Status
Not open for further replies.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Re: Rules Ctne recommends 10 second substitution window

I like the change on targeting. Stupid the way the rule was written in the first place.

The defensive substitution rule doesn't go far enough, but it's a start.

'Course, none of this matters if they don't pass. I predict the change in the enforcement of targeting will pass easily. Defensive substitution will face big opposition.

[blue font] Good thing the Red Elephant Club is on it.[end blue font]

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

I read over the thread and didn't see any mention of the main reason the substitution idea is very important. Defensive players get gassed far more quickly than offensive players (this is especially true for linemen). Once the D-Lineman is wore out he is far more likely to get hurt. This was Coach Saban's point originally. As far as "dinged up" players go...they fall to the ground and the officials will stop the clock and allow substitution. In regards to player safety, I don't see how anyone could oppose this rule.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I like the change on targeting. Stupid the way the rule was written in the first place.

The defensive substitution rule doesn't go far enough, but it's a start.

'Course, none of this matters if they don't pass. I predict the change in the enforcement of targeting will pass easily. Defensive substitution will face big opposition.

[blue font] Good thing the Red Elephant Club is on it.[end blue font]
The other part of the substitution rule i would like to see them address is also making sure the REFS have time to get into place. I saw a lot of times where the HUNH teams were forcing the pace on the refs, and they were allowing the offense to dictate a pace that kept all the refs from being in place. This could easily be addressed with just a policy, that unless it was under 2 minutes the refs DON'T RUN to get into place between plays. Their normal pace would help. The second thing would be adopting the NFL rules around sideline communication, which is only allowed for a short time after the prior play. that would force the offensive coordinator to actually call a play without the team already being lined and seeing what the defense is doing. that would put the audibles back in the QBs hands (or head)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

A real problem with the substitution rule--it seriously screws up the 2-minute drill.
jthomas: Not sure if this is what you mean but in the article it addresses this as follows:

The committee also recommended a rules change that will allow defensive units to substitute within the first 10 seconds of the 40-second play clock, with the exception of the final two minutes of each half, starting with the 2014 season.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

The other part of the substitution rule i would like to see them address is also making sure the REFS have time to get into place. I saw a lot of times where the HUNH teams were forcing the pace on the refs, and they were allowing the offense to dictate a pace that kept all the refs from being in place. This could easily be addressed with just a policy, that unless it was under 2 minutes the refs DON'T RUN to get into place between plays. Their normal pace would help. The second thing would be adopting the NFL rules around sideline communication, which is only allowed for a short time after the prior play. that would force the offensive coordinator to actually call a play without the team already being lined and seeing what the defense is doing. that would put the audibles back in the QBs hands (or head)
That is interesting I did not know their was a sideline communication rule. I actually like that idea as I have always felt that the players are the ones playing the game, not the coaches, so let them play each other instead of the coaches. The QB should have more freedom to call plays imo.

RollTide-YNWA

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 27, 2009
Dothan

Agreed. Also, even though teams may not have hiked the ball with more than 30 seconds left on the clock in the past, the one thing I see this likely eliminating is the offensive team running to the line of scrimmage, getting set up to run a play, and then standing up to look over at the sidelines, thus "locking in" the defense. That gimmick would be rendered moot if a team had time to get the defensive players they wanted on the field.

It would also be nice to see an additional caveat that mentioned that the 10 seconds could be extended if the referees needed time to get set in the correct positions.

Has anyone heard anything about implementation? Would the head official stand over the ball until the 10 seconds had expired and then run back into position or would they just have someone watch the clock as they do for delay of game?

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

Why did even click on that link LOL. If I had also know it was Marshall I would have never clicked on it.. Next time please warn us.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I seriously doubt it will ever get passed. This forum and other Bama fans are about the only ones I see supporting it. Every media outlet I look at (print, local and national radio, TV) seems 100% against this rule. I've also seen more coaches speak out against it already versus ones coming out in support of the rule. I just see very little chance that it ever gets passed.

I like the rule but I do agree with the opponents of the rule on one thing, the health angle. There have been no studies done and just saying it is true doesn't make it true. I'd like to see some studies done so that if the health issues are true, there is data to back it up. Right now they don't have that data which is another reason why I don't think it will get passed.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

Also, would be nice to call blocking down field on those occasions when the QB acts like he's going to run, finds he can't and then steps back to pass.
This is probably the biggest problem they need to address. HUNH teams are getting away with this virtually every time. The ref's need time to get set (and breath) or they can't do their job. The 10 second proposal doesn't really give the defense much time to adjust but it does give the ref time to reset and the defense does have a chance to substitute, but it's got to be fast.

I hope the rule passes but if Auburn people don't think Saban is going to figure out how to beat this they are living in dream land. He started adjusting his recruiting a year ago for that purpose, we've been switching to be able to move in and out of a 4-3 look. It's just that the guys we have recruited to stop this were true freshman last year. It takes time to retool.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007

Why not implement the rule in for the entire game except for the last 2min of each half.
A real problem with the substitution rule--it seriously screws up the 2-minute drill.
Sorry but this has already been addressed....as usual Im late to the party again.

Last edited:

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado

I found this part a little confusing:

Under this rule proposal, the offense will not be allowed to snap the ball until the play clock reaches 29 seconds or less. If the offense snaps the ball before the play clock reaches 29 seconds, a 5-yard, delay-of-game penalty will be assessed. Under current rules, defensive players are not guaranteed an opportunity to substitute unless the offense substitutes first. This part of the rule will remain in place in scenarios where the play clock starts at 25 seconds.
When is the play clock set to 25 seconds instead of 40? Isn't it after a 1st down (since the clock stops to reset the chains)? That is really the time when the HUNH offenses do the quick snap "tempo" stuff anyway, so that part will not be affected. Seems like the defense should have the chance to substitute after a 1st down. If the offense is clicking and getting 10 yards per play for 3 plays in a row, there is no chance to substitute.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

I found this part a little confusing:

When is the play clock set to 25 seconds instead of 40? Isn't it after a 1st down (since the clock stops to reset the chains)? That is really the time when the HUNH offenses do the quick snap "tempo" stuff anyway, so that part will not be affected. Seems like the defense should have the chance to substitute after a 1st down. If the offense is clicking and getting 10 yards per play for 3 plays in a row, there is no chance to substitute.
Its after stoppages. So after a timeout the playclock isnpir t 25 seconds. Or afte a review. It's not after first downs.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I seriously doubt it will ever get passed. This forum and other Bama fans are about the only ones I see supporting it. Every media outlet I look at (print, local and national radio, TV) seems 100% against this rule. I've also seen more coaches speak out against it already versus ones coming out in support of the rule. I just see very little chance that it ever gets passed.

I like the rule but I do agree with the opponents of the rule on one thing, the health angle. There have been no studies done and just saying it is true doesn't make it true. I'd like to see some studies done so that if the health issues are true, there is data to back it up. Right now they don't have that data which is another reason why I don't think it will get passed.
That'll be a long wait, because there's just no way to tease out that data. If a DL gets gassed after a number of plays in a row, with no opportunity for subbing, how could it ever be determined that an injury occurred because of the fatigue from having to stay on the field?

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

To play 5 quarters of football in a 4 quarter game has allowed lesser teams to do much more with a lot less talent. These days between the spread and HUNH concept, anything that keeps a team from going jaw to jaw and cheek to cheek in a fair fight has been the norm. Not allowing the defense to adjust and take advantage of strategies of their own has certainly been less than fair. At some point it would be good to stop the nonsense. Maybe this is the first step that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.