Former NOLA Mayor Ray Nagin Convicted of Corruption

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...t-in-ex-new-orleans-mayor-nagin-bribery-case/

A jury convicted former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin Wednesday on 20 of 21 federal corruption counts, including bribery, marking a stunning fall for the feisty official who gained a national profile following Hurricane Katrina.

The 57-year-old Democrat, who led his city through the aftermath of the 2005 storm, was found guilty of charges that he accepted bribes, free trips and other gratuities from contractors in exchange for helping them secure millions of dollars in city work while he was in office.

Nagin sat quietly at the defense table after the verdict was read and his wife, Seletha, was being consoled in the front row. Before the verdict, he said outside the New Orleans courtroom: "I've been at peace with this for a long time. I'm good."

Nagin, who left office in 2010 after eight years, was indicted in January 2013 on charges he accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes and truckloads of free granite for his family business in exchange for promoting the interests of local businessman Frank Fradella.

Nagin's former technology chief, Greg Meffert, who also is awaiting sentencing after a plea deal, told jurors he helped another businessman, Mark St. Pierre, bribe Nagin with lavish vacation trips. St. Pierre did not testify. He was convicted in the case in 2011.

Nagin said he did not to know his vacation trips to Jamaica and Hawaii were paid for by St. Pierre. He also said he wasn't told that a family trip to New York was paid for by a movie theater owner who, prosecutors said, received help with a city tax issue after Katrina wiped out the theater.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Nagin is best remembered for his impassioned pleas for help after levees broke during Hurricane Katrina, flooding much of New Orleans and plunging the city into chaos
Haha! "Impassioned pleas." Give me a break. His idiotic 'chocolate city' and subsequent embarrassing back-pedaling comments were what I remember.

No surprise he is corrupt. Get back to me when a sentence is handed down.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here's another take. Thank you Obama Administration for pursuing this corruption case, regardless of the race of the object of the investigation.
There. I said something nice about the Obama Administration. You don't see that every day.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Here's another take. Thank you Obama Administration for pursuing this corruption case, regardless of the race of the object of the investigation.
There. I said something nice about the Obama Administration. You don't see that every day.
I will second that since I don't think this administration has done much, if any, good for the country. I'm glad Nagin got convicted and party/race weren't factors.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Really, you think BO will pardon him? :rolleyes:
His last month in office...you think the Clinton pardons were outrageous? Compared to Obama, Clinton will look like n amateur.

We have so much more to look forward to in the next three years.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
His last month in office...you think the Clinton pardons were outrageous? Compared to Obama, Clinton will look like n amateur.

Be more like Tidewater and say sumthin nice.!!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Sieglman is still trying for a pardon.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
In a state where slick talking political crooks have come from every background and color, Ray Nagin is just one in a long line. He can continue the legacy of Edwin Edwards and William Jefferson from a jail cell. Here's a pertinent article:

Louisiana named most corrupt state in America

Florida had the largest number of convictions in the ten-year period at 618 but Louisiana came out ahead per head of population, according to Business Insider earlier this week.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.