Marvin Constant's story

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Those who remember Marvin might enjoy the book he's written on his football career, which was ended tragically in the '99 LSU game when he blew out his left knee on a saving tackle. He'll always be remembered by me as the hero of that game.
LINK

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
stories like his are why I can never blame a guy for going to the pro's early if they have a chance.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It was such a shame. He was one helluva player, first on offense, then on defense. But he got his education and the security of employability...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Those who remember Marvin might enjoy the book he's written on his football career, which was ended tragically in the '99 LSU game when he blew out his left knee on a saving tackle. He'll always be remembered by me as the hero of that game.
LINK
I was at that game. Marvin turned himself into a human pretzel making a play at the goal line. There wasn`t much left in his knee that he didn`t tear making that play. I was just surprised that other parts of his body didn`t fall off.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think this would be a good read for anyone. I'll definitely read it.
I remember the play like it was yesterday. One of the greatest in Bama history considering the situation. I'm like Earle, I'm just glad he overcame his heartache, got his education, and is doing well. You just never know what the future holds, but that education doesn't ever go away. Once it's yours, it's yours to keep.

CrimsonSnake

3rd Team
Aug 21, 2002
Huntsville, ALABAMA, USA
I was at that game. Marvin turned himself into a human pretzel making a play at the goal line. There wasn`t much left in his knee that he didn`t tear making that play. I was just surprised that other parts of his body didn`t fall off.
Wasn't there another player hurt on the same play? My seats were in the end zone that season and I seem to remember someone else injured as well.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Wasn't there another player hurt on the same play? My seats were in the end zone that season and I seem to remember someone else injured as well.

My recollection is yes, there were a couple of our down (including Marvin) and maybe even one from LSU. It was a real train wreck of a final play.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

Kenny Smith blew his knee on the play before Marvin's. There were 2 other starters besides Marvin and Kenny hurt in that brutal game: Canary Knight (broken leg, out for season); and DB Tony Dixon, who came back to play last 4 games. That made 3 defensive players lost for the season during that game.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I think of Marvin Constant fairly often. Had he stayed healthy he would be a Bama legend today and in every discussion re Greatest Bama LB's Ever.

Same for Tyrone Prothro, both just scratched the surface of their futures on the football field.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
I hope this guy aces every job interview.

"Can you tell me an example of a time you had to go above and beyond for your team memberss?"
"Okay, tell me if one of the other candidates can top this..."

BamaGal99

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2011
Was my last year in the Million Dollar Band. What a year and what a game that was. Will never forget Marvin after that game. I think I read somewhere that his friends wouldn't let him watch that play for many years. I can't imagine what he went through. Will get the book. Thanks! RTR!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The only one seeing about Constant was Grimes. Granted it was pandemonium. Lost two very good defensive players on back to back plays. That was a tough hit that Kenny Smith took on the previous play. Didn't see if Dubose even checked on Constant & I don't remember if he did. Knowing him he was probably oblivious to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
I was standing in the corner of the end zone where that play happened and it was upsetting to see. I saw everyone celebrating while he was rolling around in pain and it did put things in perspective. We fans get all wrapped up in the outcome of the game and are quick to criticize players when something goes wrong. Most of us don't know what they go through to get out there, what they sacrifice and what they risk. I try not to get too wound up about somebody dropping a pass, jumping offside or missing a tackle. I probably won't get a concussion or tear an ACL sitting on my couch drinking beer. My hat is off to Marvin, Tyrone Prothro, and for that matter, anybody else that stepped into the arena wearing the crimson jersey. They don't all make a fortune in the NFL. I suspect all the players play though pain and injury at some point. We tend to see them as invincible robots inside those uniforms. Injuries are a sad part of the game that is convenient and easy to overlook when things are going well. A guy willing to risk not walking right again for the next 60+ years deserves all the credit he can get.

If he doesn't make that tackle that ended his career, we don't go to the SEC Championship and destroy Florida,and then at least make it to the Orange Bowl. I will be interested to read his assessment of whether it was worth it.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I was standing in the corner of the end zone where that play happened and it was upsetting to see. I saw everyone celebrating while he was rolling around in pain and it did put things in perspective. We fans get all wrapped up in the outcome of the game and are quick to criticize players when something goes wrong. Most of us don't know what they go through to get out there, what they sacrifice and what they risk. I try not to get too wound up about somebody dropping a pass, jumping offside or missing a tackle. I probably won't get a concussion or tear an ACL sitting on my couch drinking beer. My hat is off to Marvin, Tyrone Prothro, and for that matter, anybody else that stepped into the arena wearing the crimson jersey. They don't all make a fortune in the NFL. I suspect all the players play though pain and injury at some point. We tend to see them as invincible robots inside those uniforms. Injuries are a sad part of the game that is convenient and easy to overlook when things are going well. A guy willing to risk not walking right again for the next 60+ years deserves all the credit he can get.

If he doesn't make that tackle that ended his career, we don't go to the SEC Championship and destroy Florida,and then at least make it to the Orange Bowl. I will be interested to read his assessment of whether it was worth it.

Damn good post.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I really appreciate you sharing this post. Constant was a fine LB at Bama but it also appears he has made a fine man.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.