Rules Committee recommends 10 second substitution window

Status
Not open for further replies.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I think if you want this rule to have an impact and make sense (do what it's intended to do), it should be extended to 20 seconds (15 at least). The game should be balanced between offense and defense otherwise it's just flag football really.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Rules Ctne recommends 10 second substitution window

thDELETED
Not what I was saying. I was simply saying Oklahoma, a team who runs their fair share of HUNH, only ran 6 plays under 10 seconds. 7% of your total plays isn't much at all. I wasn't saying they won because of the HUNH.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think the biggest impact is what somebody else in this thread alluded to, that this rule will overall slow down the pace of the game. I don't think the referees and everyone else will be moving at such a torrid pace to accommodate the offense. This will result in the referees being in better positions so they don't miss as many calls. Im just glad they are doing something to combat the offense lining up and trying to "catch" the defense before they line up. That type of play is bush league to me.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Not what I was saying. I was simply saying Oklahoma, a team who runs their fair share of HUNH, only ran 6 plays under 10 seconds. 7% of your total plays isn't much at all. I wasn't saying they won because of the HUNH.
If half of those 6 plays were 3rd downs resulting in first downs, we probably win that game. It took AU one play to beat us. The fact that the offense CAN snap the ball at 5 seconds keeping defenses from substituting cannot be understated. You point to only 6 plays that OU did snap it early, but you cannot to how times we didn't substitute because of the fact that they could possibly snap it at any time.

This rule will not be the drastic change the the barners think it will, but it will help level the playing field for the defense. There are been so many rules in place to aid the offenses for years now, and I think this is a good rule to give the defense a chance to substitute.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

After some thought, I believe that this is not aimed so much at the play cycle itself but at the refs. It will at least take their attention somewhat off scurrying and scrambling back into place to accommodate the offense and pay some attention to the bare ten seconds accorded the defense...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Is that really Mike Gundy on twitter? If so, he is acting like a baby on there about this issue. Thought he was a "man".

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

If half of those 6 plays were 3rd downs resulting in first downs, we probably win that game. It took AU one play to beat us. The fact that the offense CAN snap the ball at 5 seconds keeping defenses from substituting cannot be understated. You point to only 6 plays that OU did snap it early, but you cannot to how times we didn't substitute because of the fact that they could possibly snap it at any time.

This rule will not be the drastic change the the barners think it will, but it will help level the playing field for the defense. There are been so many rules in place to aid the offenses for years now, and I think this is a good rule to give the defense a chance to substitute.
Here's the article about Oklahoma's plays against Bama.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sport...b32-94b6-11e3-80c2-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Whiz

Jan 28, 2014

After some thought, I believe that this is not aimed so much at the play cycle itself but at the refs. It will at least take their attention somewhat off scurrying and scrambling back into place to accommodate the offense and pay some attention to the bare ten seconds accorded the defense...
I agree with you, Earle.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

I agree with you, Earle.

Yup. The refs allow the games pace to speed up. All it takes is a ref moving at a normal speed, spotting the ball, checking that his buddies are set, and then allowing the offense to get ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

jagvocate

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2010

Counter proposal from HUNH coaches is being drafted now. It will involve a rule change. An "illegal procedure" penalty on the defense. If this rule is enacted, then defenders, for player safety, will be required to stay still and will not be able to move pre-snap. Just what I'm hearing.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Counter proposal from HUNH coaches is being drafted now. It will involve a rule change. An "illegal procedure" penalty on the defense. If this rule is enacted, then defenders, for player safety, will be required to stay still and will not be able to move pre-snap. Just what I'm hearing.
I hope that was supposed to be in blue 😉

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Here's the article about Oklahoma's plays against Bama.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sport...b32-94b6-11e3-80c2-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

Five of those quick snaps were during second-quarter scoring drives, including three consecutive plays during the march that put the Sooners up for good.

In that drive, OU snapped the ball eight seconds after a Keith Ford run, nine seconds after a Trevor Knight completion to LaColtan Bester and eight seconds after Sterling Shepard’s five-yard catch. A few plays later, Knight threw a 43-yard scoring strike to Jalen Saunders for a 24-17 lead.

This^^^ is why I think it will make a difference. I'd love to see the breakdown of the AU game, because they actually ran the same play like 3 or 4 times in a row at one point. These are back to back to back plays where our defense could not substitute. This is why I think the rule levels the playing field somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.