Does Coach Saban See A Little Of "His Younger Self" In Lane Kiffin?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I know. Blasphemy is a crime punishable by crucifixion, but I think it's a legitimate question.
I don't know the exact circumstances behind Coach Kiffin's hiring, and really don't care. If our offense works with him as coordinator, I'm happy.
That simple.
But I do know that no head coach is going to hire an assistant who he feels no connection or chemistry with. Or knowing that they will not, under any circumstances, be able to get along or communicate.
I can see similarities.
Coach Saban is very short with the local media because they ask some pretty dumb questions.
Coach Kiffin, as a head coach, and a young one, was very short with the local media, as well, for the same reason.
They're both a bit arrogant. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. They just are.
They both know their stuff.
Coach Saban has proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt, and Coach Kiffin has proven he can run an offense. He was just thrust into way too big of a responsibility, as a head coach, at way too young of an age, at too many places, that expected too much. He actually did a pretty good job at both UT and USC, but it wasn't perceived as good enough. John Madden couldn't have won at Oakland in the last decade--so Lane's already faced great adversity as a young coach.
Coach Saban, in the most incredible fact I've ever read, was an assistant for 23 years before ever getting a head coaching opportunity.
He definitely over came some adversity as a young coach, because you know he had to have known, he was "good enough" to lead a program.
All that being written, think it can almost be the perfect marriage?
Cocky, arrogant, similar?
Does he see a little bit of his younger self in the guy we learned to hate before we hired him?
You tell me, but I really think he does, even if just a little bit.
Roll Tide,
Sip

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
You make some fair & valid comparisons between the two's coaching careers..They're both considered among the best on offense & defense..It will be interesting to watch how well Kiffin does here & where he goes after some school comes calling once he has success here & they will come calling..I have no doubts about that at all..

Last edited:

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
I think Kiffin was the product of "to much to soon" I mean he was CO-offensive coordinator when he was hired by the Raiders. I mean as said above nobody was going to win with the Raiders (bless their heart, I think I used to have as much Raider gear as I did Tide gear). just my opinion though. I don't ever think the UT job was "serious" for him either. he was out of a job and they came calling. I'm not sure if ODL see's "his younger self" as much as he may see a bright young O.C. that needs a little career management and guidance.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
You make some fair & valid comparisons between the two's coaching careers..They're both considered among the best on offense & defense..It will be interesting to watch how well Muffin does here & where he goes after some school comes calling once he has success here & they will come calling..I have no doubts about that at all..
I know it's tough to accept him. Bad blood etc.
But Coach Saban knew that, and that's why I proposed the question.
He definitely believed in something that we might have never seen.
Agreed?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As has been discussed, Saban wanted to hire him in 2007. Lane declined and took the Raiders job a few weeks later. Someone on Finebaum (Thamel maybe?) said Kiffin has tried to imitate Saban throughout his head coaching career. An example of it is Kiffin's media ways.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Word is that CLK made a tremendous impression on the administration and football staff at Central High.
From all I've heard, he's quite good, one on one with players, or in the type of situation you describe.
We'll see, of course, but I just have this strange feeling, that it will work out better than most are expecting.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
As has been discussed, Saban wanted to hire him in 2007. Lane declined and took the Raiders job a few weeks later. Someone on Finebaum (Thamel maybe?) said Kiffin has tried to imitate Saban throughout his head coaching career. An example of it is Kiffin's media ways.
I'll buy that argument in a heartbeat. They're like twins in that situation.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% wit ya sip, he knows exactly how good of an OC Kiiffin truly is, Kiffin's offense while at the viles HC, gave perhaps the greatest or on the best D's we've had at Bama, all it could handle..So Coach Saban knows from experience just how good & what Kiffin can bring to our offense..I'm actually excited he's our OC & am anxious to see what kinda changes he make to our offense..I have a sneaky suspicion our offense will be the most explosive we've had at Bama..
I know it's tough to accept him. Bad blood etc.
But Coach Saban knew that, and that's why I proposed the question.
He definitely believed in something that we might have never seen.
Agreed?

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I agree 100% wit ya sip, he knows exactly how good of an OC Kiiffin truly is, Kiffin's offense wholesale the viles HC, gave perhaps the greatest or on the best D's we've had at Bama..So Coach Saban knows from experience just how good & what Kiffin can bring to our offense..I'm actually excited he's our OC & am anxious to see what kinda changes he make to our offense..I have a sneaky suspicion our offense will be the most explosive we've had at Bama..
I definitely think we'll be sounder, and more unpredictable. I think our tight ends will go from average in the media, to super star potential. O.J. Howard may be the most grateful of all before this scene plays out.

Bama Whiz

Jan 28, 2014
...because.....?
Don't get me wrong. I love the CLK hire, but comparing him to CNS is similar to the Fibonacci sequence. It's mathematical and all relative.

My post count isn't up to par with yours 'sip. Gonna sit back and enjoy the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I highly doubt it. I think CNS was just hiring the best OC he felt was available. I think you are reaching a little bit relative to the title of this thread. JMO

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Don't get me wrong. I love the CLK hire, but comparing him to CNS is similar to the Fibonacci sequence. It's mathematical and all relative.

My post count isn't up to par with yours 'sip. Gonna sit back and enjoy the show.

Knew this would come up. NO comparison. Coach Saban is the best. Coach K. is a pup, trying to find his way. I was asking if Coach Saban, the proven coach, see's a little of his younger self, in Coach K., who's trying to figure himself out.

sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I highly doubt it. I think CNS was just hiring the best OC he felt was available. I think you are reaching a little bit relative to the title of this thread. JMO
I respect your opinion very much. BUT--you know as well as me, that Coach Saban knew the reaction he'd get from most Tide fans, including myself.
In all honesty, I was like, "Are you kidding me?". And I didn't like it.
But he hired LK anyway, and that just made me think, "He see's something, that maybe I don't".
There's a connection. That's all I'm saying. Whether it's right or wrong, well we'll find out.
Coach S. has tended to be pretty much on target so far :)

Bama Whiz

Jan 28, 2014
I have faith in CNS as our ball coach. Second guessing his decision making is something I don't waste energy on.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.