Elisha Shaw scholarship

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I'm proud that Bama stood by its offer. Does a medical scholarship count he same as a regular scholarship?

It doesn't count against the 85 and also means that he cannot play while on this scholarship. His scholly would have to be changed to a football scholly for him to play, at which point he would count towards the 85 limit. Since he didn't sign an NLI today, he won't count against this year's 25 limit either.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Now this is a 5 star recruiting story! I really hope the Mother Ship (ESPN) or some news agency picks this up. News like this needs to be reported.

Bama in Quebec

1st Team
Aug 10, 2013
Quebec city
This is one of many reasons I'm proud to be a Bama fan. This will mean a lot to this young man.
RTR.
I totally agree with you. This is why a guy like me who lives in Quebec city, Canada is a proud Bama fan. We have the classiest (I hope this is an english word) coaching staff and the classiest fans in America. That was a classy gesture by the whole organization.

RTR.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I deal with kids myself. Not all of them are good. Not all of them want to work. There have been disgruntled players in the past and Nick was fairly happy to show them the door. In life if you don't want to work you're pretty much useless. It's not about money. Even weathy people need to find someting useful to do or they just self destruct. You see that in lotto winners and hollywood people. BUT.... For the kids that want to work, be they talented or not Nick Saban cares about them and wants to help them succeed. This isn't the first time Saban has stuck by an injured kid after every one else pulled their offer. It's not all about talent. Nick Saban was not a talented college football player so he knows there are MANY ways to affect the people around you in a positive way. Who knows what Alisha Shaw can become. Most of that is up to him but Saban has just given him a HUGE leg up the ladder.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Great story. Sadly, this won't get near the publicity of the stories regarding guys being declared medically ineligible.
Rest assured that those who count when it comes to recruiting - high school coaches and players' families - will know all about it. Saban doesn't make the kind of gestures where anyone might ask, if a tree falls in the forest, and nobody's there to hear it go "Tim-BURRR," did it really happen?

Truth be told, I've thought that somebody - hey, why not Tidefans.com if rules permit it? - should sponsor a Nick Saban Sr. academic scholarship at Alabama in honor of Coach Saban's Dad's lifetime spent teaching Pop Warner players about football and other hard knocks. This scholarship could go to a high school player from anywhere in the country who didn't get a football scholarship, as nominated by his high school coach on the student's merit as a teammate, academic striving and on character, with the winner of the academic scholarship chosen by Coach Saban's family.

Just sayin', but it ain't that implausible to put together.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
not a peep in the ajc, and shaw is from Georgia.
Nope, not a peep, Apparently AJC's last full article on Shaw was in September of last year,reporting that he was still sidelined with the neck injury but should be over it soon....that his top-two were UGA & Alabama and that a Georgia coach recruiting him, told him to "hang in there."

Here is another good read on Shaw.
"Elisha Shaw was at one time a very highly sought after defensive tackle prospect from Georgia. He was a massive young man whose entire future changed with a severe neck injury suffered in the pre-season of 2013.

The injury didn’t stop most schools from recruiting him, as it was unclear whether he would get to play or not, but then late in 2013 Shaw got the bad news he didn’t want to hear from his doctors. He would never get to play football again.
Every school pulled their scholarship offer except one; Alabama and Nick Saban kept their scholarship offer on the table.
Shaw will be able to attend Alabama via football scholarship and receive a medical hardship. It’s a gesture that you’re not going to see plastered all over ESPN today, or really any day. This isn’t like a player getting arrested or saying something stupid on Twitter; it’s a real story which means it will be primarily ignored for the most part.
Although every “Nicky Satan” comment or oversigning claim hurled at Saban is blasted from the rooftops, things like the Elisha Shaw scholarship get ignored. If he blows up at the media over a stupid question, you can bet it will be all over ESPN. When he and members of the team show up at a children’s hospital to hang out with cancer patients, ESPN doesn’t care so much."

http://bamahammer.com/2014/02/....l-signing-day/

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One fly in the ointment occurred last evening, when I watched the sports kid on WAAY TV. He pointed out that AU still extended schollies to players who'd gotten injured their senior year. Remember these were not career-ending injuries. At the same time, Shaw was never mentioned. This reminds me to send them an email. Of course, that takes consciousness on the receiving end...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I would just bet that by hook or by crook this story makes it to both ESPN and the AJC. Now, it`ll be interesting to see if either does anything with it. Of course, we`ll probably never know for sure if it makes it to them, but I`m betting...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.