Status
Not open for further replies.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Re: Rules Ctne recommends 10 second substitution window

It is about time.

I also like how they are looking into the targeting penalty. They want to be able to reverse the 15 yard penalty...if it is ruled as not a targeting situation. Sounds fair to me.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

In addition they are considering just shutting down the Barn's program. Cited continual little brother syndrome as primary reason.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Joe Schad tweeted they are proposing a rule that the offense cannot run a play until there is 29 or less seconds on the play clock.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Also, would be nice to call blocking down field on those occasions when the QB acts like he's going to run, finds he can't and then steps back to pass.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

They wouldn't need a rule change if they just enforced the rules already on the books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

Thank goodness. I like the rule about changing the targeting rule around too.
The 10 second window at least allows you to plan your substitutions. Every 4 plays or every 3 plays you can change out like hockey. It will require a lot more depth on teams and situational defense will still be harder to implement.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005

How many plays are actually snapped with 30 seconds on the play clock? I don't see this as being a big rule change.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

How many plays are actually snapped with 30 seconds on the play clock? I don't see this as being a big rule change.
Probably more than you would think with all the teams running the HUNH.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Most pundits are idiots.
I fixed it for you...

Anyway, I think this rule is a step in the right direction but I'm not sure it fixes some of the major problems. For starters, was any study conducted to insure 10 seconds is enough time to substitute? They seemed to look at it from the aspect that it won't really slow teams down, but if you have a banged up player trying to get off the field, is ten seconds enough time for everything to happen? I'd be much happier if they did some sort of study to insure it was actually enough time to substitute. I'm happy with the idea and approach though.

The health issue is a very valid one, as things stand now against a hurry up team, if you're dinged up you have two options really. One would be drop to the ground, and have the crowd booing you for daring to get hurt in a football game, and the other is just stay in there, which obviously isn't something we should force injured players into doing.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN

The article said that the committee found that most teams running the HUNH offense did not snap the ball with 30 seconds remining on the play clock. This rule is trying to offset the the advantage gained by coaches that use the offense to keep existing defensive personnel on the field, look at that personnel and their formations, then call his offensive play based on that.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

I hope it passes. I like the fact that it would give coaches a few extra seconds to call their defensive sets and get the players in the right place. I think it would be huge, but.......I don't think it will happen this year.

califbamafan

1st Team
Nov 7, 2005
Rialto, Calif

I like the 10 second rule and really like the targeting one. The targeting rule was really bad the way it was used last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.