I need help that maybe someone closer to the program can help me with...

KYtider

Jul 16, 2013
Hey guys, whata signing day!!!!! Now that it is over I have an question that maybe someone on here can help me with. My really good friend has a brother that is an awesome player already and he is going to be a monster, UK, Ohiost, WVU, &Marshall all have been talking to him but he loves Bama.. He just completed his frosh season that he led his hs team to the 3A state championship. He starts both DE and H-Back for his high school called Belfry in the state of KY. His half brother started all 4 yrs @ UK whenever they were going to a bowl game every year, his name is David Jones, he ran a kickoff back to basically win their bowl game against ECU in the liberty bowl I believe his Junior Yr @ UK and signed a free agent contract with the Ravens where he didn't make the team. But they both come from a tough situation and he is wanting to send his frosh film to Bama to see if he can come to camp there. Somebody paid his way to go to osu camp last yr and he made the urban meyer all camper team as a 8th grader. The kid is going to be a stud and his mother asked me how she can help him get a film to bama so they can just see him and maybe invite him to camp this summer coming.. I have raised him as a Bama fan since he was born,lol and I honestly think he can play for us if he continues to work. Him and Matt Elam camped together @ UK this past summer so people are already knowing who he is. But, he wants to camp @ Bama just to get his name out there because he lives in an extremely small town in WV on the border of KY. If anyone can help me with an address to phone number that he can call to send his highlight film it would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks and RTR..

KYtider

Jul 16, 2013
Re: I need help that maybe someoene closer to the program can help me with...

oh yeah i forgot he is 6'1 1/2 and weighs 260 pounds as a true hs frosh..

Jan 27, 2005
Fort Mill, SC

On rolltide.com there is a place for prospects to fill out info under the more info tab at the top of the football page. Here is the link also: Link

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

579 had it right. Get him to the camps and get his tapes to CNS. They really do a LOT of evaluation at the camps and it is usually where guys who have not been on the radar yet first hit the
scene.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.

Lives in WV on the KY border. You sure his name is not Hatfield? LOL! j/k

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

579 had it right. Get him to the camps and get his tapes to CNS. They really do a LOT of evaluation at the camps and it is usually where guys who have not been on the radar yet first hit the
scene.
I agree, get him to the camps! Book your hotel rooms early as they will sell out... Took my cousins kid last summer and while checking into the Marriott Courtyard another family came in looking for a room and the manager told them they were oversold and all the hotels in town were sold out. Lots of camps plus orientation sessions going on.... My cousins kid is a QB who was with the top grouping last summer and he received 3 camp invites and a recruiting packet from BAMA last week. I just booked a room for the July 13-16 camp....

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Going to copy-and-post this response I had a few years back to a thread asking a similar question:

A bit of friendly advice for you, feel free take what you want and leave the rest:

* In that highlight video, cut out the editing frills. I know some people love to get into the special effects of video editing software, but it's not helping you. It's just more fluff that coaches and other evaluators have to fight through, so keep it as basic as possible.

* If there is a camp that he can go to -- and I mean any camp -- then find a way there. I don't care if it's at Alabama, Georgia, Southern Miss, South Alabama, East Popcorn State, whatever, be there. That's the best environment for coaches to evaluate talent, and they put a higher value on their evaluations there than anywhere else.

* When you go to camps, be respectful, polite, and be open to anything. Don't do any of this garb about how you want to play position x. Show up, keep your mouth shut, do whatever they tell you, play wherever they want to play.

* Send your information and highlight videos to all of the major "expert" services. Having said that, don't expect anything from that. They do 6,000+ "evaluations" a year now, and an e-mail won't have any real impact. Most likely, you're going to go to one of their camps for them to really notice you.

* Go to the camps of the "expert" services. I generally hate those things with a passion, and for the most part no football coach worth his salt pays any attention to them. However, they are good for generating word-of-mouth publicity about a kid, and that can filter down to letting coaching staffs know about a player. It won't get you any scholarship offers, but it can help you get noticed. Use them as a tool.

* If you do get involved with the "expert" services, they'll have people calling you. Constantly. If they are giving you some attention, when you do give out "updates," make sure you give it to both services. If they see you are talking to one while ignoring the other, the one you are ignoring will act as if you don't exist.

* Stay away from anyone and everyone trying to get you to pay them to promote your kid. There are a ton of these "services" out there now, and they run the gauntlet from useless and ineffective to outright scams. The point is that none of these can help you, and most of these will effectively steal hundreds if not thousands of dollars from you. Stay away from these things like the plague.

* Keep good grades. Coaches put more emphasis on academics now than ever before, and in this day and age you either have to be an elite player or the school has to be incredibly desperate to take on an academic risk. Look up what core classes are required, and make sure he has at least a 3.0 GPA in those core classes. I don't care what the overall GPA is, that's completely and totally irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the GPA in those core classes. Nothing will ruin a kid's recruitment quicker than a coach browsing his transcripts and seeing he has a 2.1 GPA.

* Take the ACT early and take it often. You can take the highest score from multiple test dates -- and in fact, you can combined individual section scores from one test date with the scores from other dates in order to get the highest possible composite score -- so if you bomb it once it's no big deal. Just take it early as you can and try to do as best as you can. If you knock it out of the park, great. If not, take some ACT prep courses and take it again. Sign up now for the next ACT test date and start studying. Just about any kid who can make a 20 on the ACT can get qualified almost regardless of how poor the core GPA.

KYtider

Jul 16, 2013

Thanks everyone for all your help, this kid really has no one, and is def a D1 player, he has no father and his mother graduated HS with my father so she has ask me to help with everything involving him. I was just asking on here cause I would just like to see him get the opportunity to show off his talents to CNS and play for the best. As one of you mentioned about his HS coach, if left up to him alone then its UK all the way, and he is going to be way too talented to play there if he continues to work hard and progress as a player. He already looks like a senior in hs instead of going into his soph yr coming up next yr. You don't always see a kid that is 14 that is 6'1 260 and wears a 16 shoe and dominate a state championship game like he did in 3A this year.. But thanks for all the answers from everyone and we will go from here.. His grades are above a 3.0 but he hasn't taken the ACT yet which he plans on this summer or the next time it is offered.. Thanks again and RTR..

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

Good luck! So good of you to help out in this way. Roll Tide!

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks everyone for all your help, this kid really has no one, and is def a D1 player, he has no father and his mother graduated HS with my father so she has ask me to help with everything involving him. I was just asking on here cause I would just like to see him get the opportunity to show off his talents to CNS and play for the best. As one of you mentioned about his HS coach, if left up to him alone then its UK all the way, and he is going to be way too talented to play there if he continues to work hard and progress as a player. He already looks like a senior in hs instead of going into his soph yr coming up next yr. You don't always see a kid that is 14 that is 6'1 260 and wears a 16 shoe and dominate a state championship game like he did in 3A this year.. But thanks for all the answers from everyone and we will go from here.. His grades are above a 3.0 but he hasn't taken the ACT yet which he plans on this summer or the next time it is offered.. Thanks again and RTR..
Two things:

(1) Again, make certain he does the camp circuit. It's important for all kids, but especially those like this young man who does not come from a state that does routinely turns out a lot of prep talent. Most of the skepticism that comes with that will recede with some good camp performances.

(2) I know you mention the GPA is above a 3.0, but what is the core GPA? Again, that's the only one that matters, and if he doesn't know it, he needs to find out immediately. A lot of kids get caught in that trap, thinking, "Oh, I have a 3.2 GPA so I'm straight," when in reality once you factor out about 8-10 A's in classes like PE, Driver's Ed, Music Appreciation, etc., they've actually got a 2.3 in core classwork, and are in need of real work to get qualified. It's what they do in math, science, literature, foreign language, and other social sciences that matter, the rest is just fluff. Don't let him be that kid just finding that out at the end of his junior year. Trust me, lots of kids get caught in that trap every year.

Last edited:

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

Good luck. I'll be looking for David Jones' name in about 3 years. Hopefully he rides with the TIde.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.