Link: Tide Signer Cornwell Works On Knee & Is Ready To Compete

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Tide Signee Cornwell Works On Knee & Is Ready To Compete

Here's good write up from The Anniston Star about Cornwell, & how he's ready for the competition at Bama, after dealing with his knee injury..I kinda wish he does RS his 1st year, so he'll be ready to take over the job, should Coker come in & is the "real deal", that's being advertised before Coker has even stepped onto campus..I'll be just as happy of a camper should Cornwell come in & dominate by winning the starting job his 1st year..Mods if this needs to be moved to the recruiting forum, please do so, since Cornwell has already signed with us, I wasn't sure which forum this belongs in..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I would think you so to coming off a knee injury, but, how far technology in sports medicine has come along in the last 5yrs, those type knee injuries are just a bump in the road for the athletes in sports today..It wasn't that long ago, his injury to his knee, all but guaranteed their sports career was over..And with the starting QB job open for the taking..Cornwell will come in guns ablaze trying to win the starting job..

And he is as talented as any QB on our roster..So while it's a long shot..He could very well win the job..My money is on the obvious choice..Coker & Cornell will have a couple years to heal up & get into college football shape..

Seems like Cornwell would want to red shirt if he doesn't win the starting QB job.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would think you so to coming off a knee injury, but, how far technology in sports medicine has come along in the last 5yrs, those type knee injuries are just a bump in the road for the athletes in sports today..It wasn't that long ago, his injury to his knee, all but guaranteed their sports career was over..And with the starting QB job open for the taking..Cornwell will come in guns ablaze trying to win the starting job..

And he is as talented as any QB on our roster..So while it's a long shot..He could very well win the job..My money is on the obvious choice..Coker & Cornell will have a couple years to heal up & get into college football shape..
IDK, I had the same operation in 1995 and played basketball for seven more years. Wasn't a "bump in the road," but the basic procedures are still the same. There seems to be an impression which has formed that athletes can hurry along the healing process by extra work and this is not true. The graft is the strongest the day it's put in, stronger than it will be for another 8-11 months. The graft has to die and serve as the scaffold for fresh tissue and blood supply to grow in. (The nerves never regenerate.) It's weakest from 3-4.5 months. A youthful body and good PT, strengthening the muscles around the joint help, but the healing process can only be hurried along so far. Six month full recoveries are myths. Many times, the true recovery time, including mental, is more like 18-24 months. Think Hightower, for example...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I was hoping you would chime in Earle..With your info about Cornwell's rehabilitation on his knee..I would hope he doesn't come in gung ho trying to win the starting job, let Coker or whoever wins the job while given his knee a good ear at the very least to properly heal..

IDK, I had the same operation in 1995 and played basketball for seven more years. Wasn't a "bump in the road," but the basic procedures are still the same. There seems to be an impression which has formed that athletes can hurry along the healing process by extra work and this is not true. The graft is the strongest the day it's put in, stronger than it will be for another 8-11 months. The graft has to die and serve as the scaffold for fresh tissue and blood supply to grow in. (The nerves never regenerate.) It's weakest from 3-4.5 months. A youthful body and good PT, strengthening the muscles around the joint help, but the healing process can only be hurried along so far. Six month full recoveries are myths. Many times, the true recovery time, including mental, is more like 18-24 months. Think Hightower, for example...

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
Re: Tide Signee Cornwell Works On Knee & Is Ready To Compete

I think we have to remember that if Coker does win the job that pretty much puts him as the Bama QB for the next two seasons unless he was to play poorly and lose the job. I think if that happens Cornwell would redshirt this season and be possible backup next season. Cornwell best shot is starting as a redshirt sophomore.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I have never known at athlete who redshirted who regretted it in his 5th year. Now, some may be so good that they don't make it there...but that is rare. DC's work ethic is great and if he wins the competition outright, more power to him. However, I think we all know that experience plays as much of a key in success at QB as does talent...especially against SEC defenses. I agree that he will probably redshirt and then have a tremendous chance to be a 3 year starter. Unfortunately, my crystal ball is broken...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I do not have the knowledge about knee rehabs but I do think the Best will start whoever it is. This will probably be the most important decision made by Kiffin & CNS for the season.

I still think you will see a two QB rotation, both have done it in the past.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was hoping you would chime in Earle..With your info about Cornwell's rehabilitation on his knee..I would hope he doesn't come in gung ho trying to win the starting job, let Coker or whoever wins the job while given his knee a good ear at the very least to properly heal..
I went back to basketball at ten months, but that was really too early, mentally. It ruined downhill skiing for me. I always enjoyed bombing downhill as fast as I could go. After the injury and rehab, my knee was always in the back of my mind. I couldn't stand the thought of another year of showing up at the gym door at 5:00 AM...

Bama Whiz

Jan 28, 2014

I think Cornwell will be just fine. He is a premier athlete with some of the best facilities and trainers in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

We probably won't need DC for two years, when Coker is finished here. He should be fine by then.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i found this out the hard way on my first ACL. my leg strength was back to 95+% at about 4 months and i thought i was good to go. didn't take long before i blew my knee out a second time.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I would be totally surprised if Cornwell does not redshirt. I still anticipate 1 maybe 2 QBs will be gone before fall camp.
There are a lot of reasons that Cornwell should redshirt, and if he doesn't it is a pretty bad sign. The first reason would be Coker and Sims, both of which could hypothetically be gone after next season, and both have a lot more experience. Second is the knee injury, there's no advantage to rushing it, if he is 100% when he does step on the field that's better for everyone. Finally, he showed signs that he might need more development prior to his injury. One year of focusing on things like mechanics could do him a lot of good, and it's possible things line up for him to get playing time as a redshirt freshman.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Isn't it funny how the incoming freshman QB is all we like to talk about. This time last year, everyone was saying how Cooper Bateman will be starting this year. He may be the best QB ever at Bama. Now, he is a forgotten thought. I hope Cornwell is as good as we all hope. Let's just remember that the QB position is wide open and no one knows who will step up and lead the team this year, next year or in 2 years. It'll be fun to watch though.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
As for the possibility of Cornwell winning the starting job, I don't believe it would be best for him and certainly not best for the program. It would mean mistakes were made in identifying and developing talent and likely would be multiple transfers if that happened.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Cornwell should redshirt and get 100% before taking a snap in practice or otherwise. As far as the QB race, I think CNS would like to see Blake win the job. CNS stated that Blake could make plays with his feet as well as his arm. Also, he said that Bateman worked with the scout team last year and stated that he improved so do forget about him. He was a 5 star recruit as I remember.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Cornwell should redshirt and get 100% before taking a snap in practice or otherwise. As far as the QB race, I think CNS would like to see Blake win the job. CNS stated that Blake could make plays with his feet as well as his arm. Also, he said that Bateman worked with the scout team last year and stated that he improved so do forget about him. He was a 5 star recruit as I remember.
4 star

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Earle
I have a torn meniscus and am trying to nurse it so that Medicare can pay for it in 2 years. Riding a stationary bike instead of treadmill...walking less...think I can make it? It hurts a lot less now that I gave up the treadmill.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.