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I thought it was hilarious & I imagine her reaction was the reaction to all Barners..And her coworker at the end of the video that threw in the "Roll Tide" was perfect..LOL

I'm just now getting to see the news. I didn't even look this morning and just assumed Evan would go to the barn. I couldn't believe it. If this group doesn't provide at least 2 NC's, something went terribly wrong. I'm just glad the barn get a small taste of what we had to endure last season.
Welcome aboard, Rashaan. You've made a wise decision. RTR! Glad your parents are respectable parents and tried to keep emotions out of the formula.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I was right there with you. I've been working with my Director all day and was shocked when I flipped on ESPNU at my hotel to see Evans signed with the good guys!

RTR baby...I bet ITAT was in meltdown mode today.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.