Yes, I'm an Aggie :>) Go easy on me!

Good Ag

Feb 11, 2014
Hey Bama Fan,

question for you. football related because, well - it's about football.

I'm thinking about bringing my family to the A&M/Alabama game later this year. a question or two.

(a) how do I get there? (yeah, I recognize if I were on the A&M boards - this is where the flames would start. we call it the "zoo" - so I don't mind). I don't see that you can actually fly in to Tuscaloosa. is it best to fly in to Birmingham, or possibly Atlanta?? my plan would be to fly in on Friday and return Sunday. googling around it sounds like driving Birmingham / Tuscaloosa can be quite the traffic jam before and after games.

(b) which leads me to my next question. where should I stay. frankly, I'm thinking Tuscaloosa. enjoy your fine city for the weekend and drive to the airport Sunday following. thoughts?? good hotels or B&B's??

(c) how about good places to eat?

(d) any kid friendly stuff to do pending game time?

Lay it on me Tide. I welcome what I'd expect from the "zoo"; but feel pretty comfortable that you folks will offer me some good feedback.

Grats on arguably the #1 recruiting class, again.......... Look forward to seeing you guys in the trenches (with hopefully a better defensive effort and some semblance of a replacement for JFF!)

Gig 'Em

Good Ag

PS - not sure what this says about the IQ of a Good Ag vs Tide ;>) I live in Houston. sorry about that. should have included in original.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Fly into Birmingham.

Where to stay is an issue. If you throw enough money at it, you can accomplish anything, including a hotel room in Tuscaloosa on an SEC game day weekend. But it'll cost you. Plus, unless you're in the Capstone Sheraton, you won't be close to much of anything game-related. Good luck on the Capstone Sheraton. You'll have to luck into a cancellation.

All things considered, for a once-every-other-year trip, I'd suggest staying in Birmingham. Several good lodging options there, and a bunch of really good three-figure restaurants (google Frank Stitt, Chris Hastings, or Cliff Holt). Probably a dozen at the next level down.

Depending on the exact game time, leave Bham about 4-5 hours before game time. The Quad has lots of options for kids, and the tailgating is something to see. The Bryant Museum is a must if you're a college football fan, let alone an Alabama fan, and there are several watering holes for adults nearby.

Between drive time and seeing the sights in Tuscaloosa, you won't have a ton of time before kickoff.

Traffic out is an issue. In case it's a night game, don't plan a flight out too early Sunday.

PM me if you'd like details on any of that.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'd say your best bet would be to fly into Birmingham if theirs a direct flight. As for where to stay hopefully someone with more knowledge of the area hotels can help there.

I will say the times I'm able to make a game I drive in from Atlanta game day morning and have no problem with traffic. Of course driving around Atlanta kind of jades you when it comes to what's significant traffic but Houston traffic ought to prepare you for Birmingham/Tuscaloosa traffic.

I'd study a map of Tuscaloosa and the campus vicinity because there are several ways to get to the stadium parking areas that have better traffic flows than the main drags.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Eating wise: Big Bad Wolves Bar-BQ sets up on the outside of The Houndstooth on Friday of game week and shut down when they run out of meat. Really good sandwiches and nachos.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Congrats on arguably the #1 recruiting class? Do you have someone else in mind that might be #1? I know A&M had a real good class and it all boils down to who can coach em up the best. Hopefully you will have an enjoyable time in 'T' Town, Birmingham is an hour drive under normal circumstances, I would leave B'ham about 6 hours before game time and not be in a hurry to leave after the game so the traffic will calm down some what.
Enjoy,
Frog

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Southwest flies from Hobby to Birmingham. Probably can get United from IAH too.

The Tutwiler in Downtown Birmingham is where I've stayed. It's a Wydham Hotel. It's handier staying in Birmingham for getting to/from airport.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Southwest flies from Hobby to Birmingham. Probably can get United from IAH too.

The Tutwiler in Downtown Birmingham is where I've stayed. It's a Wydham Hotel. It's handier staying in Birmingham for getting to/from airport.
This ^^^^

And Southwest offers daily flights between HOU and BHM at least one of which is non-stop. Best fares (incl 2 bag check) bar none if you reserve ahead. You can find lodging in Tuscaloosa if you book ASAP and aren't too picky, and I'm not talking a roach motel.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Ever consider driving? Not too bad a trip, if I remember correctly it's about 6 hours from Houston. Like I said, I haven't made that drive in a long time and was coming from San Antonio. At the cost of airfares you might even save a few bucks.

JohnS

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2013
Ever consider driving? Not too bad a trip, if I remember correctly it's about 6 hours from Houston. Like I said, I haven't made that drive in a long time and was coming from San Antonio. At the cost of airfares you might even save a few bucks.

It's a ten hour drive from Houston to Tuscaloosa with no stops.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Hou...loosa&2s=AL&2z=35401#c6298b59e884b925da7ff8df

Depending on the size of the family driving might still be less expensive. It isn't a bad drive.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Lay it on me Tide. I welcome what I'd expect from the "zoo"; but feel pretty comfortable that you folks will offer me some good feedback.

Grats on arguably the #1 recruiting class, again.......... Look forward to seeing you guys in the trenches (with hopefully a better defensive effort and some semblance of a replacement for JFF!)

Gig 'Em

Good Ag

Well, if it's official that you're not bringing Johnny Football with you, welcome to the Capstone!!!!

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
I agree with all those who suggest staying in Birmingham. Go ahead and make those reservations soon - you can cancel later if you need to. I haven't studied the 2014 schedule, but there is a good chance this could be the night game that week, so NOT planning an early flight out the next morning also gets my vote.

I really agree with those who suggest leaving Birmingham 5 or 6 hours before game time. There is so much neat stuff to see and do on game day - the Quad, the tailgating, Bryant Museum, the Walk of Champions, etc. The food vendors at one end of the Quad are decent places for pre-game food, but if you arrive early enough, there are some good restaurants. Alabama BBQ is (primarily) pork, not beef like you are used to in Texas, so be sure and try some.

Go to rolltide.com (the University's official sports web site) for things like the parking map and the gameday schedule.

And above all, follow the happenings here, among your new friends at Tidefans.com! We welcome other teams' fans - as long as they hold themselves to the same standards of behavior we hold ourselves to. I have seen other visiting fans come here with questions, and all have been treated well and given good information.

Welcome.

Good Ag

Feb 11, 2014
Thank you Bama Fans!!

I want to thank everyone that took the time to share some thoughts on a trip from Houston to Tuscaloosa. all of your thoughts were very helpful, and much appreciated.

Congrats on arguably the #1 recruiting class? Do you have someone else in mind that might be #1?
Enjoy,
Frog
real quick - perhaps a misunderstanding?? I was congratulating Bama. you guys got #1 ranking from Rivals, SI, ESPN; basically anyone who ranks.

Roll Tide!

Good luck folks.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Another Birmingham lodging option: look at hotels on Hwy 280 at the I-459 interchange. Good hotels and restaurants along there, moderate to expensive prices. You're about ten miles from airport but it's all interstate.
You guys were good to me before and after the game last year in College Station. You can also PM me for info and I'll be glad to help.
Also look at the uagameday website for parking maps and other info.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Another Birmingham lodging option: look at hotels on Hwy 280 at the I-459 interchange. Good hotels and restaurants along there, moderate to expensive prices. You're about ten miles from airport but it's all interstate.
You guys were good to me before and after the game last year in College Station. You can also PM me for info and I'll be glad to help.
Also look at the uagameday website for parking maps and other info.
There is a Holiday Inn that we used to stay at a lot, the rooms are nice the staff is nice there is a pool indoors, and its very affordable 5001 Academy Ln, Bessemer, AL 35022
(205) 424-2600

There are several restaurants and a Walmart less than a mile away and after the game you can be back at the hotel probably in 2 hours or so. There is a Hampton Inn thats nice too. you can see the interstate from both hotels, and you are on the West side of Birmingham.

MDB1981

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 29, 2010
Nectar, al
There is a Holiday Inn that we used to stay at a lot, the rooms are nice the staff is nice there is a pool indoors, and its very affordable 5001 Academy Ln, Bessemer, AL 35022

There are several restaurants and a Walmart less than a mile away and after the game you can be back at the hotel probably in 2 hours or so. There is a Hampton Inn thats nice too. you can see the interstate from both hotels, and you are on the West side of Birmingham.
^^^^^
This
Your only 40 miles from the University from here

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.