Finebaum Grilling James Franklin

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Re: Finebaum Grilling Jame Franklin

Yeah, he really threw Vandy under the bus. Sure, it's a business, and you do what's right for you, but there should be boundaries. When PSU comes off their bowl ban, look for some bowl to try and get a Vandy-PSU matchup.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Love the tweets about this at the bottom of the link. Several folks going after Paul by asking if he's asked Saban about the medical redshirts or saying Paul only did it because Franklin called Saban "Satan" one time. Yep, that's exactly why Paul did it.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia

I think he answered the question and Paul badgered him on the issue. He stated the players called him and they recruited him. True or not, it is a respectable answer in my opinion.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

I have over time developed an intense dislike for Franklin. Many of his comments show that he's about as deep as the water at Groom Lake, NV. He appears to care only about himself and I consider him to be completely undeserving of success due to his haughty attitude. I hope he fails immensely if that is what it takes for him to rediscover humanity.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

I have over time developed an intense dislike for Franklin. Many of his comments show that he's about as deep as the water at Groom Lake, NV. He appears to care only about himself and I consider him to be completely undeserving of success due to his haughty attitude. I hope he fails immensely if that is what it takes for him to rediscover humanity.
Good point about his arrogance. This explains why Clay Travis had a man crush on him :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

This is the best assessment of Franklin I have seen on this board. He is an overrated, arrogant arse who recruited a fair number of thugs and who's success was against a down SEC East over the past 3 years. IMO his act won't last long at PSU.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.

Like my Daddy used to say, can't walk thru the field of life barefooted without eventually sometimes stepping in crap,..and Franklin's field is full of it.:tongue:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

This is the best assessment of Franklin I have seen on this board. He is an overrated, arrogant arse who recruited a fair number of thugs and who's success was against a down SEC East over the past 3 years. IMO his act won't last long at PSU.
I think he did a good job (not a commentary of his character) to help Vandy get out of the basement of the SECE. But you do raise a legitimate point about the competition he competed against during his time at Vandy. Florida is at an all time low since the early 90's. UT football has been at his lowest in recent memory. UGA and USCe have been the strongest teams in the east, but the whole eastern division is just so far behind the west right now.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I understand the Vanderbilt beef over this deal but truthfully we all know that their classes were all subject to the possibility of Franklin skipping town. The level they were recruiting wasn't because of the Vanderbilt brand but the Franklin brand. Very few of their players were committed to the school and they went with the coach they were committed to playing under for 4-5 years.

It sucks for them but it is what it is.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

It's the nature of college recruiting today. Don't hate the player. All involved are making the best choice they can for themselves. Sooner or later, all schools/fan bases will experience life on each side of this situation.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I still can't believe he's making over 4 million a year. Think about that, fourth place in the SEC East gets a guy over 4 million a year, and remember he's never been head coach anywhere else, so the best he's ever done is fourth in the SEC East. I know it's Vanderbilt, but it's really hard for me to believe that's a four million dollar resume.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

My thing is I went to real estate school and learned there is a thing called conflict of interest when you take ones clients money then use them to make a sale. Seems like the same thing to me him using the excuse I had a relationship with the recruits then taking Vandys money. We would lose our license if they could prove it, which to me its morally wrong. Looks like to me they could sue him. ;)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Did any of Fran's commits to TCU follow him here? Did anybody here flip to A&M when he bolted?

Same question for Curry with Tech and Kentucky or Price and Washington State.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

I have to say Franklin did a good job at Vandy for Vandy. Now he is in an entirely different arena. We will see very soon how he measures up.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I think he did a good job (not a commentary of his character) to help Vandy get out of the basement of the SECE. But you do raise a legitimate point about the competition he competed against during his time at Vandy. Florida is at an all time low since the early 90's. UT football has been at his lowest in recent memory. UGA and USCe have been the strongest teams in the east, but the whole eastern division is just so far behind the west right now.
I agree the East Division is way behind the West, no contest. But still, the second best division in the SEC is pretty tough competition compared to what teams in other conferences have for in-conference games.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I have to say Franklin did a good job at Vandy for Vandy. Now he is in an entirely different arena. We will see very soon how he measures up.
Well, even with NCAA limitations, going from Vandy to Penn State is roughly equivalent to getting a job at Georgia or LSU in respect to Big Ten historical pecking order.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

I recall Franklin's remark about how he determined the self-confidence of a prospective coach by the attractiveness of their wife. That theory seems to have some merit on the surface, but it probably only applies to superficial, shallow-minded persons like himself. It's somewhat ironic that he was working in Nashville, home of Andrew Jackson's home (the Hermitage). Andrew Jackson was likely one of the most self-confident men that ever lived and his love for his wife Rachel (who by most accounts was quite homely in appearance) was legendary. When he first married her (details are murky about when and where this happened), she was not divorced yet from her first husband and this would be an issue in Andrew Jackson's political reputation for the remainder of his life. After her divorce was final, they remarried in 1791.

Rachel was often insulted (usually behind her back due to Andrew Jackson's temper) about her looks and also her adultery with Andrew Jackson before she was divorced from her first husband. After one public insult in 1806, Andrew Jackson challenged Charles Dickinson (an established duelist who had killed 28 men in duels) to a duel to defend Rachel's honor. Dickinson fired first, hitting Jackson in the left upper chest just one inch from his heart. Jackson did not fall, but instead stood calmly, took careful aim, and then killed Dickinson. It is said that of Jackson's 103 duels fought, most were due to insults against Rachel.

In actuality, it probably takes more self-confidence to marry someone that isn't attractive than the other way around, especially if you are in a profession that makes you a public figure. In any case, discrimination in hiring based on the attractiveness of a candidate's spouse seems that it could get him in some legal trouble if it could be proven.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Some of you are letting your anger over Franklin blind your judgment in assessing his accomplishment.

You can bark about the East being "down" all you wish (and you're right), but that still doesn't change the fact that the players recruited to Vandy on the whole are not even in the same solar system as those who wind up at Florida or Georgia or Tennessee. Even if you want to say he had "this star and that star," he didn't have an entire roster full of them.

Georgia was so deep at QB not so long ago that both back-ups to Aaron Murray went to other schools and did pretty good (Mettenberger and Marshall). Do any of you seriously think that whoever the Vandy back-up QB was last year was really on anyone's radar? In most years, Vandy's starters wouldn't be able to beat the third string head-to-head with the three teams I mentioned.

Criticize his comments, criticize his character, but don't disparage what was a helluva accomplishment.

Should we say that the only reason Florida State was in the national title game this year is because recruiting has been "down" at Miami and Florida lately and they thus benefited? It's sort of a circular argument - isn't Franklin at Vandy at least part of the reason some other schools are down?

Again - not defending him but don't let your emotion blind your analysis.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.

Wow, I never thought we would see the day that the head coach at Penn State would even want Vandy's recruits.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.