Offensive Line futures discussion

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Offseason sux. gotta "consult the bones".

Unlike in years past I think the line that starts in the spring game will have a challenge with some summer arrivals. Much is keyed off the winner at left tackle. I'm confident Ryan Kelly and Austin Shepherd will start somewhere.. So here is how I see this might go.

At left tackle the candidates are true freshman Cameron Robinson, red shirt freshman Grant Hill, and Senior Leon Brown. It's also possible Arie Kouandjio could slide out to replace his brother. I expect this to be a fierce battle since blind side tackles tend to make more money at the next level and starting there in college cold increase stock. Cameron Robinson is probably the most talented here but is the least experienced and I would be surprised if he could win the job this spring. If he did, dang.... lookout.

If the bowl practices are an indicator Leon Brown probably is ahead to win this battle and I would not be surprised to see him leave spring as the leader. Grant Hill was good "for a freshman". The problem is "for a freshman" is over now and he has to be good, period. Is he making that move? Don't know yet. Arie moving over seems less likely as he had a rough year at Guard and probably his best chance is to stay there. In the end I see this as a Grant Hill/Leon Brown battle.

The winner of the spring battle will face two challenges this fall. One Cameron Robinson will probably improve daily and you never know when that momentum is going to start building steam. And the arrival (grades allowing) of Dominick Jackson. I'm not saying Jackson is one of the four horsemen of the appocolypse but he's big, he's very agressive, and he faced some pretty good competition at the junior college division he played in.

Which all leaves another question at Right Guard.

Many have said (myself included) that Chad Lindsay might get a shot at Guard. While this is possible I feel the greater possibility is that Lindsay continues to come off the bench, possibly at all three inside positions. He's smart, he doens't get frazzled, and he doesn't get run over. In a game situation this guy could easily be the difference between winning and losing.

I've been surprised we haven't had a push from Alphonse Taylor. I guess he was just too heavy coming in from high school. I wouldn't be shocked to see him make a push for that spot.

Most likely the loser of the battle at left tackle might slot in at right guard and then have to hold off Taylor. This fall Jackcon arrives having played both tackle and guard in junior college. The question at that point is just how strong is he and how good are his feet. From the film I saw the guy just mauls people but in the SEC you can't count on that every play.

My best guess for spring is as follows:

LT - Grant Hill
LG - Arie K
C - Ryan Kelly
RG - Leon Brown
RT - Austin Shepherd

This fall the battle starts anew with possibly a different result. It seems in years we have NOT had someone lose a job in the fall our line struggled. I'm hoping keeping jobs this fall is nearly impossible.

I don't expect any of the true freshman to start this year. I think this is a stellar crop and they are all well aware that Alabama will graduate a minimum of four experienced players several of which are starters so this class is going to be instrumental in our offensive line for the 2015 season.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If Arie continues to miss the blocks he missed last season he might find himself on the bench. He missed entirely too many assignments last season. No way we can have a season like that out of him again and he be the best we have at that position. If so we're not going to be much better on the line.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think we missed on Leon Brown. No way you bring a JUCO guy in and not start him. So I'm guessing that our JUCO guy this year Dominic Jackson will either slide in at RT or hold down LT depending on how Cam Robinson progresses (he's said to be further along developmentally than Cyrus Kuoandjio was at this point). So my guess. I also think Grant Hill had too many good things going for him last season not to be on the field more this year. So my guess is as follows

LT - Cam Robinson
LG - Arie Kouandjio / Grant Hill
C - Kelly / Lindsay
RG - Austin Shepard / Leon Brown
RT - Dominic Jackson

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Good post, and hopefully it will generate some quality discussion, but I will note that as a practical matter I do not believe that anyone really has any real idea as to how this will shake out, and I think that probably even goes for the staff as well (though I'm sure they have some decent ideas). I don't think we've seen any unit this wide open since Saban arrived in 2007.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've thought about the OL/DL a bit since there's a good bit of question with both.

Does Cam Robinson solidify the LT spot in the spring? Good chance of it. Smitty did in 2006 (yes, I know different times/coaches). CyKo played a bit there in 2011 even though Barrett was the starting LT.

How does Dominick Jackson do when he arrives in June? That is the big question when trying to figure out the starting tackle spots. I would expect him to take one of them, but I also expected Leon Brown to take the RT spot last season.

Speaking of LB, he looks to have the RG spot since he started in the Sugar Bowl. All season we heard Kellen Williams was the sixth OL when someone went down. That changed when Leon had time to practice. Was the staff playing the better lineman or preparing the future? Looked more like preparing to the future.

The Kelly v. Lindsay battle was debated some on here during the season. It will probably continue until one takes hold of the spot. A legitimate question: does Kelly just need more experience? If that's not it, I would like to see Chad get the spot because the OL seemed to be more physical with him at center.

Two players that very well could get left out of the OL rotation in 2014 that we shouldn't forget about: Grant Hill and Alphonse Taylor.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Who's going to pick up the all-important task of shoving the QB when he gets out of line? ;)
Kelly wasn't going to shove McCarron but with a new guy coming in all bets are off. I think it's exclusively the centers job to "do a Barrett"

I didn't mention Brandon Hill. This guy is one massive individual. He had no chance of ever seeing the field this year but depending on how much weight he has lost there is certainly some "masher" potential there. I'm guessing he might still be a year away from his weight goals.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Good post, and hopefully it will generate some quality discussion, but I will note that as a practical matter I do not believe that anyone really has any real idea as to how this will shake out, and I think that probably even goes for the staff as well (though I'm sure they have some decent ideas). I don't think we've seen any unit this wide open since Saban arrived in 2007.
Yep, I tend to agree. In fact, I think we are going to see some surprises from some of the young uns already on campus. There is the proverbial light bulb that goes off with these kids by the second or third year and they are all going to be competing hard to stave off the freshmen/JUCOs. I hope we have some pleasant surprises.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
If Arie continues to miss the blocks he missed last season he might find himself on the bench. He missed entirely too many assignments last season. No way we can have a season like that out of him again and he be the best we have at that position. If so we're not going to be much better on the line.
I'm getting the feeling that Cyrus was too busy looking out for him and opponents blew past him as well. When it comes to center I always thought that the line played better and was more physical with Lindsey starting. As for tackle you don't just sign the #1 tackle in the country and not play him. Robinson is unreal. Idk much about the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Offseason sux. gotta "consult the bones".

Unlike in years past I think the line that starts in the spring game will have a challenge with some summer arrivals. Much is keyed off the winner at left tackle. I'm confident Ryan Kelly and Austin Shepherd will start somewhere.. So here is how I see this might go.

At left tackle the candidates are true freshman Cameron Robinson, red shirt freshman Grant Hill, and Senior Leon Brown. It's also possible Arie Kouandjio could slide out to replace his brother. I expect this to be a fierce battle since blind side tackles tend to make more money at the next level and starting there in college cold increase stock. Cameron Robinson is probably the most talented here but is the least experienced and I would be surprised if he could win the job this spring. If he did, dang.... lookout.

I don't expect any of the true freshman to start this year. I think this is a stellar crop and they are all well aware that Alabama will graduate a minimum of four experienced players several of which are starters so this class is going to be instrumental in our offensive line for the 2015 season.

Didn't Grant Hill get significant snaps toward the end of the year? How is he a RS Freshman?

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Hill seemed to be more built to be a guard from the limited time in which I observed him on the field, so it would surprise me a little bit if he was a front runner for LT. However, I could easily see him pushing for either guard depending on how AK progresses in the offseason, but I mainly see him taking over RG from Steen.

Center will probably be a battle between Lyndsay and Kelly, but Lyndsay seems to be a little more versatile on the line. I would expect Kelly to win the with Lyndsay taking over at one guard spot or the other.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Here ya go...

LT-Cam Robinsinson
LG- Grant Hill
C- Chad Lindsay
RG- Ross Pierschbacher
RT-Dominic Jackson

Coach Saban said he felt like the team was at a point where he needed to "start over".
I don't think he'll hesitate to change personnel in what was, in my opinion, a far less than dominant offensive line, even if it requires the younger ones playing sooner than he'd prefer to play them.

sip

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Here ya go...

LT-Cam Robinsinson
LG- Grant Hill
C- Chad Lindsay
RG- Ross Pierschbacher
RT-Dominic Jackson

Coach Saban said he felt like the team was at a point where he needed to "start over".
I don't think he'll hesitate to change personnel in what was, in my opinion, a far less than dominant offensive line, even if it requires the younger ones playing sooner than he'd prefer to play them.

sip
Dang, 5 new starters when we return 3? Chad was a quasi-starter and I see he and Kelly as 1a and 1b so that may be a pick'em since both started multiple games; the spring will determine a lot because we have a lot of competition and no clear stud, although i do think Shepherd is our best returning guy, so I'm surprised he's not anywhere in your 5.

I don't see Shepherd losing a starting spot, but I do expect him to slide down to RG to make way for Jackson at RT (plus I think he's better suited on the interior). Some see Jackson at LT, but I think he's got the mentality that Fluker had and that is to dominate your opponent (more RT run blocking quality than LT).

From all the reporters and scouts, Cam isn't as refined as CyKo was or as athletically gifted as Andre was as a senior in HS. Considering CyKo didn't start on day 1, but was eased into it, I could see the same for Cam, but Cam has the luxury of spring practice. I think he'll come out of spring as the most improved new guy (whatever award that is) because his issues I think are more technical than physical and that can be coached up. My best guess:

LT: Cam or G. Hill (Hill starts the season here, but Cam takes over as he gets more comfortable; Hill then may slide into LG because unfortunately, I think Arie may have injury issues (just based on history)
LG: Arie K.
C: Kelly (this will be tighest battle imho
RG: Shepherd
RT: D. Jackson

I think the lights may have come on for Brown at the end of the year. This spring will definitely be interesting because it may end up like you project just because no job is safe, although I think Shepherd is going to be somewhere because he's our best returning player.

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
Center will probably be a battle between Lyndsay and Kelly, but Lyndsay seems to be a little more versatile on the line. I would expect Kelly to win the with Lyndsay taking over at one guard spot or the other.
Not saying that Lindsay should start at center over Kelly, but he just seems like too good a player to be a back-up another year, and as mentioned, the rest of the line just seems to play more agressive when he is in playing. Does anyone know if he is versatile enough to play guard? I'm thinking left guard. Not bashing Arie, but he left a lot to be desired at LG last season. At any rate, I wish they would find a starting spot for CL.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
As of now I would say Arie K is the most likely to lose a starting spot.

Don't forget about Bozeman.

Regardless of who ends up starting against WV, I think we will see a lot more substituting than in the past. The 2 deep will be the best its been in a while IMO.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Not saying that Lindsay should start at center over Kelly, but he just seems like too good a player to be a back-up another year, and as mentioned, the rest of the line just seems to play more agressive when he is in playing. Does anyone know if he is versatile enough to play guard? I'm thinking left guard. Not bashing Arie, but he left a lot to be desired at LG last season. At any rate, I wish they would find a starting spot for CL.
For whatever reason we seemed to be better offensively when Chad was in the game last year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.