Missouri DE Michael Sam comes out the first openly gay NFL prospect.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Well didn't see that coming, but if it makes him live his life more free then props to him!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't get why people feel the need to "make an announcement" about their sexuality. I understand that homosexuality in pro sports, and team sports in general is a hot topic right now, but it just seems kinda strange. Should we just have all athletes declare their sexuality now, whether it be bisexual, homosexual, or heterosexual? I don't agree with homosexuality but I would by no means treat anyone different or discriminate against someone who is. It just seems like it is celebrated when someone makes an announcement that they are gay. But if you express an opposing view you are labeled as close minded and non-accepting.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Who cares! Just play football. Stop trying to shove it down our throats...

Sent from my iPhone
It's like Justin Bieber, I could ignore it but I keep seeing him everywhere, I wouldn't have made the thread if we didn't live in this type of society. It's a big issue though.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I don't get why people feel the need to "make an announcement" about their sexuality. I understand that homosexuality in pro sports, and team sports in general is a hot topic right now, but it just seems kinda strange. Should we just have all athletes declare their sexuality now, whether it be bisexual, homosexual, or heterosexual? I don't agree with homosexuality but I would by no means treat anyone different or discriminate against someone who is. It just seems like it is celebrated when someone makes an announcement that they are gay. But if you express an opposing view you are labeled as close minded and non-accepting.
Good points. If the the gay community wants equality then quit making a spectacle out of it. You make your decisions for your lifestyle and I will for mine. I will not treat someone different b/c of sexual orientation. Most people I know feel the same way. Whether I agree with it is a non-issue. It's his life to do what he wishes. I hope he doesn't face negative consequences for this. I'm guessing the Dolphins will pass on him :)

Before someone plays it's not a choice card- all forms of sexual orientation are a choice-heterosexual, homosexual, bi-sexual, celibacy, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Good for him. I don't care.
Ditto.

As for the timing, this from The St. Louis paper:

Empire Athletes, initially planned for Sam to come out at the end of this month following the NFL scouting combine. But Sam’s support team decided to make the announcement Sunday after reporters began asking questions about Sam’s sexuality at last month’s Senior Bowl all-star game

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Just wanted to "come out" here and tell everyone I'm straight, over 40, can't run the 40, and can't tackle squat. Half the things I said have no relevance to my SEC/future NFL career.

You guess which half.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
The problem is that gays who come out publicly want to do more than let it be known. They want to rub your face in it so as to force some kind of justification for, and maybe some acceptance of, their newly publicized lifestyle.

Here's my personal message to them: I don't care. Cruel, huh?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The problem is that gays who come out publicly want to do more than let it be known. They want to rub your face in it so as to force some kind of justification for, and maybe some acceptance of, their newly publicized lifestyle.

Here's my personal message to them: I don't care. Cruel, huh?
the guy came out privately over a year ago to his team mates at Mizzou. 105 people plus the staff. He knew now it would get out and his agent was getting questions. He wanted to be the one to tell his own story. Good for him now lets all just move on and really not care. He's a hell of a player hope he makes someones team

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/s...r-says-he-is-gay-ahead-of-nfl-draft.html?_r=0

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
the guy came out privately over a year ago to his team mates at Mizzou. 105 people plus the staff. He knew now it would get out and his agent was getting questions. He wanted to be the one to tell his own story. Good for him now lets all just move on and really not care. He's a hell of a player hope he makes someones team

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/s...r-says-he-is-gay-ahead-of-nfl-draft.html?_r=0
So he came out, but there weren't enough people there to watch, so he went back in, waited until a bigger crowd formed and then came back out again? And to what end?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So he came out, but there weren't enough people there to watch, so he went back in, waited until a bigger crowd formed and then came back out again? And to what end?
no he came out to those closest to him and moved on with his life. Going into the draft it was clearly about to come out as news so he jumped it and released the news on his terms. Good for him. You said you don't care, remember? Don't

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.